Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

1994 Buick LeSabre Runs and then dies P0341 jumped time?

More
2 years 11 months ago #48832 by AJeep18
Working on a 1994 Buick LeSabre. When it is cold it will run for probably 15 seconds and then die. When it is hot probably only two seconds. I pulled a coil wire and it appeared to have spark all the way until it died, but using a test light it seemed to be disabling the injectors ( the light stoped flashing a second or so before the car died. Showing a P0341. I read something about a magnet that can fall off? If you try to start it again without fully cycling the key it will just crank and not start but if you cycle it all the way to off and back on again it will run for a second again.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 11 months ago #48932 by AJeep18

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #48937 by Noah
What are you missing when you try to start it without rolling the key to off?

File Attachment:

File Name: PrinterFri...View.PDF
File Size:47 KB

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"
Last edit: 2 years 11 months ago by Noah.

More
2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #49247 by AJeep18
Sorry been a little busy so I took me a while to get back to this one. I followed the troubleshooting tree that Noah gave me, all the way to the bottom and everything checked out ok. So, I decided to check the timing. I have put what I think is a known good, the cam/crank from this car, and the relative compression with a secondary ignition sync. Everyone else agree timing is off? It seemed to crank over pretty fast compared to what I would expect too, low compression?  
Last edit: 2 years 11 months ago by AJeep18. Reason: added pictures

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
2 years 11 months ago #49259 by Noah
I don't think the cam sensor signal is generated by the camshaft on this engine. I'm pretty sure the CKP and CMP signals are generated by the harmonic balancer. So if the signal is indeed out of synch, it would most likely be from a damaged balancer in my opinion.
I don't think I've ever seen one of those old pushrod 3.8l engines actually skip timing.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
2 years 11 months ago #49260 by AJeep18
Yeah I hadn’t ever heard of one with a timing issue either... it does have a separate cam sensor up by the waterpump though, separate from the 3x and 18x crank sensor. I will scope the two crank sensor signals together and see what that looks like.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

Time to create page: 0.232 seconds