Rotkee vs. Pico

More
3 years 1 month ago #47575 by Wightscope
Replied by Wightscope on topic Rotkee vs. Pico
Wow you did buy the full kit ! Thanks for the pics.
The software looks very clean, interested to hear what you think after a bit of use.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 1 month ago #47596 by stevieturbo
Replied by stevieturbo on topic Rotkee vs. Pico
I certainly didn't buy the full...but did buy a selection from what they had in stock.

I already have some other parts anyway. So far no joy with the wireless aspect though.

All in less than £500...doesnt seem bad at all when even the cheaper EU/US/UK stuff want that for the scope alone.

More
3 years 4 weeks ago - 3 years 4 weeks ago #47830 by stevieturbo
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationSo far, have tested it on a few things ( no cars though ), just messing about. Software doesn't seem too bad really.

I did buy a large cheap current clamp off ebay and as I didn't have anything high current handy in the garage...decided to try measuring me TIG welding lol.
I have a little Hantek clamp, but it's the small jaw version. So I bought this. At only £29 seemed rude not to. It feels pretty good quality, albeit with banana plugs, no BNC. No big deal though

Seems the forum doesn't like ebay links....but it was ISO-TECH ICA39T 1000A AC/DC CURRENT TRANSDUCER.

?

However, the MTPro wasnt happy and threw errors every time I struck an arc to weld. Don't know why, will send the error message to Rotkee and ask.

I tried scoping current and voltage of a little battery tester that performs a discharge test on small 6/12v batteries as I wanted to see what it was doing.
In the time of around 60ms it performs multiple load tests on the battery ( this one was deemed flat though, small 12v 7Ah battery ) even though no load it registers 12.38v

[img

I did try scoping the live cable of a heat gun as an ac current test. That didn't seem to perform ok, with it fluctuating around -16A under load, and even with the power turned off at the plug, it still seemed to cycle around 50hz so clamp must be picking up something.
Not sure how to zero it....must read instructions I guess

[img

I bought the little pulse sensor thingy for the likes of diesel pipes, so will hopefully get to try that in a couple of weeks on some old generators in work to see if it actually gives a usable signal of an injector firing etc.
Last edit: 3 years 4 weeks ago by stevieturbo.

More
3 years 4 weeks ago #47833 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Rotkee vs. Pico
I have no idea why, but mine just now shipped. :unsure: :angry: Really wish I'd have ordered more test equipment like stevieturbo did...

More
2 years 11 months ago #48726 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Rotkee vs. Pico
For whatever it's worth to anyone following along, I did eventually get my MTPro back in April. :silly: Getting the payment to process was the hardest (longest) part. I don't know of a more straightforward way to do this if you live in the US.

Purely as a scope, it's pretty fantastic. The MTPro software calls it 'Working Space'. The options for displaying and manipulating the various channels seems endless. :silly: It's definitely a different experience from the Pico software, so it takes some getting used to.

The automated testing functions are a little bit harder. With no English instructions on how to set up the tests, it's a game of trial and error to get them working correctly. The 'El.Power circuits' test, for example:

These are the results you get from completing the test. Cool stuff! I can sell service with this. BUT, what you don't know is the sequence to get you here. Battery below 12.6V, start the engine, idle for more than five seconds, raise the RPM, add loads, idle down. That all sounds pretty standard for starting/charging system testing, but you don't know how the software wants it. :silly: Getting to these results probably took seven or eight tries, and I STILL didn't get it quite right.

The intake pulse test is more straightforward, but still a bit fiddly:

The hardest part is making the ignition sync work. I didn't order an Lx1 Inductive Sensor , which is probably what they want you to be using. :lol: So I tried several of my homebrew secondary probes. Ended up backprobing the coil signal wire, and it still wasn't completely happy with that.

I'll keep playing with it when I get time!

More
2 years 11 months ago #48728 by stevieturbo
I did buy a selection of the inductive sensors, but haven't got around to using them yet.

