Vantage pro vs vantage legend

More
2 years 7 months ago #51170 by Vantage
Hi guys I’m after some advice on the vantage legend. I currently have a vantage pro and am looking g at selling it and buying a vantage legend. Other then not having a built in amp meter is there any other disadvantages or features the legend doesn’t have. Thanks in advance 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 7 months ago #51185 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Vantage pro vs vantage legend
For me, the big improvement is the touch screen. Navigating menus, setting time/voltage scales, placing cursors are all much easier compared to the D-pad Y/N setup of the MODIS/Vantage Pro.

The disadvantage is saving and reviewing files. Snap-On recently changed how the MODIS Ultra and Triton D8 (same scope platform) saves scope captures. If you're scoping a signal with negative voltage (VR sensors, ignition waveforms, like that), the negative voltage gets chopped off in the saved file. This only really matters if you're building a known good database, or you routinely go back to review your previous captures. If you don't, no worries. :cheer: If you do, this becomes a problem.

I don't know to a certainty that the Vantage Legend has the same problem? But they're all the same hardware underneath, so I'd figure it does.

www.scannerdanner.com/forum/post-your-re....html?start=17#44685
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vantage

More
2 years 7 months ago #51193 by AJeep18
What is the difference between the vantage ultra that I have and the vantage legend? Anyone know? 

More
2 years 7 months ago #51198 by Vantage
I see they have removed the db9 connector what is the reasoning for this

More
2 years 5 months ago #52625 by wowcoop
I have an open Ticket with snap on for the saved wave form issue, and I saw it on my Vantage ultra immediately after I got it last summer, I then upgraded to a Modis ultra and sadly that tool had the issue as well, even after the fall update....I now have a Triton D10, and....... it does not have the issue, which has me concerned as to the cause of the issue to begin with, I always assumed it was part of the software, but being that the Triton runs the same Subscription edition my modis had; I am thinking it may be a hardware related issue with the software upgrade.. The Triton is lightning fast compared with my modis ( main reason I upgraded), but I am also kind of scared that I may have been doing something to cause it....Just like you said it only happens when you record a trace with a negative voltage and then only after you save it...... The first thing I did this Sunday morning was load up my wave form simulator and test the Triton and to my relief it works properly and saves negative to positive sinewaves....I might start a thread on this soon just because It really is a terrible flaw especially when you consider the cost of these tools and their subscription fees...

More
2 years 5 months ago #52656 by Tyler

I have an open Ticket with snap on for the saved wave form issue, and I saw it on my Vantage ultra immediately after I got it last summer, I then upgraded to a Modis ultra and sadly that tool had the issue as well, even after the fall update....I now have a Triton D10, and....... it does not have the issue

Wait, really? :huh: My Triton is still chopping off waveforms like always. What software level are you at? Which file format does it save scope captures at?

The first thing I did this Sunday morning was load up my wave form simulator and test the Triton and to my relief it works properly and saves negative to positive sinewaves....I might start a thread on this soon just because It really is a terrible flaw especially when you consider the cost of these tools and their subscription fees...

Feel free to start a thread if you like! I've started a thread on iATN that went nowhere. I also spoke to a Snap-On rep directly about the issue, but nothing ever came of it.

It is a pretty terrible bug. BUT, I think they get away with not fixing it because the vast majority of users don't save their waveforms, or ever go back to review them.

More
2 years 5 months ago #52657 by wowcoop
Hey Tyler it is super gratifying to talk to someone who has had the same experience as I have with the issue... When I talked to snap on about it they sounded "like dogs watchin TV"......... TOTALY CLUE-LESS!!...... I had to send them pictures of my good screen shot and then chopped off recording, I even explained how to duplicate it with the snap-on demo board, and that was before 21.4 came out..... SO I will definitely start a thread about this...

and sorry for being windy,, to finally answer your Question I just traded in my Modis running 21.4 which had the issue for a brand new Triton D10 at 21.4 ( been drinking a whole lot of the snap-on cool-aid) ... and the Triton works properly, which has me terrified that it is not a software issue but something I did with the scope!!! I don' t want to find out the issue happens because i'm scoping secondary ignition or something.......Honestly I think that the D10 has different hardware than the Modis and the Triton D8 but who knows what's wrong till its fixed right?

