Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Ground at the fuse box located in the engine compartment.

More
4 years 1 month ago #39405 by angelcoamo44
1996 Mitsubishi montero 3.0L 12 valves.......I qot a question....Does the fuse box has to be grounded or joint together with the cable that goes to the negative side of the battery..??.....Does anyone have a diagram or layout of this particular fuse box...??......

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 1 month ago #39406 by jreardon
Your test light can find a ground through an unpowered fuse if that's what you mean. If you're using an led test light that's high resistance and consumes only like 7 miliamps, it may light up by finding a ground through the computer.

File Attachment:

File Name: fusebox.pdf
File Size:171 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: electrical...ents.pdf
File Size:411 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: powerdistribution.pdf
File Size:372 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: grounddist...tion.pdf
File Size:159 KB
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: angelcoamo44

More
4 years 1 month ago #39407 by angelcoamo44
Thank you so much for the information.....I appreciated it.....I have a question....In the engine compartment, there is a frame that houses the relays and the fuses....Does this metal frame has to be attached together with the cable that goes to the negative side of the battery..??....I ask because i disconnect this cable from the vehicle chassis because i can not reach the battery pole to connect it.....I do not know if i explain myself very clear.....

More
4 years 1 month ago #39408 by jreardon
If the metal frame has cables bolted to it then it's a ground point. Can you take a photo?

More
4 years 1 month ago #39410 by angelcoamo44
The metal frame (housing all the relays and fuses in the engine compartment) was bolted to the vehicle chassis along with the battery negative cable.....I unbolted it because i could not reach the battery pole.....I can not remember if after i did this action the vehicle failed to start (no spark).....Right now there are two relays that are not working and two fuses (10 amps each) that have no current.....I will take a picture as soon as i can .....and i will look for a battery that has the poles in the opposite side so i can reach it with the cable...

More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #39448 by Andy.MacFadyen
Relay can be ground side or power side controlled, and also they can switch the load circuit on the power side or on the ground side.

Generally I would think a relay mounted on a fuse box is much more likely to switch the power side of a circuit but relay coil itself controlled by a pull down.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by Andy.MacFadyen.

Time to create page: 0.215 seconds