The pre-configured accessories is pretty decent, although when doing a custom one, it needs a really really tiny image of it lol

More
2 years 11 months ago #48737 by vb4me
Replied by vb4me on topic Rotkee vs. Pico
Has anyone else had this message.
Haven't been able to try mine out yet.

More
2 years 11 months ago #48738 by stevieturbo
Is that not the error you get when it is not plugged in and powered up ?

More
2 years 11 months ago #48739 by vb4me
I can open up the software but when I plug in the scope this is the message that pops up.

More
2 years 11 months ago #48740 by stevieturbo
are you plugging the scope in and powering it up before opening the software, or after ?

needs to be powered up etc before.

Does the LAN led bit light up at the rear when powered on ?

More
2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #48743 by juergen.scholl
Replied by juergen.scholl on topic Rotkee vs. Pico

Tyler wrote: For whatever it's worth to anyone following along, I did eventually get my MTPro back in April. :silly: Getting the payment to process was the hardest (longest) part. I don't know of a more straightforward way to do this if you live in the US.

The automated testing functions are a little bit harder. With no English instructions on how to set up the tests, it's a game of trial and error to get them working correctly. The 'El.Power circuits' test, for example.

I'll keep playing with it when I get time!

Tyler,

The only scope that is authorized to use the automated tests/scripts like the El-power, CSS and P-x test is the USB-Autoscope. Andrey Shulgin ,the author of those scripts, decided to make the latest versions/algorithms for the El-power script available available only via internet connection on a dedicated server.

You'll find detailed information about the test procedures in English on the autoscope website, pm me if necessary.

usbautoscope.eu/es/diagnostics/elpower-script/

On their you-tube channel you'll find instructive videos on how to perform all of those tests as well.

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.
Last edit: 2 years 11 months ago by juergen.scholl.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tyler, racer55

More
2 years 11 months ago #48744 by stevieturbo
It's a pity that other scope companies could not come to an arrangement with Andrey to use them legally.

Or even end users pay some sort of fee up front for access.

but it does seem to confirm that the MTPro should not be using them.

More
2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #48746 by juergen.scholl
Replied by juergen.scholl on topic Rotkee vs. Pico

vb4me wrote: I can open up the software but when I plug in the scope this is the message that pops up.

Quite some possible causes, from a broken usb cable to a bad unit.....

Supposing you installed the drivers correctly: Is the scope recognized by the windows device manager?

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.
Last edit: 2 years 11 months ago by juergen.scholl.

More
2 years 11 months ago #48748 by stevieturbo
There are no drivers as such. It's LAN based.

And the USB plug only provides 5v power to the unit, hence asking of there are any lights on the rear that indicate it has power.

More
2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #48763 by vb4me
stevieturbo I have 5v at the connector. No lights on rear of unit. unplugging then reinserting the plug results in a yellow and a green LED lighting up briefly then going out. Sounding like a faulty unit?
It does this with the LAN cable plugged in or out.
Last edit: 2 years 11 months ago by vb4me. Reason: extra info

More
2 years 11 months ago #48776 by stevieturbo
Sounds like it is getting power. Lack of lights thereafter is maybe just a sign of no comms. Would need to plug mine in to see.

Maybe worth testing if the LAN cable has continuity on the relevant pins ( it probably only uses 4 of them )
And of course...does your LAN port work on the computer ok ?

More
2 years 11 months ago #48778 by vb4me
I would assume so. I have even tried a lan to usb adapter. I will check the cable in the morning though

More
2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #48779 by stevieturbo
LAN to USB may not work as it is not what the device and protocols are expecting.

And never assume it works, hook it up to a LAN device or network and verify.,

I bought a used laptop a few years ago and mucked about for ages with no connection, only to find out the port was broken.

Or plug the device into a home PC to test.
Last edit: 2 years 11 months ago by stevieturbo.

More
2 years 11 months ago #48804 by vb4me
Have tried another computer and lan cable . Same result. Looks like a faulty unit

More
2 years 11 months ago #48819 by stevieturbo
I'll test my cable later to see what pins are actually used.

Not sure if they use a straight or crossover setup

Time to create page: 0.265 seconds