Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Honda Civic poor running and no data link info(fixed)

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #14162 by davidmorelli
Hey People
Dave here, new to the site but not new to this earth:)
2002 Honda Civic, 1.7 liter coil over plug, brought to me on the bed of a tow truck.
The car starts but only idles, and it smells like it is getting too much fuel. When we try to rev the engine
it acts as though the exhaust is plugged. It is so "Gutless" I have to have the students push it onto the drive-on hoist.
We pulled the O2 and installed a pressure gauge....zero pressure:(
Also the Tach does not show any RPM's
Someone put a new exhaust header with the CAT built onto it along with a new O2.
I plug-in the scan tool to see what is going on but there is no communication with my scan tool. It can verify the car then says it can
communicate with the computer.
It has power at pin 8 (battery input) on the connector and grounds at pins 12, 13 I used a test light and a volt meter to confirm.
If i connect a volt meter to pin 15 (DLC input/output) will I or should I see a voltage there? Also at pin 6 (SRS) would voltage be there also?
I can not tell if anything is working because the scan tool is not able to connect. And I do not have a scope to check components.
I am saving to buy one:)

Any thoughts would be of great help
Thanks Dave
Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by davidmorelli. Reason: I installed a new computer. Then had to updated so it would recognize the key...runs great and data port now connects to scan tool

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 6 months ago #14167 by Nandor69
so the scan tool does or does not communicate? Im assuming this is not a hatchback by your pinout and the diagram I'm looking at. yes you should see something on pin 6 and 15 if the modules are communicating. I have no idea what that would look like on a voltmeter tho. do you have a scope?

Also, according to the diagram only pin 12 should be ground, pin 13 looks like it goes to the ecm, injector control module, immobilizer control unit

More
6 years 6 months ago #14169 by davidmorelli
I will look at my diagram again. I am using a diagram from ALLDATA so it is hard to follow.
I do not have a scope:(

It is another day here in CA so I will post what We can find out.

Thanks for responding

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #14170 by Nandor69
Here is the diagram I am looking at from Mitchell. I looked up a 2002 Honda Civic LX. This is the diagram for Computer Data lines (except hatchback)
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by Nandor69. Reason: Attachment didn't attach
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

More
6 years 6 months ago #14198 by davidmorelli
Boy o Boy
Mitchell’s is a lot easier to follow!
Thanks

More
6 years 6 months ago #14203 by Nandor69

More
6 years 6 months ago #14720 by davidmorelli
All is good!
Replaced the computer and the car runs like a top...at last!

More
6 years 6 months ago #14721 by Nandor69
Awesome man!!! Glad to see you got it fixed!!!

You should re-edit this post as [Fixed]

More
6 years 6 months ago #14733 by Tyler
Nice fix! Was there some kind of repair history prior to this car coming to you, or did the computer just fail on its own?

Also, I'm kinda confused by the DLC pin numbering? :huh: Does Honda not number their pins the same way as everyone else?

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
6 years 6 months ago #14775 by Noah
I don't know what it is about those early 2000's Civics. I see a lot of them with bad PCMs...

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

Time to create page: 0.235 seconds