Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

14 grand caravan 3.6l no-start after engine replaced

More
3 years 7 months ago #43035 by ptebo1
We replaced an engine in a 2014 dodge grand caravan for an overheating concern. once replaced the van will start/stall. after a bunch of start/stalls it finally will start but throws a p0335 DTC. data display shows crank signal is present but showed crank sync false so i performed a cam/crank re-learn. vehicle started fine after that, crank sync was ok and no more p0335. Next day... Same thing. start/stall with p0335. I scoped the crank signal and looks like nothing is wrong with it. Engine is a brand new Long Block from the dealership parts department. =/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 7 months ago #43037 by Tyler
I'd be very interested to see what the CKP waveform looks like during your start/stall. Grab one of the CMP's for reference.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ptebo1

More
3 years 7 months ago #43061 by ptebo1
how could i maybe send you a vsm file? is the ckp signal only drops to 0.2 volts. is that enough to create an issue you think?

More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #43062 by ptebo1

<<< the issue is actually present in this waveform,, if you count five of the lower dips over from the right you will see the smaller gapped wave....
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by ptebo1. Reason: to identify bent tooth in waveform.

More
3 years 7 months ago #43065 by ScannerDanner
Tyler! Nice Avatar hahaha I just showed Caleb

Don't be a parts changer!

More
3 years 7 months ago #43066 by ScannerDanner
Can you repeat this? In other words if you do a relearn, does it run good again?

Don't be a parts changer!

More
3 years 7 months ago #43070 by ptebo1
I tried to do a cam/crank relearn again this morning and this time it had no effect.

More
3 years 7 months ago #43072 by Matt T

ptebo1 wrote: how could i maybe send you a vsm file? is the ckp signal only drops to 0.2 volts. is that enough to create an issue you think?

There looks to be a lot of variation in your CKP pulse and dwell lengths. Kinda like rpm is moving up and down a lot. Is the engine cranking normally?

To attach a *.vsm file first off close it out in shopstream. Then go to the folder where the file is stored. Right click the file and that should bring up a menu with a "Send To" option. Expand it and click "Compressed Folder".

That will create a filename.zip folder which contains a copy of your filename.vsm file.

You can then attach that filename.zip to a post the same way as you would a picture. Only add it as a file. You don't need to insert it into your message.

More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #43080 by ptebo1
nope... still messed up. re-programmed ecm with witech and ran a new ground cable. thought it was fixed... throwing p0339 now and only does it under load on freeway. i already shotgunned a ckp sensor at it... is this thing engine mechanical or does something look wrong with this ckp waveform. i dont like how its not going all the way to 0 volts on the signal wire. any ideas?
Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by ptebo1.

More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #43097 by ptebo1
so i sat down at my bench after hours today. studied the start stall waveform and noticed tooth 21 after the sync is shorter every single time. i pulled the ckp sensor, inspected tooth 21 and i seen a bent tooth on the flywheel. i took a pic the best i could. if you look close you can see the gap is smaller at the top of the 2 teeth... this thing came as a long block with no oil pan. i think the heavy line guy that installed the engine set it on the crank when he was getting it off the pallet. Made my life a living heck. Must be nice to install an engine and walk away from it when it doesent start...

<< you can actually see the issue in the waveform pic. if you count 5 dips over from the left you will see the smaller gapped wave...>>
Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by ptebo1. Reason: upload correct photo

More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #43098 by juergen.scholl
You did not upload the foto of the bent tooth but the ckp signal again. Please up the foto, thank you.

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by juergen.scholl.

More
3 years 7 months ago #43116 by Tyler

ScannerDanner wrote: Tyler! Nice Avatar hahaha I just showed Caleb

Thanks to Caleb! I blatantly stole that from his edit.

I was wondering when you'd notice. :silly:

www.scannerdanner.com/forum/lab-scope-di...-cylinder.html#41705

More
3 years 7 months ago #43117 by Tyler

ptebo1 wrote: you can actually see the issue in the waveform pic. if you count 5 dips over from the left you will see the smaller gapped wave...>>

I see it. B) Well done, sir.

So, when I replied earlier, I had a look at service info about where the crankshaft reluctor lived. Mitchell said the reluctor was integral to the crankshaft, but you're looking at the flexplate, right?

Must be nice to install an engine and walk away from it when it doesent start...

I've been doing it wrong the whole time. :lol: Instead of fixing problems, I should be installing them!

More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #43126 by ptebo1
Sorry the picture is so bad. Im replacing the engine in it tomorrow so once its off ill take a way better pic with the oil pan off since i have to swap them. It is actually the crankshaft, the teeth are part of the casting, which is literally thee reason i didnt inspect it earlier in the game. Wish it woulda broken it off instead of just bending it, I probably woulda seen that in the 1st scope shot i got of it.
Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by ptebo1. Reason: upload photo of bent tone ring on crankshaft

More
3 years 7 months ago #43129 by Tyler

ptebo1 wrote: It is actually the crankshaft, the teeth are part of the casting, which is literally thee reason i didnt inspect it earlier in the game. Wish it woulda broken it off instead of just bending it, I probably woulda seen that in the 1st scope shot i got of it.

Heavy line guy has some explaining to do, IMO. :angry:

I suppose you could try just bending the tooth back? :silly: I'd try it if it were my Caravan, but it isn't.

More
3 years 7 months ago #43135 by ptebo1
Ya i thought about taking the upper oil pan off and trying to bend it. But the shop foreman is getting chrysler to warranty the long block and is letting me do the 2nd engine swap to pad the diag time that i have into it since im only getting approved for 2 hours straight time. Still sucks the heavy line guy gets to flag customer pay and i only get warranty pay on the engine.. The heavy line guy did have a lot of diag. Time invested too before it got sent to me. He took the timing cover intake and valve covers off to verify timing before i got it.I also think its his fault the tooth is bent but could have happened in shipping so chrysler is gonna eat it.

Time to create page: 0.287 seconds