Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2006 DODGE RAM 3500 Auto 4WD 5.9 DIESEL - NEED HELP diagnosing CAN bus

More
2 years 9 months ago #50629 by REM
what is the best low cost scanner to trouble shoot a can bus issue ? I have a COMMS problem with my OBD2 port ? The speedo cluster passes the sweep test, but the CAN BUS related guage display ( tach, miles per hour, oil pressure, coolant temp) do not display on cluster. So, appears to be a wiring issue - would like to check for the presence of any CAN bus data - or look at the bus for noise-my OBDLINK MX+ will not read the port and cannot connect - 

Any thoughts about a break out cable ON the CAN bus source - the ECU - or better , just shoot out the wiring ? ANy ideas appreciated - thanks 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 9 months ago #50631 by juergen.scholl
REM,

A scanner is not the right tool to diagnose can-bus problems. A solid understandiing of circuit design and working principles and a DVOM will take you a long way. At one point an osciloscope will be helpful to detect specific failure patterns.

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.

More
2 years 9 months ago #50633 by REM
after thinking about this - going to chase out the wiring -is there any scanners on the market to look at the waveform or the presence or not of a can bus signal ? thanks

More
2 years 9 months ago #50634 by Matt T
Have you tried manually entering the VIN in the MX+ then installing Enhanced Diagnostics? IME the MX+ will stop if it can't find an ECM when you try to connect automatically. But it will communicate with other modules if you set the vehicle up manually.

If you can't get any direction with a scan the TIPM acts as the gateway for the three CAN networks so that'd be where I'd start testing.
Attachments:

More
2 years 9 months ago #50635 by REM
thanks for the ideas - this vehicle not available in the pull down list - Ive asked for support from OBD2 link for manual install of VIN and also whether compliant with the dodge can bus enabled OBD2 port. . I put a new TIPM in this - reason, there are drying up fast on national backorder - there are now a handfull in the country left. But, as usual did not fix prob - digging into wiring today via all data .

More
2 years 9 months ago #50636 by Matt T
If you select "Ram 1500" it brings up the 5.9 as an option   Maybe try that?

BTW I attached the factory network diagrams to my last post.
The following user(s) said Thank You: REM

More
2 years 9 months ago #50637 by REM
skipped over that - yes - Ill try that - thank you very much for the tip - one other thing - alphaobd is also a good app for chrysler - but havent tried it - tha

More
2 years 9 months ago #50673 by REM
Put my DSO China Scope on it - looked at the CAN BUS wave forms - both CAN +/_ buses from ECM were dead - disconnected client modules on the bus and probed the two can bus pins in the bus between the ECM and TIPM connectors ( ie end to end) for continuity and each bus pin for continuity to ground. Turns out they were shorted to ground. Then I started opening connectors and tried to isolate the short. Turned out that the opening ABS module connector caused the short to alleviate. ( recall there was no comms at OBD2 diagnostic connector). SO going to probe the ABS splice off the main ECM to TIPM bus. Not sure if it is an internal short in the ABS module or it is the ABS branch. all normal functions returned except the ABS. Thanks for the response from those of you who offered some Ideas. Regards Rick

More
2 years 9 months ago #50674 by REM
this was huge - thanks !!!!

BTW - have you used alphaobd ? - thanks

More
2 years 3 months ago #54351 by REM

Time to create page: 0.246 seconds