Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2003 Lexus LS430 3UZ-FE crank no-start no-spark

More
4 years 6 months ago #34716 by JeepLife
Hi everyone, I have a crank no-start no spark condition on a COP ignition system. I have verified engine RPM with scan data and I visually checked timing marks at the cams after removing the covers. That inspection may not have been necessary, but I was curious because the previous shop did put on a timing belt. After this I checked my ignition coils for power and ground, they all have both. I put a known good ignition coil on from another car and the known good coil gave me spark on all cylinder that I tested one by one. Could all of the ignition coils be bad? What other tests would you do? Also, when I went to pull the car into the shop it did start and ran with misfires. Once a load was put the engine from a small incline the engine stalled and has not started since. Thanks everyone!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 6 months ago #34722 by Chad

JeepLife wrote: I put a known good ignition coil on from another car and the known good coil gave me spark on all cylinder that I tested one by one. Could all of the ignition coils be bad?

If you consistently get spark with a know good coil, and consistently FAIL to get spark with all the others...I would say it is possible. :unsure:

What other tests would you do?

It looks like the Cam and Crank sensors are Variable Reluctance Sensors. This means that they put out an AC sinewave, and the air gaps between sensors an reluctors are very important. Sometimes, they are adjustable. I would check that. You have RPM signal, which means there is a signal there, but if the air gap is too wide, amplitude of the signal will be low.

File Attachment:

File Name: 2003lexusE...trol.pdf
File Size:1,076 KB

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)
Attachments:

More
4 years 6 months ago #34787 by JeepLife
Thanks fellas. I did check the crank sensor reluctor ring and sensor gap visually. it appeared to be ok, so I checked that off the list. Ended up finding very low compression on most cylinders. Once talking with the customer he did say it overheated and was giving him trouble, thats why the t-belt and radiator was replaced before I got it. Customer declined the engine replacement, but Im still wondering about the inconsistent spark.

Time to create page: 0.188 seconds