A place for things that don't fit into the automotive world

Automotive Field Opinions

More
6 years 1 month ago #19753 by Tutti57

bruce.oliver wrote: Where are you at Tutti57? State? Not to discourage you, but $17/hr flatrate should be illegal.

Rochester NY.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 1 month ago #19755 by Tutti57

Tutti57 wrote:

bruce.oliver wrote: Where are you at Tutti57? State? Not to discourage you, but $17/hr flatrate should be illegal.

Rochester NY.

I thought that was pretty good for a lube tech. Is it not?

More
6 years 1 month ago #19769 by Tyler

Tutti57 wrote: I thought that was pretty good for a lube tech. Is it not?

When I was flat rate, I worked for a lot less than that. But, I was also getting screwed. :lol: Kansas is also a long way from NY, too.

It sounds like you got on board with a pretty legit operation, sir!

More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #19772 by bruce.oliver
As far as flat rate goes I guess it's ok for a lube tech to be at $17/hr. In my opinion, a lube tech shouldn't be on flat rate especially when just starting out. But as long as you're making what you need to and are comfortable making it, that's all that matters. Just learn as much as you can and don't be afraid to move on if they try to hold you back to much or if they try to keep you on the lube rack to long.
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by bruce.oliver.

More
6 years 1 month ago #19796 by Tutti57
Gotcha.

More
6 years 1 month ago #19798 by graywave

Not to discourage you, but $17/hr flatrate should be illegal.

I worked at a Kia Dealership for 4 days. Reason it was so short was due to the fact they went back on their word which was to pay me hourly. I told them I was not working for flat rate. 3 days into my stay they put me on $16/hr flat rate. I did 1 oil change a day. I walked out the next day, came back loaded my tools and they sent me a check for "hourly pay" for the hours I worked. Asked if I would change my mind and stay lol. NOPE. Im not a lub tech, I am so much more. The mechanic I work with now says I should be making the same as him if not more due to my diagnostic ability.

I could go in circles around many techs when it comes to diagnostics while those same tech could go in circles around me when it comes to ripping out engines and transmissions. We all have our strengths. regardless, I am worth way more. I am not making what I am worth still right now but the shop I am working at is paying me $19/hr "hourly" after 3 raises in 3 months lol. I am the only one in the company (2 shops) that can analyze oscilloscope waveforms so I get sent all the odd problems and prove the boss wrong, its great :-D

Confirm what it's not, and fix what it is!

More
6 years 1 month ago #19800 by graywave
Replied by graywave on topic Automotive Field Opinions
Yup, always look to advance your knowledge. Take notes, talk to other techs, learn from their mistakes and yours. Make your self indispensable by having proprietary knowledge. I share only the very basics but nothing else. Everyone mechanic can turn a wrench, but not enough of them can diagnose anything properly. Thats not to say they are a bad tech, we just all have strengths and weaknesses

If you're on this forum, you obviously want to learn advanced skills. So keep pushing forward

As far as flat rate goes I guess it's ok for a lube tech to be at $17/hr. In my opinion, a lube tech shouldn't be on flat rate especially when just starting out. But as long as you're making what you need to and are comfortable making it, that's all that matters. Just learn as much as you can and don't be afraid to move on if they try to hold you back to much or if they try to keep you on the lube rack to long.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Tutti57

More
6 years 1 month ago #19803 by BroncoMcbane

graywave wrote: What I find funny is my boss says ASE certs don't matter to him, which is why the ASE master techs make $23/hr and I have years of experience in the field with no ASEs and I start out at the bottom.

I plan on starting my own Diagnostic Business anyways, I have a few people who would work for me too but need to plan it out more. It was going to start this year but having to move to another house put a damper in that plan. O well. Next year maybe.

A diag business you can do from your truck. So dont be dismayed. You can set up shop in your basement and just work out of your truck.

The Thermoquad Cowboy

More
6 years 1 month ago #19804 by BroncoMcbane

Shoot thats what they were paying master techs in florida when I was there in 2005. That may be why it is hard to get new guys? My buddy's son tried to get in when he graduated high school but he could make more money with no responsibility working 3rd shift at Sams Club.

The Thermoquad Cowboy

More
6 years 1 month ago #19806 by BroncoMcbane

bruce.oliver wrote: As far as flat rate goes I guess it's ok for a lube tech to be at $17/hr. In my opinion, a lube tech shouldn't be on flat rate especially when just starting out. But as long as you're making what you need to and are comfortable making it, that's all that matters. Just learn as much as you can and don't be afraid to move on if they try to hold you back to much or if they try to keep you on the lube rack to long.

