Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

96 ford e350 with a 460 no start

More
2 years 2 months ago #55003 by 70monte
You definitely need a new computer but you do have to worry about what caused the internal damage before hooking it up. You need to figure out what voltages you expect to see on the different circuits going into the computer to see if any are too high or if any are shorted. A lot of your symptoms could be caused by the bad computer and may be why you are seeing voltage at the coil when you shouldn't be due to a short in the computer where the damage is.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 2 months ago #55009 by David117
Thanks for your response. I don’t have the information I need to test all of the circuits I finally found a wiring diagram that matches my vehicle. I’ll do some more research. Something I want to add that I forgot to mention is there are 2 hoses that come up from the smog pump to the front behind the headlight. What ever the hoses connect to is gone? How is this going to effect the performance? Should I try and put it back like it should be or can I just do away with it?

More
2 years 2 months ago #55010 by 70monte
Most people do away with the smog equipment on an older vehicle like that with no negative results. I would just do away with it.

More
2 years 2 months ago #55011 by 70monte
There is a YT video that shows how to delete the smog equipment on a 96 F350 with the 460 titled "How to smog delete OBS Ford 460". It wouldn't let me put the link here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: David117

More
2 years 1 month ago #55183 by David117
I ordered a new computer. It will come programed for my vehicle. Cost is 375.00. I sure would hate to fry it when I install the new computer!! I have tested each pin and each one has the correct voltage according to the info I have from Mitchell’s. What else do I need to test? Also I want to mention the relay that was clicking all the time under the dash was my electronic flasher. There was a short in the hazard switch so I replaced the multi switch and that problem is solved. Now I’m trying to get my fuel system ready. I tested the fuel pressure at the rail and only have 18 lbs of pressure. I’ll change the filter and test again. Also the gas has a green color but it doesn’t smell like bad gas smells. I’ll drain the tank too. Sorry for the long post. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

More
2 years 1 month ago #55252 by David117
Thanks for the help

More
2 years 1 month ago #55305 by David117
After the first computer fell through I found another one at a salvage yard. I installed it yesterday and the Rv started and is running pretty good. I’ve only got 20 lbs of pressure on the fuel rail though. I’ve changed the fuel filter and I have fresh gas in it. I guess I need to check the pressure regulator. Not sure how to do that?

More
2 years 1 month ago #55322 by David117
I don’t understand why no one is responding. I m out!!

Time to create page: 0.211 seconds