Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2009 Chrysler Town & Country Touring 4.0L P2100 Throttle Actuator

More
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #24228 by StupidRalph
@Ben
PCM connected test light on B+ pin 3 pin 5 pin 6 light test green. Hmm...

@Tyler
I didn't read for understanding apparently first time. In essence, I'm testing the integrity of the wires from pin 3 and pin 5. Test light on ETC motor pin all the way through to pcm c2 which is grounded. Performing test now.
Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by StupidRalph. Reason: Added image for reference

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 6 months ago #24230 by StupidRalph
Ok Tyler.
Unplugged TB and PCM connectors. Grounded the PCM connector and used test light connected to B+ on pin 3. Pin 3 illuminates green.

Performed same test changing position on PCM connector to associate with pin 5. Pin 5 illuminates test light green.

More
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #24240 by StupidRalph
So I found a post that contained troubleshooting for a Chrysler 300c / Dodge Magnum. Different vehicles but the concepts appear to be the same from across vehicles as I see the same steps for PT Cruiser and Jeep Wrangler. Pins on the both connectors are the same. The only variance appears to be the Ohms when measuring the actual TB on step 10. Here are my results.

Test 1
pass

Test 2
pass

Test 3
pass

Test 4
pass

Test 5
No Reading (Multimeter did not change)

Edit
I'm not sure that I am doing this correctly. I have both the TB connector and PCM unplugged. Then I am connecting my multimeter to the relevant pins for ETC + and ETC - on the PCM connector. But since the connector at the TB is disconnected wouldn't that be the reason I don't have a response on the multimeter? Should I jump the pins on the TB connector? I tried this same test with the TB connector connected at it shows a resistance of 06.5 when set to 200 on my MM.
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by StupidRalph.

More
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #24242 by StupidRalph

Test 6
pass (00.4 when set to 200 on multimeter)

Test 7
No Reading (Multimeter did not change)
EDIT:Connected jumper wire from PCM ETC (+) pin to known ground on transmission. One end of MM probe on ground and other end on ETC (+) reads 00.4

Test 8
pass (00.4 when set to 200 on multimeter)

Test 9
No Reading (Multimenter did not change)
EDIT:Connected jumper wire from PCM ETC (-) pin to known ground on transmission. One end of MM probe on ground and other end on ETC (-) reads 00.4

More
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #24256 by StupidRalph
Went back and read all previous posts to ensure I've done all steps requested. I do believe I have. I hate to jump the gun with the additional testing but only did so due to no response. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Addendum
Just wanted to add that the test may be skewed as well now b/c its no longer a hard fault as it is not giving the P2100 DTC. So for intermittent issues, I remember Paul saying to look for vibration and heat. So I didn't see any heat issues with my contact points. So I drove around and she performed without issue. I was able to turn vehicle off / on and continue to drive without issue. I then decided to locate several speed bumps and a more coarse terrain to which after I powered the car off and turned it back on symptoms reappeared.

More
5 years 6 months ago #24273 by Tyler
Gotta love intermittents! :silly:

Love the testing you've done. Just so I'm clear, what kind of test light are you using? A digital/LED/logic probe type? If so, that's probably not drawing enough of a load to really load those wires. An incandescent or small bulb (921) would put apply more load, and possibly expose wiring issues easier/faster.

It's interesting that the code only reset after a key cycle... And I recall that the PCM appears to have been replaced? :huh: At this point, I think you're looking at a partially broken wire, or a pin contact issue to the TB.

At this point, I think your best option is to install a load bulb on the ETC + and - wires, and carefully wiggle the harness while watching for the bulb to go out. If you get it to go out, you're close to the problem.

It's not pretty, but you could also cut the existing ETC + and - wires and run your own. Again, not preferable. But if the symptoms go away, you can send your TB pigtail back and either make the new wires permanent, or dig into the harness further. When symptoms are this intermittent, sometimes you gotta resort to stuff like this. :(

More
5 years 6 months ago #24279 by StupidRalph
Thanks for the feedback. Yes the PCM appears to have been replaced some time after June 2016.

Currently I only have an LED test light and the smart probe which is also LED.

Before work I began digging thru my wire loom to locate my issue. Ive already unraveled from the PCM to the upper intake. I'm off tomorrow so I will try and pick up a better test light and jostling the wires. If not I plan on removing the intake and finish unraveling the harness. I have come to grips that running new wires may be necessary. I'll post my findings.

More
4 years 11 months ago #30167 by StupidRalph
Just wanted to tie up this issue. Mechanic replaced wires and PCM. More than likely only issue was with PCM based on previous test. I now have a check engine light but no longer in limp mode and accelerates normally. Hopefully they'll clear up the few DTCs and I'll be on my way.

More
2 years 3 months ago #54000 by Dtnel
What was the end result on this? What were the codes set after fixing?

OE info shows on those tests performed that you have to have KOEO and Key off at other times.

Time to create page: 0.331 seconds