Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Toyota rav4 2008... Got me stumped!!!!

More
7 years 1 month ago #7516 by Kirby
Cheked the way cluster recieves fuel level input: From ProDemand: Cluster receives fuel level directly from sender( Direct Line) I assume the cluster cpu varies the needle based on internal algorythme.... But one thing for shure it does not pass through the can line.... Speed input is not an issue on this case because Odometer works, trip meter also.... Here is a picture of a resumé of pins, as well as a temporary fix i thought of based on power distribution in the cluster.... Tell me what you think.... Thanks again!!!! Sorry for the angle of the picture! ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #7517 by Kirby

Attachement....
Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by Kirby. Reason: Picture missing

More
7 years 1 month ago #7519 by borntoroll
Should work. I wonder what is the cause 2 instrument clusters misbehave.

More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #7520 by borntoroll
I would also add a diode to minimize potential problems with flyback voltage.
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by borntoroll.

More
7 years 1 month ago #7642 by Kirby
Changed cluster again today... Redid all the tests... Asked the custommer to keep me personnally posted on the outcome.... Suggested her the by-pass fix if all else fails... Hope this time is the good one!!!! Thanks guys!

More
7 years 1 month ago #7643 by GeekDIYMechanic
After installing new cluster, were you able to test it? Did it update when it left your shop?

More
7 years 1 month ago #7644 by Kirby
She dident want to take chances so she was filling up the tank every two days.... The tank was full, She just stoped by a gas station before coming to the shop.... Took readings of the fuel level float at cluster... Cluster unplugged of course! Readings were spot on with a full tank! plugged in the ''New'' cluster and reads full... Gave her my personal phone number on buisness card and told here to call if anything was wrong or fine!!! ;)

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
7 years 1 month ago #7725 by Noah
Man, what a job!
I was thinking along the lines as Tyler, although the diagram shows that the sender connects direct to the gauge, there must be some kind of built in slosh regulator to keep the needle from swaying around while driving. I couldn't find any info about that though....

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
7 years 1 month ago #7743 by Tyler

Kirby wrote: Changed cluster again today... Redid all the tests... Asked the custommer to keep me personnally posted on the outcome.... Suggested her the by-pass fix if all else fails... Hope this time is the good one!!!! Thanks guys!

Got my fingers crossed for this one! :lol:

I don't see that you missed anything, for the record. Couldn't find anything relevent in Mitchell. Identifix and iATN had nothing.

Just curious, where'd you get the replacement cluster from?

More
7 years 1 month ago #7749 by Kirby
Sorry to say i got it from a recycling facility...AKA junk yard! A brand new cluster is 950$ .... With 240 000 km on the toyota i cant blame the customer paying 150$ for a used one.... And i forked part of the diagnostic cause i was frustrated about all this.... Still thinking about it! hope to have news soon!!!

More
7 years 1 month ago #7750 by Kirby

Noah wrote: Man, what a job!
I was thinking along the lines as Tyler, although the diagram shows that the sender connects direct to the gauge, there must be some kind of built in slosh regulator to keep the needle from swaying around while driving. I couldn't find any info about that though....

The slosh regulator as you call it is built in the cluster ecu.... Like i said in one of my posts, ecu probably has an algorythm that takes a sample of the resistance of the gage every now and then.... and inputs it to the needle.... Same strategy as all cars today.... Granted voltage is more common....

Time to create page: 0.313 seconds