Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2008 Impala vent circuit (FIXED)

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #14363 by Tutti57
I'll working on a 3.5 impala that has a evap vent valve circuit code (can't remember which one off hand now) and here's where I'm at.

Bench tested the valve, got a slight click but no valve movement. Harness has 12v both when I bi-directionally open and close the valve. No change in voltage. Load pro indicates massive voltage drop in the circuit.

Am I looking for a short to ground here or could it be a computer issue that is applying a constant ground. The voltage drop is what has me thinking a short though.

Does it sound like I'm on track with this?

Thanks as always!

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Tutti57.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 6 months ago #14364 by cheryl hartkorn
fueltank pressure sensor voltage should be 1.5 volts with the capoff. ive seen a bad pressure sensor cause a vent code. but if i were you id put my test light in place of the valve and look for it to turn on and off with a scanner

More
6 years 6 months ago #14365 by Tutti57

cheryl hartkorn wrote: fueltank pressure sensor voltage should be 1.5 volts with the capoff. ive seen a bad pressure sensor cause a vent code. but if i were you id put my test light in place of the valve and look for it to turn on and off with a scanner

Thanks Cheryl. I'm having a hard time understanding why there is always 12v at that connector if it's supposed to be a ground side switch? Wouldn't there only be 12v when I turn the valve on with my scan tool unless there is a bad wire being ground somewhere else?

More
6 years 6 months ago #14381 by Tyler
When you command the valve on, do you have 12V on both wires? Or just one? On a working system, with the valve commanded on, you'd have 12V on one wire and 0V on the other.

Which wire was shown to have a massive voltage drop by the LoadPro?

More
6 years 6 months ago #14388 by Tutti57

Tyler wrote: When you command the valve on, do you have 12V on both wires? Or just one? On a working system, with the valve commanded on, you'd have 12V on one wire and 0V on the other.

Which wire was shown to have a massive voltage drop by the LoadPro?

Because of voltage drop, right? I cant remember now if they both had power, I just thought it was off that there was power with it on and off. The loadpro showed drop on the power wire.

More
6 years 6 months ago #14400 by Nandor69
with the connector plugged into the valve you should have 12V if you back probe both wires. with the valve commanded on you should have 12v on the red/white wire and 0v on the white wire.

So the ecm is grounding that solenoid with the white wire. check for ground at the ecm when you are commanding the valve on. with and without the solenoid plugged in

More
6 years 6 months ago #14406 by Tutti57

Nandor69 wrote: with the connector plugged into the valve you should have 12V if you back probe both wires. with the valve commanded on you should have 12v on the red/white wire and 0v on the white wire.

So the ecm is grounding that solenoid with the white wire. check for ground at the ecm when you are commanding the valve on. with and without the solenoid plugged in

What if I have 12v there with it commanded off?

More
6 years 6 months ago #14407 by Nandor69
Are you measuring 12v at the solenoid or at the ecm on the control wire while commanding it on?

More
6 years 6 months ago #14408 by Tutti57
Replied by Tutti57 on topic Re:2008 Impala vent circuit
I took out the solonoid and replaced it with the volt meter probes. Also used volt meter with + probe on control wire and grounded the other. Got 12v with valve commanded on and off.

More
6 years 6 months ago #14421 by Nandor69

Monde wrote: The solenoid should be fine since you have 12v on the control wire.Your next check is for open on the ground (control) wire at the pcm. If you measure 12v there, the wire is fine, and your issue might be with the driver.

Exactly!

More
6 years 6 months ago #14460 by Tutti57

Nandor69 wrote:

Monde wrote: The solenoid should be fine since you have 12v on the control wire.Your next check is for open on the ground (control) wire at the pcm. If you measure 12v there, the wire is fine, and your issue might be with the driver.

Exactly!

Sorry, I feel pretty dense here. Doesn't the v meter replacing the solonoid showing 12v show that there is power and ground, a complete circuit? The solonoid is definitely bad. What I'm seeing is 12v with the valved commanded on and with it commanded off, using a scantool, and the v meter replacing the valve.

Sorry, I'm just trying to understand what is going on here. The wire diagram looks pretty simple, so I might not be understanding something. It seems like the computer is grounding the circuit no matter what the command is.

Example, I don't understand how there could be an open wire if I have 12v.

Thanks again!

More
6 years 6 months ago #14461 by Nandor69
So you have the solenoid unplugged and one of the voltmeter leads on one wire and the other lead on the other wire in the connector?
If so, you should read 0v with it off and 12v with it on

More
6 years 6 months ago #14464 by Tutti57

Nandor69 wrote: So you have the solenoid unplugged and one of the voltmeter leads on one wire and the other lead on the other wire in the connector?
If so, you should read 0v with it off and 12v with it on

Correct. I have 12v with it on and off.

More
6 years 6 months ago #14466 by bruce.oliver
Wiring diagram shows Red/White wire is 12v from a fuse and the white wire is ground controlled by the PCM

More
6 years 6 months ago #14467 by bruce.oliver
If you have ground on the white wire all the time, the wire could be shorted to ground

More
6 years 6 months ago #14468 by Tutti57

bruce.oliver wrote: If you have ground on the white wire all the time, the wire could be shorted to ground

That's what I was thinking. Or there is something wrong with the pcm. The other thing is that the load pro was showing voltage drop/high resistance on the red/white wire.

More
6 years 6 months ago #14472 by bruce.oliver
My guess is you have a wiring problem. Wherever the resistance is in the power wire you'll likely find the short to ground on the other wire

More
6 years 5 months ago #15018 by Tutti57
Replied by Tutti57 on topic 2008 Impala vent circuit
I've got the car back again now to figure this one out. I had some incorrect information that I provided earlier on. The voltage drop is on the ground wire. I have 12v when I replace the solenoid but not enough to make my test light shine. I'm confident the voltage drop is on the ground wire. Finding it is killing me though. What are some likely places to look here?

Attachments:

More
6 years 5 months ago #15021 by Tutti57

Tutti57 wrote: I've got the car back again now to figure this one out. I had some incorrect information that I provided earlier on. The voltage drop is on the ground wire. I have 12v when I replace the solenoid but not enough to make my test light shine. I'm confident the voltage drop is on the ground wire. Finding it is killing me though. What are some likely places to look here?

I also have to rule out the driver still.

More
6 years 5 months ago #15023 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic 2008 Impala vent circuit
X200 is a bulk connector, and the dotted line means all those wires are in the same connector. I don't know for certain, but I think X200 is an eight or ten pin connector that plugs into the body, near the right rear wheel. That same connector will have the fuel pump and fuel tank pressure sensor wiring in it, too.

I've never seen an issue with X200, so my guess would be that you're gonna find a wiring issue within a few inches of the vent valve connector.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tutti57

Time to create page: 0.304 seconds