Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

91 s10 4.3 no power to fuel pump

More
6 years 1 month ago #18682 by gregster

pole71 wrote: Since you have power on A6, ,B1, and C16, but get no power on the A1(g/w wire) when the Key is first turned on, or while cranking, I believe this is pointing to a bad ECM.

As a final check, I would verify good grounds on A12 and D1.

Does anyone have a second opinion?

Ok I will check ground. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 1 month ago #18704 by chief eaglebear
Maybe check voltage on grounds if any while your there

More
6 years 1 month ago #18709 by gregster

chief eaglebear wrote: Maybe check voltage on grounds if any while your there

How do I do that?

More
6 years 1 month ago #18710 by Chad
To check your grounds for voltage, put the Negative lead of your multi-meter on the negative battery post and positive lead on the ground wire. You want to see LESS than 100 Milli-volts while the circuit is loaded (in use).

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)

More
6 years 1 month ago #18725 by gregster

pole71 wrote: To check your grounds for voltage, put the Negative lead of your multi-meter on the negative battery post and positive lead on the ground wire. You want to see LESS than 100 Milli-volts while the circuit is loaded (in use).

Ok thanks I will check that.

More
6 years 1 month ago #19042 by gregster

gregster wrote:

pole71 wrote: To check your grounds for voltage, put the Negative lead of your multi-meter on the negative battery post and positive lead on the ground wire. You want to see LESS than 100 Milli-volts while the circuit is loaded (in use).

Ok thanks I will check that.

Good morning, I checked grounds they were around 12mv I replaced ecm to no avail. The reading is the same at grn/wht wire 11.7 then 0.07 when relay is plugged in. How can bias voltage trip the relay? I just don't understand that. Thanks

More
6 years 1 month ago #19167 by gregster

Dyllan.Love334 wrote:

gregster wrote: Hi with key on the ecm green white wire has 11.70 volts w/o relay. With relay same wire is only reading 0.07 volts. Black and white wire is good ground.fuel pump works when org and grey wire is jumped. Any ideas?

Have you done an ohm test on the control side and the power side of the relay?

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

Hi, I did put power to it with battery from cordless drill. It engaged relay. Then I check ohms it read zero resistance. Thanks

More
6 years 1 month ago #19261 by gregster

Tyler wrote: pole71, I'm really not trying to be a jerk here. :blush: But, don't the GM fuel pump relay control circuits work this way by design? There's a bias voltage present on the dark green/white wire, as a circuit check on the control side of the relay.

This video is what I'm referring to:

Or, is this old news? 'Cause I'm sorry if it is! :silly:

Will the dark green/white wire light a test light during cranking? Or, during the key on fuel pump prime.

Hi, how does the relay get trip by bias voltage?it doesn't make sense that it can't light a test light, but could trip relay. Thanks

More
6 years 1 month ago #19262 by Chad

gregster wrote: how does the relay get trip by bias voltage?it doesn't make sense that it can't light a test light, but could trip relay. Thanks

The bias voltage is not direct battery voltage. There is a resistor in the circuit that GREATLY reduces current flow. This voltage is there all the time (when the key is on). This voltage does NOT activate the relay. It is there for diagnostic purposes. When the relay is inserted, it pulls this voltage to ground, just like the test light does. When it is time to activate the relay, A NON-resisted voltage is applied. THIS is the voltage that activates the relay.

I will try to find a video that illustrates this better than I can explain.

The following user(s) said Thank You: gregster

More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #19263 by Chad
This is a free ScannerDanner Premium video that addresses bias voltage for an oxygen sensor. I would recommend taking advantage, if you haven't already, of the 14 day free trial of ScannerDanner Premium. There is a wealth of information waiting for you.B)

Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by Chad.

More
6 years 1 month ago #19275 by gregster
So I replaced ecm and have same issue so how do I get non resistant voltage? Or test That? Could it be in module? Thanks for the help

More
6 years 1 month ago #19294 by Chad
The ECM supplies the power to activate the relay on the GRN/WHT wire.

Turn the key off. Remove the relay. With a test light connected to battery negative, touch the terminal of the GRN/WHT wire. The light will not be lit. Now, turn the key to the ON/RUN position. The test light should light for 2 seconds.

Attachments:

More
6 years 1 month ago #19326 by gregster

pole71 wrote: The ECM supplies the power to activate the relay on the GRN/WHT wire.

Turn the key off. Remove the relay. With a test light connected to battery negative, touch the terminal of the GRN/WHT wire. The light will not be lit. Now, turn the key to the ON/RUN position. The test light should light for 2 seconds.

Ok I used test light as explained and no light when key is turned on. Test light works with org wire but nothing on grn/wht wire right when keys is turn on. So I'm not thinking there should be bias voltage from what the info you gave me states. Appreciate the help, any other ideas?

Time to create page: 0.264 seconds