Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

No crank

More
7 years 8 months ago #583 by mark.rumball
No crank was created by mark.rumball
I have a peugeot 207 2007 1.4hdi s diesel. When I turn the key to the run position there is a constant clicking from a relay in the under hood fusebox. The starter is getting voltage from the wire that runs from the battery but the smaller wire that comes from the ignition switch only gets voltage when disconnected from the solenoid when connected it gets 0v if anyone could help that would be great

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago #586 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic No crank
Yo Mark, welcome to the forums!

It sounds like there's some kind of voltage drop across the solenoid wire circuit (the wire from the ignition switch that should have 12V during cranking). That would explain why it has 0V when connected, but has some kind of voltage when disconnected.

Not trying to insult you, but what's the battery condition? The clicking relays in the underhood fuse box makes me think low battery voltage. Just don't want to send you down the wrong path over a weak battery, ya know?

I'm hoping one of the European members might have access to a wiring diagram for us, since none of my service info sources has anything on Peugeot :(

If you can, try to find out which relay is chattering under the hood. If the owners manual or the fuse box lid shows a specific starter relay, then let us know and we can do some checks with a test light. If you want to be confident that you're dealing with a control problem (and not a starter problem), then you can try jumping 12V to the solenoid post on the starter, and see if you can get the engine to crank. One of the newest ScannerDanner videos covers this well, worth watching.

More
7 years 8 months ago #595 by mark.rumball
Replied by mark.rumball on topic No crank
Thank you! Sorry I should have put more detail into the post :( the battery is only a few months old and shows round about 12.7v, lights are bright and all dash lights etc come on.

The thing with peugeot underhood fusebox is you can't access the relays, they are molded onto the fusebox if that makes any sense. But when I remove a fuse which controls 'engine control unit and fan assembly control relay' the clicking stops so I am assuming it is that one. Again I should have said in the first post but I have disconnected the small wire and connected another one and ran it to the + terminal, touched it on and the engine started cranking so assumed that the starter was fine. Sorry again about the lack of information :(

More
7 years 8 months ago #597 by ScannerDanner
Replied by ScannerDanner on topic No crank

mark.rumball wrote: Thank you! Sorry I should have put more detail into the post :( the battery is only a few months old and shows round about 12.7v, lights are bright and all dash lights etc come on.

The thing with peugeot underhood fusebox is you can't access the relays, they are molded onto the fusebox if that makes any sense. But when I remove a fuse which controls 'engine control unit and fan assembly control relay' the clicking stops so I am assuming it is that one. Again I should have said in the first post but I have disconnected the small wire and connected another one and ran it to the + terminal, touched it on and the engine started cranking so assumed that the starter was fine. Sorry again about the lack of information :(

You doing just fine man. Unfortunately I have no access to diagrams for your car but I'm sure someone here does.
May I ask, when you jumped the starter solenoid and cranked the engine, did it start? Did you have the key in the run position when you did it?
I agree with Tyler, there is definitely a voltage drop issue on that circuit but the clicking relay has me concerned that there are multiple circuits being affected by this issue.
Ignition switch, main powers coming into the ignition switch etc could be the issue.
I would definitely like to see where that relay gets its power from.
We need a diagram guys! Someone help :-)

Don't be a parts changer!

More
7 years 8 months ago #602 by mark.rumball
Hopefully someone has one, I couldn't find one anywhere and was about to buy a haynes manual. I did have the key in the run position but when I done this the immobiliser kicked in addition stopped it from firing up :( I have tried testing the ignition switch and seemed fine to me, I tested the 3 wires which run to the switch and the one wire had a constant 12+v, the other had 12+v when key was switched to run and finally the third wire got 12+v when key was turned again to start if that helps you narrow it done a bit more :) another thing if it helps, when the car died and I checked the fuses the 'starter control' fuse had blown

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #603 by ImBack218
Replied by ImBack218 on topic No crank
Hey

I have found 2 diagrams on Google. The second diagram I've linked is the Peugeot 206 model and the other diagram states that it applies to all models. There does not appear to be a relay involved with the starter motor - the ignition switch is directly energizing the starter solenoid, with a 50A fuse in the underhood fuse box powering this ignition switch Start circuit. There is a yellow wire coming out of the ignition switch before turning into a white wire at the starter solenoid post.

Hope this helps

www.autoelectric.ru/auto/peugeot/wd/wiringdiagrams.htm#6
elektrotanya.com/files/forum/2015/11/3757-peugeot-206.pdf
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by ImBack218.

More
7 years 8 months ago #606 by ScannerDanner

ImBack218 wrote: Hey

I have found 2 diagrams on Google. The second diagram I've linked is the Peugeot 206 model and the other diagram states that it applies to all models. There does not appear to be a relay involved with the starter motor - the ignition switch is directly energizing the starter solenoid, with a 50A fuse in the underhood fuse box powering this ignition switch Start circuit. There is a yellow wire coming out of the ignition switch before turning into a white wire at the starter solenoid post.

