Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

1996 Ford F 150 4.9 L6

More
7 years 1 month ago #7763 by ScannerDanner

toadyboy1957 wrote: so is there anything else i need to check and does it sound like ive checked and tested everything like i should have or is there some other technique for testing what i have and thanks tyler and ben for your helpfullness

Stop focusing on the three solenoids and O2 heaters. As I stated before these are switched ground circuits and by design do not have constant grounds. Not to mention these have NOTHING to do with why your fuel pump relay is not being grounded. Stay focused on the fuel pump relay driver brother.
You have a fuel pump relay that is not grounding and the truck runs when you ground that circuit. You've already identified good circuit wiring integrity. You already know your PIP signal is good (truck would NOT run without it) and this is the only input the computer needs to run that pump! The only other input is an ignition feed (wake-up) signal.
You've confirmed powers and grounds to the computer board. (including the ignition feeds)
Two variables left.
1. you didn't perform some of the tests correctly
2. you have a pin contact issue at the ECM

There is no one test you can do that says "bad computer". You will always have a feeling of "what did I miss".
You have enough information in this thread. Next step? Re-check everything and pull the trigger. If it still doesn't start with the new ECM, you missed something in one of your testing methods.

Don't be a parts changer!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 1 month ago #7779 by toadyboy1957
Replied by toadyboy1957 on topic 1996 Ford F 150 4.9 L6
which tests did i perform incorrectly and how would you perform these tests ??

More
7 years 1 month ago #7781 by ScannerDanner

toadyboy1957 wrote: which tests did i perform incorrectly and how would you perform these tests ??

I don't know. I wasn't there. I'm just saying that is always a factor. Did your meter have a good ground, was your backprobing tool making contact. Did you test the right wire etc etc etc

More
7 years 1 month ago #7804 by toadyboy1957
i backprobed all wires with a t pin and i used jumper wires to the meter and to the 12 VOLT test light and if i was checking grounds i had it hooked to b+ and checking powers always B- i tested every wire on the PCM and every fuse and relay on the truck I DID THE BEST JOB I KNEW TO DO

More
7 years 1 month ago #7815 by ScannerDanner

toadyboy1957 wrote: i backprobed all wires with a t pin and i used jumper wires to the meter and to the 12 VOLT test light and if i was checking grounds i had it hooked to b+ aknd checking powers always B- i tested every wire on the PCM and every fuse and relay on the truck I DID THE BEST JOB I KNEW TO DO

You did great man. No need to shout at me. You asked "what else" and I answered the only variables I could think of.

More
7 years 1 month ago #7822 by toadyboy1957
Im sorry / I was not shouting at you Paul but i want to give you and everyone here for all your Help Assistance Diagrams and Direction May God Bless You Your school in every way

More
7 years 1 month ago #7844 by toadyboy1957
one last question ???? Are you all saying because the relay was bad it took out the FUEL PUMP DRIVER AT THE PCM and somehow the GROUNDS are in some way tied to the PCM ground output ? Is this how it works????

More
7 years 1 month ago #7846 by Ben
Replied by Ben on topic Re:1996 Ford F 150 4.9 L6
Yes because the relay was pulling 2 amps it could have taken out the fuel pump driver . And I don't think you have a problem with any of your sensor grounds they are controlled by the pcm there won't be ground at them till the pcm wants to turn them on. They do have power from the distribution box when key is on but not ground.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
The following user(s) said Thank You: toadyboy1957

Time to create page: 0.504 seconds