Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Nissan Xterra 2004 SC Stalls - Fuel pump current

More
4 years 4 months ago #36411 by XterraVJ
Hello All,

I have a 2004 Xterra. I did a current test on the Fuel pump and read 3.5A and 6.5K RPM at idle.

Is this something in range or?

I've seen people comment that this is about 5A and 5.5K at idle.

Please suggest.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 4 months ago #36412 by Cheryl
When I scope fuel pumps I usually use 1 amp per 10 psi of fuel pressure. So I’d check power and ground at pump and call it. The amperage doesn’t seem low.

More
4 years 4 months ago #36415 by XterraVJ
The pump is in the fuel tank attached to another connector(again within the tank). This connector is fed by an external connector which is beneath the rear passenger seat. I can't do voltage drop tests until I get the pump out. The vehicle stalls intermittently so trying to see.

More
4 years 4 months ago #36417 by XterraVJ
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah, Andy.MacFadyen

More
4 years 4 months ago #36443 by Tyler
Before you go for the pump, are you sure that you're losing fuel pressure when the stall occurs?

With that engine, I'd be more suspicious of an ignition problem. Coils, caps, rotors and distributors are all suspect for various reasons.

More
4 years 4 months ago #36446 by XterraVJ
Thanks. No I am not.
As it's an intermittent issue, I can't say what goes bad - spark or fuel. Plus I have a P0181. The fuel sending unit houses the connector(in the tank) to the fuel pump plus also has the temp sensor(P0181) and fuel level sensor.(Pic added)

Chicken or egg problem here.
#1- If the pump is failing to deliver enough fuel and the engine stalls, the camshaft signal will not be produced and so the ECM will not activate the relay(+ there will be no spark) and the pump will stop. So here the Cam shaft signal goes Zero first(or the relay signal from ECM) and then the fuel pump current follows it to zero.

#2 - Other way is the pump current goes zero first(loose connection - simply disconnects) stalling the engine and then cam signal will go zero taking down .
spark(controlled by Cam signal).

How does one determine
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.211 seconds