Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

New head gaskets, new timing belt; misfiring at idle

More
5 months 2 weeks ago #63728 by Speedwagon
Hello everyone. 99 Subaru EJ25D DOHC.

The timing belt idler sprocket was smoked, and the timing belt was severely over it's service life. Ended up having 3 bent valves, and both sides were done at the head shop. Resurfaced heads, new gaskets, new timing belt.

Getting misfire codes on 1 and 3, shakes at idle, but smooths out when driving.
I did a compression test, and got well above spec on the right side (1/3), around 200-210.
When I did the left side, it was around 160, which is very normal.

I pulled the front apart and verified I got the timing belt on correctly, which it was. 

I don't understand how I got excessively high compression on 1/3, which is also registering idle misfires.
What should I be looking at to resolve this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 months 2 weeks ago - 5 months 2 weeks ago #63732 by Chad
An advanced intake cam will result in higher compression.

I am not familiar with this engine and I don't know the exact specs for this engine, but intake valves, usually, close around 30°- 60° After Bottom Dead Center. That means that the intake valve is, still, open as the piston begins its compression stroke. Compression does not begin until the valve closes (30°-60° ABDC). If the the intake valve closes early, there is more air volume in the cylinder when the valve closes, and compression begins sooner. The result is, significantly, higher compression.

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)
Last edit: 5 months 2 weeks ago by Chad.

More
5 months 2 weeks ago #63733 by Speedwagon
I appreciate the response, and the explanation.

I've checked the timing on the crank and cams several times at this point, even counted teeth on the belt.

I just checked valve clearance, and it's tight all around (both sides). I would have thought that would cause less compression though; if they are tight, they should open early and close late, yes?

Tolerance on the valves is +- 0.02mm. Only 1 valve was measured at -0.02, the rest are tighter than that.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
5 months 2 weeks ago #63740 by Noah
Too tight is not right, adjust and re test.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
5 months 2 weeks ago #63744 by Tyler
I can only think of a few different causes for abnormally high compression. One would be advanced intake timing like Chad mentioned. Another would be excessive carbon buildup on the pistons. But it'd have to be a LOT of carbon.

The other is that the bank one cylinder head got too much milled off at the machine shop, reducing the volume of the combustion chamber and increasing compression. That'd account for the higher compression on one bank despite correct valve timing. It'd also be tough to prove without disassembly.

As you know, this engine uses bucket shims for valve lash adjustment. So, if most of the valves have insufficient lash, then you're going to end up disassembling most of the upper end to adjust them. Plus buying a shim set, if you don't already own one. At that point, I might consider installing a set of remanufactured or new heads instead.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chad

More
5 months 2 weeks ago #63745 by Chad

The other is that the bank one cylinder head got too much milled off at the machine shop, reducing the volume of the combustion chamber and increasing compression. That'd account for the higher compression on one bank despite correct valve timing. It'd also be tough to prove without disassembly.

With such a significant difference in compression, I'll bet a pulse sensor in the intake would see something.

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)

More
5 months 2 weeks ago #63746 by Tyler

With such a significant difference in compression, I'll bet a pulse sensor in the intake would see something.
Oh it would definitely see something, I agree. I'm just not sure it'd tell us anything we don't already know from the compression numbers. Might show a valve timing issue, if the intake cam on bank one is still advanced.

The only test I could think of that'd help would be in-cylinder on both banks. That'd allow a direct comparison of valve events.

More
5 months 2 weeks ago - 5 months 2 weeks ago #63747 by juergen.scholl

The only test I could think of that'd help would be in-cylinder on both banks. That'd allow a direct comparison of valve events.

There are other ways, you may want to read the attachment and the linked document which is too big to be attached.

drive.google.com/file/d/17YA39LvA5etWpJZ...ho/view?usp=drivesdk

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.
Attachments:
Last edit: 5 months 2 weeks ago by Tyler.

More
5 months 2 weeks ago #63748 by juergen.scholl
Somehow I messed with the quote function and made Tyler write things he didn't.....

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.

More
5 months 2 weeks ago #63750 by Tyler

Somehow I messed with the quote function and made Tyler write things he didn't.....
No worries, I fixed it. The new quote system kinda sucks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: juergen.scholl

More
5 months 1 week ago - 5 months 1 week ago #63793 by Speedwagon

I can only think of a few different causes for abnormally high compression. One would be advanced intake timing like Chad mentioned. Another would be excessive carbon buildup on the pistons. But it'd have to be a LOT of carbon.

As you know, this engine uses bucket shims for valve lash adjustment. So, if most of the valves have insufficient lash, then you're going to end up disassembling most of the upper end to adjust them. Plus buying a shim set, if you don't already own one. At that point, I might consider installing a set of remanufactured or new heads instead.

I've been talking to the shop that did the heads, specifically about the valve lash. They offered to correct it, but they want me to take the heads off and bring them in. The person I was talking too didn't seem to understand quite how the shim over bucket works, as she mentioned taking the valves out to adjust them. But either way, they have offered to fix that. If I take them up on this, I suppose the head can then be inspected for being milled too much. They did offer to cover the head gaskets as well.

They sent a guy over to adjust the valve lash at my house. But when he got here, he looked at it and said he couldn't do it, because it was the shim over bucket style... Yeah, if it was the screw type, I would have just adjusted it. I pulled the engine and heads off, I think I'm capable of turning a screw with a feeler gauge. 

As for the carbon buildup: there was some, but it's wasn't excessive. I could clearly see the tops of the pistons and the indentations that the tops have.
Last edit: 5 months 1 week ago by Speedwagon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tyler

More
5 months 1 week ago #63826 by Speedwagon
Before I take the heads off, and to the shop that worked on them, someone on another forum requested a dry/wet compression test. So I thought I'd post that over here too.

Dry Wet
1 210 220
3 210 220
2 155 170
4 165 175

More
5 months 1 week ago - 5 months 1 week ago #63832 by Speedwagon
Well I may have found my problem. Took the engine out to take the heads off, and while loosening the cam sprocket bolts, the right intake was spinning without loosening when I was loosening it. Got it to break loose, and found this: 

Camshaft

Don't know if it was damaged before, or if I did this. But it seems that this could explain the higher than normal compression readings, with it being a few teeth off on cam timing as a result.
Last edit: 5 months 1 week ago by Speedwagon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tyler

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
5 months 6 days ago #63852 by Noah
I didn't see the pic, but I'm glad you found the issue

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

Time to create page: 0.278 seconds