Cordless ratchet suggestions

More
7 years 7 months ago #1643 by Tyler
Per the request in today's SD video, I absolutely love my Snappy 1/4" cordless. Changed my LIFE. It was kinda my gateway drug into cordless tools, 'cause now I have cordless everything :lol:

Downside is the cost. Batteries aren't cheap, either. :(

The good news is that the anvil is field replaceable, available from the Snap-On guy. Ask me how I know ;) Battery life is incredible, best out of all my cordless tools. Done many cylinder heads and timing belts on one charge.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
7 years 7 months ago #1681 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic Cordless ratchet suggestions
Man, I must be slacking... I haven't even seen the video yet.
One of my guys uses (well owns) a Snap-On 3/8th's cordless. I don't love it enough to jump into another Snap-On bill though. I'm finally payed in full.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
7 years 7 months ago #1694 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Cordless ratchet suggestions

Noah wrote: I don't love it enough to jump into another Snap-On bill though. I'm finally payed in full.

Jealous! Can't imagine what that's like...

• Noah
More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #2036 by Noah
I can't believe they wouldn't let Paul's son in the junkyard! I let kids break windows and drive cars...

As far as cordless tools, I have the Snap-On 18v 1/2" drive impact gun. The older NiCad version. I've been beating her senseless for 5+ years in dirt, rain and snow. I've had to buy one replacement battery in that time. VERY pleased with my investment in that tool, makes me money on the side jobs I have to do in driveways and saves lots of effort when I have to pull parts in the yard. Cranks up a screw jack likes nobody's business as well! Got it brand new for around $600 (thats with 2 batteries and the charger), the replacement batteries are $125. It's hard to swallow that cost until you use it every day and watch the cheaper ones everyone else has take a dirt nap. I also have the cordless 1/2" drill and cordless reciprocating saw that run off the same 18v Nicad batteries. The saw eats batteries, but I always have one on charge, and they charge up in less than half an hour.

As far as a cordless ratchet, I would buy one of those Milwaukee impact drivers with the quick change end before investing in a ratchet. Then you could use 1/4" or 3/8" tools with the little bit's from Home Cheapo for a couple bucks. I bought one from a guy who "needed the money" for $20 and it was an ANIMAL! I gave it to my neighbour who is a contractor after his walked away from a job site.

Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Noah. Reason: clarification

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #2037 by Tyler

Then you could use 1/4" or 3/8" tools with the little bit's from Home Cheapo for a couple bucks.

Hah! I support this idea, too.

As far as cordless tools, I have the Snap-On 18v 1/2" drive impact gun.

YES. This was another game changer for me. Not having an air hose chase me around all day is worth every penny.

It is heavy, though... I sometimes worry about long-lasting muscle imbalance after a long day with the impact in my right hand :lol:
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Tyler. Reason: YOU'RE NOT MY EDITING SUPERVISOR

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #2041 by matt.white
I didn't know there was such a thing as paid out. I thought it was perpetual.
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by matt.white.

More
7 years 7 months ago #2044 by Tyler

matt.white wrote: I didn't know there was such a thing as paid out. I thought it was perpetual.

Right? Pretty sure I've been deep into the Snappy guy since the first day on the job :blush:

More
7 years 7 months ago #2047 by matt.white
I had a ni-cad 18v gun. Sold it to a coworker as I just didn't have the confidence in it like I do air. Not sure why. I have almost all the SO micro lithium gear. The buffer is a bit useless for me but the rest of the gear is amazing.

• Noah
More
7 years 7 months ago #2064 by Noah
Just had to open my mouth...
Gave up yesterday, sent her out for a refresher.

More
7 years 7 months ago #2068 by Tyler

matt.white wrote: I had a ni-cad 18v gun. Sold it to a coworker as I just didn't have the confidence in it like I do air. Not sure why. I have almost all the SO micro lithium gear. The buffer is a bit useless for me but the rest of the gear is amazing.

Yeah, the cordless impact can't really replace the air guns yet :( I still have to keep my 1/2" impact around for the occasional stubborn crank bolt or cross-welded lug nut.

