Cordless ratchet suggestions

More
7 years 7 months ago #2223 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Cordless ratchet suggestions
I do use 1/4" quite a bit, but that's really only under the hood. Having the 3/8" version of the cordless ratchet is a good thing, since it can take much more manual torque than the 1/4" can.

Noah, I'm with ya about the 1/2" stuff. I have the Snap-On 3/8" 18V cordless, but I usually have to swap it for the 1/2" when it won't break stuff loose. It's to the point that I just go directly for the 1/2" and use an adapter when needed. Is the 3/8" weak, or am I demanding? :huh:

My driver sometimes gets a bit narks about our requests.

Not gonna lie, I had to go look this up :lol:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago #2225 by matt.white
Was meant to be narky which we use as angry or aggressive. Dam auto correct.

Now you know how we feel trying to translate Paul's videos on the go. Jokes ;-)

More
7 years 7 months ago #2251 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Cordless ratchet suggestions

matt.white wrote: Was meant to be narky which we use as angry or aggressive. Dam auto correct.

Now you know how we feel trying to translate Paul's videos on the go. Jokes ;-)

:lol: Fair point. I was watching the beginning of Kilo Two Bravo the other day, couldn't understand 95% of what they were saying :huh:

More
7 years 6 months ago #2513 by ecwurban
I started out in my driveway and didn't have access to a large compressor so I went with everything electric. Currently I have a Milwaukee 18v Fuel 1/2" Impact that's rated at 600ftlbs on high and 300 I think on low. It'll take most harmonic balancers off and has no problem with even stubborn axle nuts. It's bulky and big. There are plenty of places you can fit a regular air impact in that you would not be able to fit one of these. I still absolutely adore it though. Especially for repetitious tasks like taking off all the wheels. You can run around the car without having to worry about air lines! I'm definitely sticking with electric impacts but one year I will pick up one of the low profile 1/2" air impacts...

I also have a Milwaukee 3/8 impact that I love. It's an actual impact wrench with a 3/8 drive on it. It's not one of those impact drivers that take a hex bit. This guy is awesome because it has 3 power settings. High is 200ftlbs, medium is about 65ftlbs and low is about 5ftlbs. I can't tell you how awesome the low setting is. I use it all the time. You don't have to worry about stripping anything on that setting. Not even those stupid GM plastic hub cap nuts.... It's also amazing on tranny valve bodies. They can have like 10-20 fasteners in the range of 80-100 inch pounds. I'm lazy. I hate manual speed wrenches :P

I also have a 3/8 AC Delco 12v electric ratchet. It's rated at 57ftlbs. Pretty solid price too. Was $150 new like 5 years ago. Came with tool, charger and two batteries. It's handy but it's kinda long and bulky. I find myself not grabbing it that much anymore because of access issues. I went with a tiny BluePoint 1/4" air ratchet rated at 30ftlbs. I added a rotating and pivoting air fitting and a 3ft section of skinny flexible air line. I hate air tools but this thing is smaller than your fist. I know it'll fit so I'm always going for that first. One of the guys I work with got a Milwaukee 12v 3/8" electric ratchet. It's smaller with a much lower profile head than mine. Mine has way more balls than his but his will fit in many places mine won't and if you get it spinning first before you hit the fastener then that'll help to a point.

Time to create page: 0.192 seconds