Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2005 ford 500 p0622

More
2 years 7 months ago #51520 by Cheryl
2005 ford 500 p0622 was created by Cheryl
Had new alternator installed no power on why/blk wire at alternator connector ran new wire from fuse 18 to alternator now have power. But still throwing the code. I guess next move is scope the control wires. Does anyone have scope captures of the 2 communication lines 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 7 months ago #51528 by CalitechT.J.
Replied by CalitechT.J. on topic 2005 ford 500 p0622
Hi Cheryl, I'm T.J. and I am the foreman at an independent shop that specializes in Ford/Lincoln/Mercury, so have dealt with a handful of these PCM controlled alternators. 9/10 times it needs an alternator, but this one might be that outlier. Just a few questions to help me catch up to where you're at so far. First, is the "new" alternator actually new or is it remanned? I've seen a reman be faulty fresh out of the box on these applications. Then, you said it was missing power on wht/blk wire from fuse 18 so a new wire was ran to power that circuit, has any diag been done on why there is no power from that fuse? While we're on the power feed subject, does the heavy B+ cable have 12 volts on it at the alternator stud KOEO? If yes, is there any voltage drop of that cable, tested from the battery positive post to the B+ stud on the alternator while running? Should have .2 of a volt drop or less. Same goes for the wht/blk wire between the regulator connector and the battery positive post. If those checks are good, then there is a quick and dirty test to see if the alternator can actually charge. Disconnect the connector and run the engine at 3,000 RPM while monitoring voltage at the battery. Should self excite to 13.5 volts, if so, then it is able to charge and the PCM control will have to be scoped. I have scope captures of those circuits, failed and working, but am unable to upload them here, sorry to say. The GEN MON and GEN COM circuits should show similar duty cycle square waves on the scope, and should increase in duty cycle as loads are increased. If you find a fault in either of those circuits, inspect for harness contacting the A/C lines on the rear of the passenger side of the engine bay, and also near the rear cylinder head lift hook. Ford has acknowledged there may be chafing in those areas, affecting the PCM circuits to/from the alternator. Very long winded, I know, but hopefully you find some of my advice useful! Good luck, and hope to hear back from you.
Travis T.J. Harrison
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tyler, juergen.scholl

More
2 years 7 months ago #51531 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic 2005 ford 500 p0622
Cheryl, I've got some known good captures in this thread:

www.scannerdanner.com/forum/diagnostic-t...ernator-testing.html

The quick and dirty way to verify the GENCOM and GENMON circuits is to disconnect the alternator and short the two together. Get your scan tool of choice set up to watch the GENMON and GENFDC PIDs and start it. They should directly mirror each other. Check out the thread above for more details.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

More
2 years 7 months ago - 2 years 7 months ago #51552 by Cheryl
Replied by Cheryl on topic 2005 ford 500 p0622
I have power on the large battery stud. .220 mv drop. Same for the wh/blk wire. Unplugged alternator revved it up to 3000 rpm went to 13.5. I’ll try what Tyler suggested 
Last edit: 2 years 7 months ago by Cheryl.

More
2 years 7 months ago #51553 by Tyler
Awesome, let us know how it goes. B)

More
2 years 7 months ago #51565 by Cheryl
Tj do you know what the gen mom and gen com voltages should be connector unplugged at alternator? I have no signal on gen mon. Or gen com does the pcm send out a bias voltage for alternator to pull down on the com wire??

More
2 years 7 months ago #51567 by Tyler
GENMON has a 10ish volt bias coming from the PCM, which the alternator pulls to ground.

There is no real bias on GENCOM that I remember. :unsure: 

More
2 years 7 months ago - 2 years 7 months ago #51570 by Cheryl
So check for 10ish volts coming from pcm at connector? I’ll cut wire to eliminate a short to ground see what happens
Last edit: 2 years 7 months ago by Cheryl.

More
2 years 7 months ago #51590 by Cheryl
Well think I’m figuring something out. The battery sense wire and gen com wire are switched in the pigtail someone put on. So swapped them and no more battery light p0622 doesn’t come back.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

More
2 years 7 months ago #51626 by BetterBunny
Replied by BetterBunny on topic 2005 ford 500 p0622
Generator field circuit problem.
Does the charging system work ok? Your battery and battery connections ok?

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
2 years 7 months ago #51644 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic 2005 ford 500 p0622

Well think I’m figuring something out. The battery sense wire and gen com wire are switched in the pigtail someone put on. So swapped them and no more battery light p0622 doesn’t come back.
Nice find! So fixed?

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
2 years 7 months ago #51645 by Cheryl
It’s been gone for a week so I’m going to assume it’s fixed

Time to create page: 0.255 seconds