Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

1996 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L Timing (Flexplate HELP)

More
5 years 4 months ago #25591 by Travis611
This vehicle runs rich at idle, -25% total trim. Cuts out and misses underheavy load, o2 reports lean. Fuel pressure is within spec; pump and regulator are new. (Vehicle originally had 70psi fuel pressure that would bleed down in 30 secs)

The timing sync pattern is way off. After checking the distributor and timing chain part of the system, I'm now suspecting the flexplate/ ckp operation.

Question is, anyone have any experience or tips to verify flexplate without pulling trans just to "take a look"? Also how the hell is this thing running? I did scope cranking compression with ign coil, seems TDC to me.. Maybe a clue?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 4 months ago #25683 by graywave
I'll look for my good waveforms but you can take a look at one of my threads relating to cam crank timing for a 96 jeep. No distributor.

www.scannerdanner.com/forum/post-your-re...ase-study.html#23343

Confirm what it's not, and fix what it is!

More
5 years 4 months ago #25698 by Travis611
I found a known good pattern with an ignition channel like I had mine set up. The coil was firing on the fourth crank pulse, and my pattern lined up exactly. Combined with the relative compression test, this verified spark was occurring at true TDC.. So shifted flexplate ruled out. (Well in theory, because I couldn't find any documentation directly stating CKP is responsible for spark timing. but it made more sense than some algorithm using both cmp & ckp.)

The distributor was faulty. Bad part, probably out of the box. Specifically the CMP ring alignment. Ordered a new distributor to compare. Once it was set and timed properly, the rotor and cmp ring moved forward just enough to bring them back in sync.

Engine is still running rich, but no longer cutting out, hesitating, or bogging.
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.260 seconds