Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2006 Ford cold RPM

More
5 years 1 month ago #27552 by Msober1
2006 Ford cold RPM was created by Msober1
Hello newbie here and love the videos and great learning tools. My own truck Explorer 2006 4.0 with no codes. I just don’t think the cold 20* weather startup RPM should be 2k to 2.5k. Scanned with Solus Pro and ECT AND IAT is within 10* of ambient. Any help would be great. I’m a retired mechanic by the way but you know you never stop learning.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 1 month ago #27570 by Matts Auto
Replied by Matts Auto on topic 2006 Ford cold RPM
Have you checked & cleaned throttle housing/ plate ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msober1

More
5 years 1 month ago #27594 by Msober1
Replied by Msober1 on topic 2006 Ford cold RPM
Yes I’m sorry guys I cleaned properly and inspected the throttle blade. She is free and clean. Truck has 110k and was well cared for. Syn oil all it life and trans service every 40k. This just started this December. MAF clean and free of bugs or dirt. Ty for your reply.

More
5 years 1 month ago #27597 by Alex Ace Auto
Replied by Alex Ace Auto on topic 2006 Ford cold RPM
If you have the option run a smoke test for a vacuum leak in the system. A cheap guess is the PCV valve is ruptured/bad. Fixed tons of these on this year range of explorer and expedition.

More
5 years 1 month ago #27600 by Msober1
Ty for the reply. I didn’t hear anything like a vacuum leak and did a spray test around the intake because of the older ones would have cracks. The high RPM will settle down on its own after the coolant reaches 70* that’s why I thought intake Orings.

More
5 years 1 month ago #27602 by Alex Ace Auto
Replied by Alex Ace Auto on topic 2006 Ford cold RPM
V-type engines are prone to internal vac. Leaks where smoke tests won't expose. Could be intake rings however I urge you to check that PCV due to the number of times I've seen this issue. If you look at the attachment I provided from Paul's book can show you how to determine an internal vac leak. Internal to the intake and crankcase.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msober1

More
5 years 1 month ago #27606 by Msober1
Ty again yes sir I will check the PCV hose and valve. Ford must have some spec as to throttle blade position to temp. That’s the only time this happens. I know it’s OL and CL but they must have a number. When my son changed his intake and throttle body on his Mustang 5.0 on first startup it would run at 3k so the tuner was able to adjust it through the software to the normal idle. I’ll tell you I lost on this one. I hope it’s the PCV and then I’ll have my kid kick me.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
5 years 1 month ago #27608 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic 2006 Ford cold RPM
The idle does sound high, but I would still want to check the desired RPM data pid against the actual rpm to see what the computer command is during a cold start.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
5 years 1 month ago #27623 by Msober1
Thanks Noah for the reply. I had a chance to run a scan on my truck today. Nice and cold 10* out. I saved some movies and bitmap files of the throttle control and data stream. Both before start cold running cold and then in CL. I will post the PID results when I open my laptop. I’m using a Solus Pro that’s new to me.

More
5 years 1 month ago #27624 by Msober1
Hello I did finally get to check the PCV hose and valve and everything was okay.

More
5 years 1 month ago #27631 by Msober1
Hello Noah. Throttle data today @ 18* temperature ambient was.
Actual 1985
Desired. 1600
Sorry I’m on my phone and didn’t know I could upload a file. I did movie and bitmap.

More
5 years 1 month ago #27665 by Msober1
Hey Noah so is as much as 385rpm difference normal between desired and actual?

More
5 years 1 month ago #27669 by Msober1
Thank you everyone for your help. I did the Ford electronic throttle body calibration procedure and now it’s back to normal. Not sure why it lost its mind because I have not removed any power from the PCM in this truck so let’s see how long it stays. Thanks again.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
5 years 1 month ago #27670 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic 2006 Ford cold RPM
Sorry for the late reply, I'm not getting email notifications for some reason...
Glad you got it sorted out:)

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
5 years 1 month ago #27672 by Msober1
No sweat Noah you helped me out I’m very grateful. I’m retired now so I have some time to myself. I’ve never been a part canon type of guy and I really like what Paul has set up. I new to the site and am going to buy Paul’s book.

Time to create page: 0.218 seconds