New to Scopes need some guidance

More
4 years 8 months ago #32866 by Tsavory
OK I just bought the Hantak 1008c (I know its cheap crap but better than nothing. $300 with both Low and High AMP clamps a DMM ).
I open it up and its got a bunch of connectors.
HT-201 (20x1 attenuator) ,which BTW will only connect to the amp clamps.
2 pp-80 probes with 10x and 1x switch on them
HT-25 spark cable ( not sure what its called)
the BNC to DMM adapte.
8 2wire BNC cables

OK so just from opening the package I have a few question.
First Is it right that the attenuator only fits the AMP clamps?
Second do the probes with the 10x and 1x switch mean they have an attenuator built in.
Third if yes how reliable would those be. I am sure someone has seen and used them before.

Now on to the software part I have a 64bit system so of course the drivers for the Hantek was a pain to get working.(finally did though)
I went to do a "simple" amp flow test to get the hang of the software. I got nothing can't get the amp clamp to show a dang thing I used the cc-650 around the Main battery cable set on the 1mv/1A setting and the attenuator and the Compression setting in the software. Clues to where I went wrong?

Anyone know of different software one could use with the device? It stands to reason since its an input for the software other software should be able to read it.
I want to do a ignition test tomorrow and I know on those one should use an attenuator But how can I since the one I have only fits the AMP clamps?

Now on to rewatch some ScannerDanner videos maybe now that I have the tool in front of me it"ll sink in to the thick skull.

Thanks To all that reply.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago - 4 years 8 months ago #32873 by Andy.MacFadyen
Amp clamps connect direct to a scope or meter, they only put out a few volts so no attenuator.

I don't know what ignition probe you have but all the ones I have seen are BNC co-axial connectors that will connect direcently to the Hantek, Ignition secondary probes act as a 10,000:1 but this is taken care of by he software pre-sets . Normally the Hantek 1008 models are supplied with an HT25 Distributer Ignitiom Plug Wire probe that has a BNC connector that plugs straight into the scope.

If you are going to be working with mixed type of connecting leads half an hour on Ebay or Amazon should get you all the connectors an adapters you need for very little money. Also a couple of BNC extensions leads are worth buying.

What you will need the x20 attenuator for is looking at ignition primary voltage (low tension side of the coil) where you connet to the control wire on the coil.

Check you have the latest version of the Hantek software, there is an updated version for the 1008 on the Hantek website that has slighly better controls and the invert waveform function actually works. However the Hantek site download area seems to issues finding this file.
This thread is on the latest version of the software it is slighly less fiddly to use.

Hantek Software Update Thread

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Last edit: 4 years 8 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.

More
4 years 8 months ago #32875 by Andy.MacFadyen
I should also added that although the supplied standard oscilloscope probes have built in switchable attenuators it is probably best not to depend on these for automotive work --- too easy to make a mistake,

The following user(s) said Thank You: Tsavory

More
4 years 8 months ago #32878 by Andy.MacFadyen

More
4 years 8 months ago #32899 by Tsavory
thank you for your insight upon watching and reading more I seen my mistake and it was connecting the 20:1 duh I should have known without any digging just one of those what was I thinking moments. It just had the HT25 nothing that can handle primary ignition.

I defiantly need to to get some BNC to banana adapters I was thinking it the 10x on the probes worked well I would set one to use it and then mark and tape it off so it could not be changed and not mixed up with any other one. and tape the switch on the other one as well. Less likely to mess up. LOL
BNC extensions will be a must for sure.

I had downloaded the software directly from there I don't trust any software disks from third party. Just to many years in PC repair and building to do that. just like I wont buy no name brand USB drives or SSD's

I hate auto mechanics but I love this kind of stuff life took a turn and here I am working on cars, trucks, semis, Boats, Heavy Equipment, and basically anything that has a motor so I figured since its where I am at this point better make the best of it so here we go. I bought this cheapo system just to learn and make my mistakes. I'll have a Pico before to long.

One thing I am catching myself doing way to much is overthinking problems. They are way to often the simple things. I found myself trying to track down why I was only getting 1.4V on a trailer brake system for 2 hrs checking grounds and the wire every 3 foot looking for a pinhole and the corroded wire only to find the simplest cause. when they bumped their knee into the box the button had hit the dash and turned down the box. Wow did I feel dumb
Anyways again thank you for the reply and your insight. and please forgive my going ons I work 7 days a week so hardly talk or see anyone outside of work.

BTW love your posts and insights on many of these threads. thanks for your contributions across the board.

More
4 years 8 months ago #32900 by Tsavory
Is there a probe you suggest for testing Primary ignition.
Also is it not smart to use a attenuator on injectors as well? I know they can cause a voltage spike pretty high.

More
4 years 8 months ago - 4 years 8 months ago #32903 by Andy.MacFadyen
The pre-sets in the Hanatek 1008 program actually show which probe to use if you are using one of the pre-sets the program won't let you change the probe attenuation. Hantek pre-sets automatically select a 20:1 attenuator for both injectors and coil primaries and won't let you change the setting.

One thing the Hantek lacks is an AC setting it shows DC. The showing only AC is useful for cranking compression tests and alternator ripple tests. You can make an DC blocker by making a lead up with a capacitor in series the posative lead going to the scope
The blocking capictor prevents any DC reaching the scope so only the AC ripple shows and you can adjust the on screen volts scale to give a moe detailed view.

Two automotive oscilloscope manufacturers Pico and Ditex have a great deal of information on their websites, Pico guided tests autoditex.com/ are a really great source of information and so is Auto Ditex autoditex.com/
The Ditex Carscope demo program is a good program to download and run, the demo version runs slowly but shows very clearly what probe to use and has a great help secion. Unlike Hantek Ditex are putting a great deal into developing their automotive diagnostic range.
autoditex.com/page/common-rail-injector--piezo-crip-26-1.html

Last edit: 4 years 8 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.

More
4 years 8 months ago #32907 by Andy.MacFadyen
The capacitor was a small poly polyester film capacitor I used a 400v voltage rated type. I cant recall capacitance probably 0,47uf but I am pretty sure smaller would work

Attachments:

More
4 years 8 months ago #32936 by Tsavory
Again Thanks Andy I Just spent like 3 hrs reading on different stuff from Autoditex they have a massive amount of good info. Also that for the tip on the film capacitor I just ordered a kit I needed some for a non Auto issue anyways plus some resistors.
Wanted to play a bit today but Boss had other Ideas ended up playing carpenter instead.

I'll try to get some play time in tomorrow will check in if I have any questions.
thank you for your patience.

Time to create page: 0.223 seconds