Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2015 ford transit no crank/no start UPDATE

More
3 years 8 months ago #43224 by Chad

surplus238 wrote: Hi guys, I notice that the audio mod is somehow involved in the starting system, has anyone had a problem with that?
One other symptom I had not thought about. when I turn the key on the radio comes on, I turn the radio off but the next time I turn the key on the radio comes on again

I believe that the ACM receives power, from Fuse 29, (which receives its power from Pin 37), when the key is turned to the "ON" position. The way Service Information labels Fuse 29 backs this theory up.

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 8 months ago #43229 by surplus238
I do not have power at fuse 29 and have not had any there through this whole thing. I would really like to know which pins on the starter relay socket should have power and when.
I am going out now to get the van in the air and check out the wire damage.
A point of interest- the injectors flash a noid light but the plug coil connectors do not

More
3 years 8 months ago #43230 by Chad

surplus238 wrote: . I would really like to know which pins on the starter relay socket should have power and when.

The pin with the White/Green wire (2) gets power from Pin 37 of the PCM when the key is in the ACC or RUN position.
The pin with the Yellow wire (1) gets a Ground from Pin 7 of the PCM when the key is in the START position.

More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #43231 by Chad
Copy and Past:

Powertrain Control Module (PCM)

The PCM provides power and ground to the starter relay to initiate cranking of the engine.

Starting System

The starting system controls the cranking of the engine. Under normal operation, when the ignition is turned to START, the PCM receives the following inputs:

Request to crank engine message from the BCM
PATS enable message from the BCM
Correct transmission park or neutral input from the automatic transmission

When the PCM receives the correct inputs, voltage and ground is supplied to the starter relay coil. When the starter relay coil is energized, it provides voltage to the starter solenoid, allowing the starter motor to crank the engine.

The PCM disengages the starter once an engine Revolutions Per Minute (RPM) threshold is reached, a set crank time is exceeded or the ignition is turned OFF.

Passive Anti-theft System (PATS)

This vehicle may be equipped with PATS . PATS disables the engine from starting if an unprogrammed PATS key is used or an invalid PCM ID is received. The PATS is controlled by the BCM . If there is a PATS concern that disables the engine, the IPC displays a corresponding message in the message center.

Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by Chad.

More
3 years 8 months ago #43232 by surplus238
Well the wire problem was a hope but there was no damage to the wires, the plastic cover was chaffed but the wires were intact. I ran a scan on the system and find a PO161a-01 and a PO160a-2 the scanner tells me that the imobilizer does not match the PCM. I am wondering if the programer put the pats notation in when he programed the pcm

More
3 years 8 months ago #43235 by Matt T
Even though the vehicle doesn't physically have PATS the BCM might still send a PATS message to the PCM.

static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2017/MC-10127405-9999.pdf

More
3 years 8 months ago #43236 by surplus238
It would seem that the PCM is looking for PATS in the BCM and mot finding it, my key programmer tells me that cannot find a imobileizer. There is no PATS light in the dash lights. I am going to be talking to Ford tomorrow as they programed the PCM from the vin # and it should give them all the information they would need.

More
3 years 8 months ago #43285 by surplus238
Ok guys we have flashed the PCM but no change, ran codes again and on running the DTC's I am getting a fault 15 on the BCM and it tells me that there is no communication between the BCM and the PCM. L am looking at the wiring between the BCM and the PCM and I notice the violet with org goes to the awake on the PCM. Does anyone know what kind of signal I should get from the vt/og wire? I am getting a no fault message from the PCM.
By the way Chad, where do you get those nice wiring diagrams. I have taken the steering column apart and I do not have a PATS tranduce in the system.

More
3 years 7 months ago #43785 by surplus238
Ok guys, an update, in the ford tsb's I found a tsb on the BCM, if it is replace it is possible that the new unit will not accept a flash, Ford is still working on the problem but I have bypassed the start wiring at the BCM and the van now starts and runs. The # 29 fuse only activates the ACM and is only powered when the key is in the start position, it has nothing to do with starting. I am not going to buy another BCM unless Ford finds a fix foe the problem. The van works fine this way.

Time to create page: 0.248 seconds