I have encountered that before. I had been at a DEALER for a year and they never sent me out to any of the regional training classes. Then I talk to guys in New Jersey and they were like they were going to classes 3-4x a month.

The Thermoquad Cowboy

More
6 years 1 month ago #19811 by Tutti57
I think I got lucky with this job. I turned 43 hours my first week. Those days included set up and he meetings, so I'm excited for a full week. Today I got screwed since they thought I had off and didn't book any appointments. I took a few walk ina this morning and did online trainings the rest of the day, which pays .5-1/hr per training, and there is no shortage.

The lube tech before me averaged 53/week. Honestly, I'm really enjoying the change.

More
6 years 1 month ago #19823 by cheryl hartkorn
sucks that the automotive pay sucks. im glad im retired now and just do this on my own time for something to do. 40 years was enough

More
6 years 1 month ago #19824 by bruce.oliver

cheryl hartkorn wrote: sucks that the automotive pay sucks. im glad im retired now and just do this on my own time for something to do. 40 years was enough

It doesn't suck everywhere. There are some good shops out there that pay well. There will be 1 more once I find a good enough shop to buy

More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #19829 by BroncoMcbane

bruce.oliver wrote:

cheryl hartkorn wrote: sucks that the automotive pay sucks. im glad im retired now and just do this on my own time for something to do. 40 years was enough

It doesn't suck everywhere. There are some good shops out there that pay well. There will be 1 more once I find a good enough shop to buy

Bruce I had an interview with Avis Budget RAC in NYC two weeks ago and they said they start at $14/hr and pay $0.15 more for every ASE you have and $0.30 for your state inspection license. So having all 8 ASEs and the inspectors license put you at a $15.50 max. There you have it.

*Minimum wage in New York City is $13/hr.

The Thermoquad Cowboy
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by BroncoMcbane.

More
6 years 1 month ago #19860 by bruce.oliver

Tutti57 wrote: I think I got lucky with this job. I turned 43 hours my first week. Those days included set up and he meetings, so I'm excited for a full week. Today I got screwed since they thought I had off and didn't book any appointments. I took a few walk ina this morning and did online trainings the rest of the day, which pays .5-1/hr per training, and there is no shortage.

The lube tech before me averaged 53/week. Honestly, I'm really enjoying the change.

That's good to hear. Sounds like you're killing it, 43 hours for your first week in the business. Good job, keep it up and keep learning.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
6 years 1 month ago #19864 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic Re:Automotive Field Opinions
$17 sounds pretty kick ass to start to me. You have no idea the literal sh*t I've worked in for WAY less than that.

I've had the thought of walking into a Dunkin Donuts and head hunting my way up to manager, then maybe regional and raking in easy money compared to the labor intensive job I have now. I'm sure I could do it, but I live for this stuff! I eat, sleep and breath cars. I worked all day on cars, this evening I stopped at my buddies shop and pulled a Ford truck transmission in the dirt and rain, and now I'm half listening to my wife while moderating on an automotive forum. Tonight I'll dream about torque converters and tranny fluid and tomorrow I'll check iATN while I'm brushing my teeth and think about changing the batteries in the front end loader on the ride to work.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
6 years 1 month ago #19889 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Re:Automotive Field Opinions

Noah wrote: I'm sure I could do it, but I live for this stuff! I eat, sleep and breath cars. I worked all day on cars, this evening I stopped at my buddies shop and pulled a Ford truck transmission in the dirt and rain, and now I'm half listening to my wife while moderating on an automotive forum. Tonight I'll dream about torque converters and tranny fluid and tomorrow I'll check iATN while I'm brushing my teeth and think about changing the batteries in the front end loader on the ride to work.

Man, I was right there with you until this part. :lol: EVERYONE knows that torque converters (and automatic transmission in general) are black witchcraft voodoo sorcery.

More
6 years 1 month ago #19896 by graywave
Oh I need a blessing now...I've touched one, crap! lol

I tell my boss all the time, "I'm not a transmission guy".

More
6 years 1 month ago #19917 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Re:Automotive Field Opinions

graywave wrote: I tell my boss all the time, "I'm not a transmission guy".

:lol: Me neither. I've considered rebuilding one in my free time? Just to help get my head around some of the concepts.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
6 years 1 month ago #19921 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic Re:Automotive Field Opinions
I've been converter shopping for my mustang build (and hoarding aod transmissions to blow up).

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

Time to create page: 0.291 seconds