Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Volkswagen 1.6i strange problem - Fixed

More
7 years 2 months ago #6061 by Ash03
Ok thanks I will try that in the morning and let you know the outcome.

I have a question though..
Will this cause the car to seem as if it is for starving for fuel on partial throttle? (I honestly dont think so hence I didnt actually suspect a faulty throttlebody)

And, did you work with 3pin knock sensors? i have no idea how to test them, all 3 wires show very less voltage and im not sure if it uses a 5v ref or not. I did see 1 of Paul's videos where a faulty knock sensor was retarding timing (fuel starving effect).. However, I also tried unplugging the knock sensor and it didn't make a difference.. I will do the other tests and post up the results in a few hours. Thanks for the help

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 months ago #6070 by Ben
Well maybe I'm actually more interested in the throttle switch on pin 3 and 8 I just want to know if it idles without the throttle position signal . As to your knock sensor can you view the signal on measuring blocks ? Normally I would check with scope I don't know if you can test it with a dvom do you have a diagram as to what the wiring is for that knock sensor. How did you time the distributor did the engine run smooth to set timing?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

More
7 years 2 months ago #6076 by Ash03
Hi sorry for the late reply, got abit busy..

I will disconnect the tps signal now and post the result.
I did not notice the knock sensor values on measuring blocks.
Unfortunately i don't have a scope yet..

I don't have what you would call a wiring diagram - I have an ecu pinout that the guys here use to convert the standard ecu to an aftermarket management system. The pinout data does show me the knock sensor wiring but it does not tell me the purpose of each wire (pin1=5v ref, pin2=signal, etc)

Because of the hunting idle, I could not set the timing 100%, i tried basic setting block 004 but it does not give me the option to lock the rpm to set the timing, is there another block that will lock the rpm for timing setting?
The timing is somewhat close to correct, mp9.0 requires 6degrees btdc of timing at 1500rpm. So i got somebody to hold the rpm at 1500rpm while i adjusted the distributor to 6deg btdc. Once I do sort out the idle issue i will correct the timing. (Im sure a few degrees of timing would not give me the problem that i am having)

Heres the pinout info that I am using
[IMG

More
7 years 2 months ago #6077 by Ash03
NB: Velociti is 04-08 mk1 golf that has the same Bosch MP9.0 ecu and wiring loom as the Polo that I am working with.

More
7 years 2 months ago #6082 by Ash03
Ok so I unplugged the Tps signal wire - the car still doesn't idle.

The throttlebody wiring was tampered with and i found the following values from my recent test

Key on engine off - testing throttlebody wiring
Pin 1: idle control motor +12v - 0v
Pin 2: idle control motor ground - 0v
Pin 3: closed throttle position switch for idle motor - 11.8v
Pin 4: tps +5v supply/reference - 5.03v
Pin 5: tps signal to ecu - 5.52
Pin 6: not used
Pin 7: ground - 0v
Pin 8: closed throttle position switch for idle motor - 5.52v

Key on engine on
Pin 1 - varies around 2-13v
Pin 3 - snapping the throttle 8-13v
Pin 8 - constant 3.4v

Sensor ground on pin 7 was way too loose and broke off when i touched it, I am going to sort that out and retest. I honestly have no direction with this car and don't know what to expect next. :unsure:

More
7 years 2 months ago #6088 by Ben
Hmm we need information on the closed throttle switch that doesn't seem right to me. it is responsible for telling the ecu to take control of idle

More
7 years 2 months ago #6089 by Ash03
Yeah man I don't know what to do now.. Im asking around for a proper wiring digram

More
7 years 2 months ago #6090 by Ben
Have you spoken to the customer as to when the throttle surging started if someone had worked on it at that time, what was done .... I've been looking for information as well but I haven't really found anything on that vehicle . Have you cleaned the throttle body and the IAC ports?

More
7 years 2 months ago #6092 by Ash03
Yes i did, he does not speak English very well so it was difficult for me to understand what he was trying to say.

The car had alot of people working on it though, had a distributor problem, starter problem, alternator problem, all of those parts were changed with aftermarket pirate parts.

I did clean the entire throttlebody.

The voltages on the closed throttle position switch is confusing me.. Common sense tells you that there should be a closed throttle position switch and an open throttle position switch, and thats the reason I dont want to rely on the pinout info that I have.
I was unfortunate that i could not meet my friend who has a similar vehicle to do a few tests on his car

More
7 years 2 months ago #6093 by Ben
Can you post a pic of the throttle body so I can see if it looks like anything I've seen

More
7 years 2 months ago #6094 by Ash03
Ok hold on a few minutes..

Isnt the idle control motor a pwm circuit? (pulse width modulation)

More
7 years 2 months ago #6095 by Ash03

More
7 years 2 months ago #6097 by Ben
Ok that throttle body does require alignment which method did you use #1 ? Did you check the code in the engine module on your vag com as to which 1 you have ? Here's the link

wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Throttle_Body_Alignment_(TBA)

More
7 years 2 months ago #6098 by Ash03
I used the Cable-throttled engines method group 098.

And i did it every time I disconnect the tb, made no difference

More
7 years 2 months ago #6101 by Ben
Do you hear the throttle body cycle when you do it and check the ecu to make sure it's not the 2nd 1 I had 1 customer with a early b5 passat that had cable and still used the 2nd adaptation and it wouldn't run without doing the TBA

More
7 years 2 months ago #6102 by Ash03
Yes I do hear it doing the cycle, I even saw it.

What do you mean by check the ecu to make sure its not the second one?

More
7 years 2 months ago #6103 by Ash03
Oh yes.. Im sure I used the correct method because i only knew about group 098.. lol

And the tb does cycle for a few seconds

More
7 years 2 months ago #6119 by Ben
Do you have the part number of the throttle body maybe I can find pin information based on that

More
7 years 2 months ago #6139 by Ash03
I dont know the part number off hand.. but I will remove it and post up the part number

More
7 years 2 months ago #6146 by Ash03
Part Number is: 1 HS 133 064

Time to create page: 0.282 seconds