Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2001 Lincoln Town Car 4.6 no fuel pressure.

More
5 years 2 months ago #27181 by auto58
2001 Lincoln Town Car with no fuel pressure. Codes P0231(fuel pump secondary circuit low) and P0232 (fuel pump secondary circuit high). Check fuel pump relay. It checked out ok. Checked the inertia switch with a Ohm check it has continuity and checked out fine. Took my power probe and applied voltage to the pump at inertia switch wire PNK/BLK and the pump worked. I got pressure at the fuel rail on my pressure gage. Fuel pump worked with 12 volts from the power probe. Checked the DG/ YE wire at the inertia switch connector with DVM and had 7.1 volts. jumped wires at inertia switch and fuel pimp still did not work. The fuel system is a mechanical Return Type system with a fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail with a return line . Researching the problem one possibility is the fuel monitor pump circuit. What makes up the monitor circuit? any help would be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 months ago #27217 by Tyler

auto58 wrote: Checked the DG/ YE wire at the inertia switch connector with DVM and had 7.1 volts.

Was this measurement taken during cranking/pump prime? Or just KOEO?

Including the wiring diagram for reference.

File Attachment:

File Name: fuelpumprelay.pdf
File Size:412 KB

If your 7.1V measurement was taken with the fuel pump relay energized, then you absolutely have a voltage drop ahead of the inertia switch. ;) Next place to test is at the Battery Junction Box. I see that you tested the relay - that's fine. I'm not concerned about the relay at this point, but the wiring itself.

I'd start with some quick checks of all four fuel pump relay pins with your DVOM. Partially install the relay in its socket so all four pins make contact, but still have some exposed pins for testing purposes.

Because of your 7.1V reading, we're mostly concerned about the load side of the relay (pins 3 and 5). One should show battery voltage if the pump is on or not. The other should show the battery voltage with the relay energized (cranking or during pump prime).

Do these tests and let us know what you find. :cheer:
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: auto58

More
5 years 2 months ago #27296 by auto58
the voltage reading was with KOEO

More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #27297 by auto58
the voltage reading was with KOEO. I used a relay jumper and all of the pin points on the relay were correct.
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by auto58.

Time to create page: 1.020 seconds