I've got tons of the 14.4V stuff, too. Love the ratchet and the screw gun, hate the drill. Sucks batteries dry, chuck is weak, and tends to overheat.

Or maybe I'm just a jerk to my tools :evil:

More
7 years 7 months ago #2071 by Tyler

Noah wrote: Just had to open my mouth...
Gave up yesterday, sent her out for a refresher.

Lame! Don't suppose the Snappy guy provided you a loaner?

Hey, perfect opportunity/excuse to buy two of these . Rip cars apart with one in each hand!

More
7 years 7 months ago #2086 by matt.white
Man that sux. It's like losing a limb losing a favourite tool.

• Noah
More
7 years 7 months ago #2092 by Noah
Lmao @ Tyler!

Yeah, I got a loaner for the time being. That IR looks like a beast, 1100ft lbs?! They must be doing a lot with that extra 2 volts

• Noah
More
7 years 7 months ago #2093 by Noah

matt.white wrote: Man that sux. It's like losing a limb losing a favourite tool.

They live, they die, they live again.
Snappy will deliver her back from the gates of Valhalla, shiney and chrome!

More
7 years 7 months ago #2143 by ScannerDanner
I went the Snap-on route. I get a pretty big discount through my school. I bought both the 1/4" and 3/8" ratchets. Paid $218 for one ratchet, two batteries and a charger, then paid another $128 for the other ratchet.
Not sure what list is. How did I do?
I filmed an unboxing of it. Not sure when I'll post it.

Don't be a parts changer!

More
7 years 7 months ago #2149 by Tyler

ScannerDanner wrote: I went the Snap-on route. I get a pretty big discount through my school. I bought both the 1/4" and 3/8" ratchets. Paid $218 for one ratchet, two batteries and a charger, then paid another $128 for the other ratchet.

Sweet! I think you'll be happy, especially for the price. I wish I would have taken advantage of my student discount more when I was in school :(

They live, they die, they live again.
Snappy will deliver her back from the gates of Valhalla, shiney and chrome!

Ahahahahahaha, YES. Flawless reference.

Yeah, I got a loaner for the time being. That IR looks like a beast, 1100ft lbs?! They must be doing a lot with that extra 2 volts

Right? I've heard from other guys that they tend to run hot as a result, and a couple had to send them in after a few months of shop use :unsure: Probably overpaying for my Snap-On one, but it's been awesome to me the whole time, so *shrug*

• Noah
More
7 years 7 months ago #2171 by Noah

ScannerDanner wrote: I went the Snap-on route. I get a pretty big discount through my school. I bought both the 1/4" and 3/8" ratchets. Paid $218 for one ratchet, two batteries and a charger, then paid another $128 for the other ratchet.

Sounds like a good deal! There's quite an assortment of other tools and accessories that run off those same batteries now that you've made the initial investment. Be sure to check back in and let us know how they work out for you.

More
7 years 7 months ago #2184 by matt.white
All those micro kits are around $660 each over here. Don't be disappointed. It's about 70 US cents to our dollar ATM.

You guys find much need for 1/4 as well as 3/8? I only use 3/8 but use that down to 8mm.

• Noah
More
7 years 7 months ago #2187 by Noah
I use a lot of 1/4", but not power tools. I run into a lot of 7mm and 5.5mm (thanks Ford :angry: ) fasteners. I got tired of loosing $100 snap on ratchets in the junk yard though and now use the $18 harbor freight Pittsburgh Pro knock offs. They're better than any craftsman I've ever had, and at that price point I can chuck them at cars on the freeway if I wanted to.

I used to have a 1/2" drive 8mm impact socket, which was kind of over kill, but nice if you're pulling a Crown Vic engine and don't want to swap out air tools to yank the hood. Snap-On refuses to order me a new one lol, he's always picking on me for having to warranty my 1/2" impact 10mm!

More
7 years 7 months ago #2191 by matt.white
Haha, what happened to the customer always being right? My driver sometimes gets a bit narks about our requests. Best mates when he makes 4 figure sales though.

Have no experience with HF over here but genuinely laughed at the throwing at cars comment. I may have been guilty of having tools leave my hands quickly at different times over the years. Haha

Time to create page: 0.251 seconds