Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

F150 No code intermittent misfire issues

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #65069 by 52Tele

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 1 week ago #65092 by 52Tele
Hello Noah
I thought I saw a way to message individual members on here is that a possibility?

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
1 month 1 week ago - 1 month 1 week ago #65095 by Noah

Hello Noah
I thought I saw a way to message individual members on here is that a possibility?
It used to be. I think that feature was removed during an update to the site. You are welcome to send me an email if you like.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"
Last edit: 1 month 1 week ago by Noah.

More
1 month 1 week ago #65110 by 52Tele
Do you know of any test I could do to definitely determine if I'm having VVT solenoid, cam phaser, or timing chain issues?

More
1 month 1 week ago #65112 by 52Tele
This message contains secure information

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
1 month 1 week ago #65117 by Noah

This video really helped me understand the PIDs used for VVT diagnosis on Ford engines.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"
The following user(s) said Thank You: 52Tele

More
1 month 1 week ago #65125 by 52Tele
Thank you I will watch this in a little bit.

More
1 month 1 week ago #65129 by 52Tele
So after watching that I had previously watched it before and had done the test where you unplug the VCT solenoids. If I remember correctly I still showed some difference between required vs actual. When I get of work I can test again and check.

More
1 month 1 week ago #65143 by 52Tele

Noah, Tyler and others on forum would know far more on vvt than me. I know they recommend oil changes as stated by manufacturers. Looking back, your scanner said both banks lean at 3500 rpm, bank 2 far leaner than bank 1. Just saying.

Bill would I be able to send you a email?

More
1 month 1 week ago #65144 by bills4065
No problem, send it to my wife's email. It is the following, all small letters: eileensullivann@eastlink.ca
Put F150 in subject line, so I know who sent it. Thanks.

More
4 weeks 17 hours ago #65309 by 52Tele
Just wanted to give a small update. The fuel pressure tester I tried didn't have an adapter that would work with the quick connect fuel line so I'm going to find something different.

One interesting thing that has changed. I did an oil change and ran some Marvel mystery oil in my fuel and oil. Now at 3500 rpm these are the consistent results I'm getting.
At 3500 long terms at or around zero for both banks. The screenshot I took 2 days ago shows Short term bank 1 -0.78 and bank 2 30.47. 
Now the interesting part. That bank 2 number builds to that level at 3500 rpm. If I go past 3500 about when I get to 3800 bank 2 short term drops and equals out close to what bank 1 is at the time.
So my questions are would those results be symptoms of stuck closed injectors on bank 2 that re-open when I go past 3500 rpm?

Or can the same thing happen with the VCT system. 
If I'm thinking about this wrong let me know. Couldn't the VCT system be keeping the valves open incorrectly which would then call for more fuel to be injected? And then once the rpm is higher the solenoids aren't sticking as bad. 

Most of the misfires occur on cylinder 6 so even before I was on the forum I swapped the cylinder 6 injector to the opposite bank with not much change.
I hope that today after work I'll have time to swap all injectors from bank 2 over to bank 1 and see if the issue follows.

Would yall agree that is a good next step until i can get another fuel pressure tester?

More
3 weeks 4 days ago #65352 by bills4065
This is directed to anyone with a lot of wide band sensor readings See in this thread reply #64954. see the jpeg 2024-03-19. Bank number 1-86 ua. Bank number 2- 35 ua. Does this look right??

More
3 weeks 4 days ago #65353 by Tyler
You mean this post, bills?

www.scannerdanner.com/forum/post-your-re....html?start=40#64954

Those values seem pretty normal for Ford AFR's. For reference, this is off a known good 2011 F-150 5.0L at idle and during a WOT run:

HPTuners displays the AFR's in mA, but the Autel shows uA, so there'll be a little mental math involved. .027 mA would be 27 uA.

I find that fluctuations of +/- 100 uA is pretty normal for those systems. That's not a rule, just a trend I've noticed.

As long as the commanded equivalence ratio and the actual generally agree, I wouldn't sweat the AFR's too much. Here's another capture of a test drive with the equivalence ratios for both banks, plus a math channel of the difference between commanded and actual. The only real difference comes during decel fuel cut off:

More
3 weeks 4 days ago #65354 by bills4065
Thanks Tyler- I was looking at his beginning and after wide open throttle posted by 52 Tele. At your convenience, look at his sorry this is after screenshots. At 3947 rpm was his lowest lambda number for bank one .72, bank 2 .76 At 5508.25 rpm the lambda number was .83 for both banks.

More
3 weeks 4 days ago #65355 by Tyler

Thanks Tyler- I was looking at his beginning and after wide open throttle posted by 52 Tele. At your convenience, look at his sorry this is after screenshots. At 3947 rpm was his lowest lambda number for bank one .72, bank 2 .76 At 5508.25 rpm the lambda number was .83 for both banks.
Yep, looks good to me. Matches what I saw in that 2011 capture I posted. Those values show good power enrichment at WOT.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bills4065, 52Tele

More
3 weeks 2 days ago #65380 by 52Tele
Hey guys sorry it took a little bit for me to get back on. Yesterday I swapped injectors over from bank 2 over to bank 1. At 3500 rpm still having same issue.
bank 2
short term was  25
long term was -.08

bank 1
Short term -3.1
Long-term-.08

More
3 weeks 2 days ago #65381 by 52Tele
Also I do show some difference between commanded vs actual equivalence ratio

More
3 weeks 2 days ago #65383 by 52Tele
I have the original factory upstream o2 sensors from when I changed them. I replaced them with NTK because from what I researched they were the manufacturer for the Motorcraft. Is there any reason to be concerned about them?

More
3 weeks 11 hours ago #65408 by 52Tele
Hey guys I also noticed something odd when I plug in either scanner. There is a Pid in the Ford data stream for air fuel ratio and it states 13.7:1 instead of 14.7:1 I'm pretty sure it used to say 14.7:1. Any ideas on this?

More
3 weeks 11 hours ago #65409 by 52Tele
Here is an image of what I'm talking about on top.
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.280 seconds