Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2005 F-150 low volumetric efficiency test

More
4 years 8 months ago #32233 by Cheryl
I’m working on a F-150 just had the engine replaced low power or atleast in my opinion. Intake air temp 112 mag g/s 178 rpm 5060. Using the otc calculator online I’m coming with 69-70%. Checked exhaust back pressure it was okay. Front o2 sensors go lean under wot. Checked and cleaned maf also replaced. Checked for intake tube restriction. Also it has a pending code of p2006 intake runner stuck closed. I’m wondering if that could possibly count as an intake restriction?? The guy who put the engine has the wiring harness tangled on the rods so he’s going to re do his work. Hopefully that has an improvement on the test I did. Any recommendations??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago #32240 by Tyler
You're on the right track with the IMRC. The intake runners not operating properly will definitely cause low VE. Been there, seen it.

Also, give the ATG calculator a try. You're likely to get significantly different readings from OTC.

Unfortunately, the IMRC doesn't explain the low O2's at WOT. Even with the runners stuck, the O2's should still show rich. I think you've got two problems...

More
4 years 8 months ago #32242 by Cheryl
He got the intake off again the wiring harness was jammed in the rubber rods. Put it back on seems better than before. Where do I find the ATG calculator vs otc calculator?? I’ll compare the two of them

More
More
4 years 8 months ago #32244 by Cheryl
So how do I read this. It’s giving me 2 readings at the end a theoretical load and estimated be.

More
4 years 8 months ago #32245 by Cheryl

More
4 years 8 months ago #32246 by Tyler
EST_VE is the number you want.

What did you get for VE after the intake fix? I have an '06 to compare to if needed.

More
4 years 8 months ago #32249 by Cheryl
74% after the fix. Could you give me the 06 to compare to if you could

More
4 years 8 months ago #32250 by Tyler
Sorry, I lied, it was an '07. Not sure it'll matter. I posted about it here:

www.scannerdanner.com/forum/diagnostic-t....html?start=34#31239

More
4 years 8 months ago #32252 by Cheryl
Not sure if I missed it or not but what was the fix on yours??

More
4 years 8 months ago #32253 by Tyler
Reinstalling the intake so the runner actuation rods move freely. :silly: So you fixed the intake on yours, yet the VE is still low... Are the O2's still low at WOT, too?

More
4 years 8 months ago #32254 by Cheryl
Yep the guy who installed the engine got the runners to move again. But it’s still low on ve. I looked and it appears to be a dorman maf sensor on it... I’ve checked the air filter for cleanliness. It’s a brand new jasper engine. Desired and actual fuel rail pressure match. O2 sensors still go lean. Either the maf is junk or possibly an injector flow issue. But that wouldn’t explain low numbers on ve

More
4 years 8 months ago #32255 by Cheryl
I’m using the launch x431 scanner possibly the scanner isn’t updating quick enough and I’m missing peak numbers on the maf. I might try and borrow a snap on scanner since there graphing is a lot better. And retest.

More
4 years 8 months ago #32256 by Tyler

Cheryl wrote: Either the maf is junk or possibly an injector flow issue. But that wouldn’t explain low numbers on ve

It definitely could, especially being Dorman junk. :cheer: VE is mostly based on the peak MAF rate. So if the MAF is underreporting, you'll get a lean @ WOT and low VE numbers.

More
4 years 8 months ago #32257 by Cheryl
I’ve always used the general rule of engine displacement multiplied by 49 to get a w.o.t maf reading. What’s your rule of thumb

More
4 years 8 months ago #32258 by Cheryl
40 not 49

More
4 years 8 months ago #32259 by Tyler
Same, but I tend to rely on Load PIDs more and more these days. Dunno that your '05 would have Absolute Load? Might be fun to see what it says.

More
4 years 8 months ago #32305 by cheryl hartkorn
well weve got back on the ford after checking everything today the 2nd new maf sensor reads 140 grams/second at 5016 rpm. so maybe there is an intake restriction. tried driving with no snorkel/filter in it. same thing. checked exhaust back pressure again.

More
4 years 8 months ago #32307 by Tyler
Is that even worse than before? :silly: VE calculator says that's at 54%. No more IMRC faults?

If there's no intake restriction (which you've mostly eliminated), and there's no backpressure issue, then it almost has to be in the engine itself. Used, reman?

More
4 years 8 months ago #32310 by Cheryl
Remanufactured jasper engine. So sucks to be him. Variable valve timing error good. No variance

Time to create page: 0.254 seconds