Hope this helps

www.autoelectric.ru/auto/peugeot/wd/wiringdiagrams.htm#6
elektrotanya.com/files/forum/2015/11/3757-peugeot-206.pdf

Thanks so much! Unfortunately this diagram contradicts the OPs statement about a "starter control" fuse. There is not a control fuse in this circuit, just a main fuse.
Also I would think there would be some type of park/neutral switch or clutch pedal switch involved here.
On a separate note, that diagram sucks! I am spoiled with my Mitchell diagrams :-)

More
7 years 8 months ago #607 by ScannerDanner

mark.rumball wrote: Hopefully someone has one, I couldn't find one anywhere and was about to buy a haynes manual. I did have the key in the run position but when I done this the immobiliser kicked in addition stopped it from firing up :( I have tried testing the ignition switch and seemed fine to me, I tested the 3 wires which run to the switch and the one wire had a constant 12+v, the other had 12+v when key was switched to run and finally the third wire got 12+v when key was turned again to start if that helps you narrow it done a bit more :) another thing if it helps, when the car died and I checked the fuses the 'starter control' fuse had blown

That makes sense I guess, depending on the design of the immobilizer. So you think the immobilizer is what was preventing the start up then? If so that helps with direction. Still trying to think about cause and effect here.
The fact that this problem started when the "starter control" fuse blew definitely give us direction. How many amp fuse was it? And where was it located?
When you tested your ignition switch wires, did you have everything plugged in? That is the way it needed to be done. (no current flow = no voltage drop)

More
7 years 8 months ago #608 by mark.rumball
I'm pretty sure it is the imobillizer that is stopping it from starting when I jump the starter as an anti-theft message comes up, I'm guessing this cuts of the fule and the engine just keeps cranking without firing up. It was a 25A fuse which blew and it was in the underhood fusebox, all the rest were fine. Yes I had everything plugged in how it should be and it was passing through 12+v

More
7 years 8 months ago #620 by GeorG
Replied by GeorG on topic No crank

mark.rumball wrote: when the car died and I checked the fuses the 'starter control' fuse had blown

Did the car die while driving? if it did, you maybe dealing with voltage drop from a failed ignition switch or green crusties on the ignition feed wire/fuse (which would explain the clicking sound from the distribution box when the switch is in the run position).

More
7 years 8 months ago #622 by mark.rumball
Nah the car died just after I had come back home, turned the car off, then realised I should bring the car into the driveway, turn the key and nothing :(

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #624 by mark.rumball
I have just purchased a wiring diagram from haynes hopefully this will help
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by mark.rumball.

More
7 years 8 months ago #638 by Tyler
Awesome! We'll have a much easier time with a diagram available.

Any way you could take screenshots of the relevant diagrams and post them here?

More
7 years 8 months ago #641 by mark.rumball
So today I took the smaller wire off the solenoid and tested it, turn out that soon as I turn the ignition to the run position that wire is getting just under 12v but again when connected back on gets 0v I am not sure how this is happening as on the diagram if I remove fuse 8 and 13 it shouldn't get any power what's so ever but some how it is

More
7 years 8 months ago #645 by mark.rumball

Tyler wrote: Awesome! We'll have a much easier time with a diagram available.

Any way you could take screenshots of the relevant diagrams and post them here?

I am having trouble trying to upload the screenshot onto here as I am getting a message saying that the file size is too big, and if I put in the link it would require a log in, is there any other way I could get them to you?

More
7 years 8 months ago #650 by Tyler
Yeah, the forums use a 250kb max file size, for server load reasons. I'm sorry, I should have mentioned that.

I've used www.picresize.com before to get files down the right size for posting.

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #652 by mark.rumball

Tyler wrote: Yeah, the forums use a 250kb max file size, for server load reasons. I'm sorry, I should have mentioned that.

I've used www.picresize.com before to get files down the right size for posting.

Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Tyler.

More
7 years 8 months ago #655 by Tyler
Sigh, still not working :unsure: I don't think you're doing anything wrong, Mark. Maybe just e-mail me the pictures, and I'll see what I can do? wrenchturnyou@gmail.com

More
7 years 8 months ago #657 by mark.rumball

Tyler wrote: Sigh, still not working :unsure: I don't think you're doing anything wrong, Mark. Maybe just e-mail me the pictures, and I'll see what I can do? wrenchturnyou@gmail.com

My phone is playing up aswell maybe that sorry :( I have just emailed them to you. Thank you for the help!

More
7 years 8 months ago #659 by Tyler
Don't thank me too soon, I realized I gave you the wrong address :oops: Try wrenchturnsyou@gmail.com. Man I suck at this tonight!

Time to create page: 0.361 seconds