More
2 years 5 months ago #52658 by Tyler

to finally answer your Question I just traded in my Modis running 21.4 which had the issue for a brand new Triton D10 at 21.4 ( been drinking a whole lot of the snap-on cool-aid) ... and the Triton works properly, which has me terrified that it is not a software issue but something I did with the scope!!!

Interesting! :ohmy: I'm at 21.4 as well, so I have no idea why one is doing it and not another. I wonder if it's a function of a setting in the device itself?

Would you be willing to take some screenshots of your Triton settings to compare to mine?

More
2 years 5 months ago - 2 years 5 months ago #52659 by wowcoop
Of course let me know what settings you want, and just to be clear you have a triton D10 correct? My D10 saves scope captures as .LSM files.. Is that what you were talking about in terms of save format?
Last edit: 2 years 5 months ago by wowcoop. Reason: additional info

More
2 years 5 months ago #52661 by Tyler

Of course let me know what settings you want, and just to be clear you have a triton D10 correct?

Ah no, never mind. :blush: :lol: I've got the D8. I just saw 'Triton' and got excited.

My D10 saves scope captures as .LSM files.. Is that what you were talking about in terms of save format?

Yep, and that's interesting. From what I understood, it was the shift from .VSM (which worked correctly but took forever to save) to .LSM (which clips captures but saves faster) that was part of the problem. But, your D10 uses .LSM files and doesn't clip anything. :blink: Now I gotta figure the problem is exclusive to the Ultra/Edge/D8 platform. D10 and the Verus/Zeus don't seem to have this problem.

More
2 years 5 months ago #52662 by wowcoop
Hope that is correct, I am terrified that scoping ignition with a Penny or any non snap-on ignition test lead that pre grounds the shielding ahead of the scope could in some way mess up the board, I know that make absolutely no sense but I never noticed the issue on my Vantage until I started playing around with Primary and secondary ignition wave forms (probably because before that I never had a negative signal to look at either)...... Which are kind of why we all start scoping in the first place right.... Oh I'll figure out that Misfire! ZAP!!.......... Any how I'll start that posting tonight, and I'm hoping I can rely on you for help in figuring this out, Since My D10 doesn't do it any more.....Fingers Crossed...

More
2 years 5 months ago - 2 years 5 months ago #52682 by Tyler

Hope that is correct, I am terrified that scoping ignition with a Penny or any non snap-on ignition test lead that pre grounds the shielding ahead of the scope could in some way mess up the board, I know that make absolutely no sense but I never noticed the issue on my Vantage until I started playing around with Primary and secondary ignition wave forms (probably because before that I never had a negative signal to look at either)...... Which are kind of why we all start scoping in the first place right.... Oh I'll figure out that Misfire! ZAP!!.......... Any how I'll start that posting tonight, and I'm hoping I can rely on you for help in figuring this out, Since My D10 doesn't do it any more.....Fingers Crossed...

Nah, I wouldn't worry about secondary testing. I've (inadvertently) sent full secondary voltage into my Triton D8 and Modis Ultra. All it took was power cycle and everything was back to normal. :cheer: Despite all the software faults we might find, the hardware is pretty stout.
Last edit: 2 years 5 months ago by Tyler.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wowcoop

More
2 years 5 months ago #52684 by wowcoop
thankyou for that I get so nervous when I'm probing injectors and primary coils, on the secondary's there always COP, 9 times out of ten, so I'm thinking it would be pretty hard to get an ignition spike from them...
Really love the D10, but it freaks me out because its like the third most expensive thing I own, and THATS CRAZY!!! Dreading my next subscription fee.....

Time to create page: 0.228 seconds