Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2008 Impala vent circuit (FIXED)

More
6 years 2 months ago #18129 by bruce.oliver
Oh and the purge command is likely not working because the computer is seeing such an extreme vacuum on the tank.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monde, Tutti57

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 months ago #18130 by Tutti57

bruce.oliver wrote: Oh and the purge command is likely not working because the computer is seeing such an extreme vacuum on the tank.

Makes sense that the vent would stay open too in the even the purge is leaking, that's the safest bet. Just a guess.

Man, you want to be able to trust your tools. I wrote Autel an email in disappointment yesterday. I should have been more diligent in verifying the code itself, but I thought that was the point of the description.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

More
6 years 2 months ago #18135 by Tutti57

Monde wrote:

bruce.oliver wrote: Oh and the purge command is likely not working because the computer is seeing such an extreme vacuum on the tank.

I was looking at the FTP sensor voltage and thought that with the system OFF( Vent valve open and Purge valve closed) the FTP sensor voltage should be around 1.5 as you mentioned. With that high voltage, (GM High FTP sensor voltage= High vacuum and low pressure and low FTP sensor voltage= High pressure and low vacuum )there should be no pressure in the tank. If the gas cap were removed, no pressure should have been noted. Besides the possible reason that you gave for the pcm not to command both the vent and the purge valve, I would think that the present code could be another possible reason. He should try erasing the code and see. Even though, the code is not a circuit fault code, I would just check for a short to voltage, just to be on the safe side.

I wanted to erase it but the owner didn't want me to reset the monitors on it.

More
6 years 2 months ago #18139 by bruce.oliver
Sometimes you have to clear the codes. We had a GM that wouldn't read the new FTP sensor correctly until after we cleared the codes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tutti57

More
6 years 2 months ago #18557 by Tutti57
Finally got this one wrapped up today. I have full control over the vent and purge now. I was hoping the tank would have less than 10 gallons in it when I got to it...pumped five out into a gas can and suffered through the rest on my back.

Side note, I emailed Autel about that wrong code description and didn't hear anything so I asked for an update on their response. They got right back to me with an follow up question that showed they didn't read or understand my original message. I tried to clarify and haven't heard back since.

Thanks again for the help on this one. I learned a lot!

More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #18574 by bruce.oliver
I guess you replaced the FTP sensor?

I didn't think about it this weekend, they had a booth at Vision. But I am going to Seattle for the ATE training expo on the 16th. If Autel has a booth at the trade show portion I will bring it up. What model do you have? And when was the last time you updated it?
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by bruce.oliver.

More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #18605 by Tutti57
Yes, it was the tank pressure sensor.

Thanks man. It's the AL619 and I updated it the day you helped with the discovery and that didn't make a difference. Not a bad tool for $100 that does abs and srs, but the interface isn't great. Usually will show more than 1 engine module and have to go digging around in each one to find the pids you want.
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Tutti57.

More
6 years 2 months ago #18608 by Tutti57

Monde wrote:

Tutti57 wrote: Finally got this one wrapped up today. I have full control over the vent and purge now. I was hoping the tank would have less than 10 gallons in it when I got to it...pumped five out into a gas can and suffered through the rest on my back.

Side note, I emailed Autel about that wrong code description and didn't hear anything so I asked for an update on their response. They got right back to me with an follow up question that showed they didn't read or understand my original message. I tried to clarify and haven't heard back since.

Thanks again for the help on this one. I learned a lot!

I am glad to see this finally has come to an end. I have learned a lot from it. So, you replaced the FTPS, cleared the code, and the pcm grounded both the purge and vent valve? I see you are saying something about less than 10 gallons.

Thanks for your help too. Yes, everything is working properly now with with the pressure sensor fix. Cool to see the driver shut down in action.

I was just saying that the owner had 10 gallons in the tank when he dropped it off and I only had a 5 gallon container to pump it into. It sucks messing with the tank on your back with 5 gallons sloshing from one side to the other!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Monde

Time to create page: 0.216 seconds