Hantek DSO3064 / 6074BE Scopes

More
6 years 2 months ago #18155 by graywave
Thanks everyone for posting your experience. I totally forgot I made this post.

SailorBob your videos helped a lot. I can only imagine the DSO 3064 will act the same. Now I'm thinking of moving away from Hantek and trying to PICO some how. I hate fighting with my equipment. I use a Snapon Modis right now and comparing my experience with the modis to your videos have the hantek, I would rather use a Modis. Thats pretty bad. Disappointed in Hantek. The Modis has been fine minus the not so bright screen and the screen resolution.

If anyone has more experience or find out more faults / fixes / work arounds for these Hantek scopes please post.

@Andy. I don't have the experience with either Pico or Hantek but Pico is a top notch scope. Certainly worth the money. Hantek seems to have its faults and not sure if its worth the aggravation. You can also go ebay and find an older snap on verus or verus pro or even a modis which will all work just fine. I have used the scope on a Verus pro and the scope on the modis and both work really really nice. I might lean toward a verus again for a scope if I can afford the pico.

Confirm what it's not, and fix what it is!
The following user(s) said Thank You: qwefdref

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 months ago #18232 by juergen.scholl

graywave wrote: . The Modis has been fine minus the not so bright screen and the screen resolution.

As you probably know the MODIS features a VGA out you can input to an external monitor. This is an excellent way to overcome the display deficiency of the MODIS, as long as you are stationary.

A really great scope for the automotive imo is the USB AUTOSCOPE, a fine 8 channel scope, with integrated ignition scope, pressure transducers and very helpful task-specific scripts. This scope is reasonably prized, esp. when regardi g the transducers the lackage comes with. For some reason or another it doesn't get the attention it deserves.

Here's a link to the producer's homepage, and yes you can buy it in the U.S. directly.

autoscope.eu/home/

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.

More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #18633 by SailorBob
So my Hantek 6074BE arrived in the mail yesterday and I started testing it and I was underwhelmed. I'm going to see if I can return it. Basically, either it's defective, knocked around too much in shipping, or maybe I was expecting way too much.

What I'm seeing with it is that the signals are very noisy, even with the 20Mhz bandwidth limiting turned on, and the noise makes using the min / max functions on things like O2 sensors useless. I was also unable to get a stable injector waveform, although I got stable ( but messy ) ignition waveforms.

I'm not really sure if this is just due to the higher analogue bandwidth, or if the scope is defective. Also, the waveform recording / playback doesn't seem to work. So far the only thing better about this than the 1008c is the AC coupling, which the 1008c doesn't have. From my testing I can't see any practical advantage so far, except that maybe I could test 4 fat signals at once, which the 1008 doesn't have the sampling rate for. And it might not accept EM interference as easily as the 1008 since the channels are supposed to be isolated, but I didn't test that.

Here's a short playlist of what I found: www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5ZkAEzEb...Wo6N0mmDpB7nBGmWbK0i

Any observations or comments would be welcome.
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by SailorBob.

More
6 years 1 month ago #18638 by 217oldtimer
Bob, I decided I couldn't live with the 6074 and returned it about a month ago. I since bought a Pico 2204a. I'm still learning but I plan on sticking with this scope until I need something more powerful. Thanks for your help on the Hantek. Mike

More
6 years 1 month ago #18648 by SailorBob
You're welcome! I'm sure everyone on this thread ( myself included ) would love to here some updates about how you find working with the Pico 2204a once you've learned your way around with it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Petey

More
6 years 1 month ago #18649 by graywave
Can you reduce the sample rate of the scope? Almost looks like its over sampling the signal. The sample rate should be different than the bandwidth mhz settings.

More
6 years 1 month ago #18650 by graywave
Thanks Juergen.

Have you used the USB Autoscope? It looks interesting and price is not bad. I need to look further into it.

More
6 years 1 month ago #18653 by 217oldtimer
The first thing I learned is the Pico 2000 doesn't come loaded with all the probes the automotive scope has. So I needed to create custom probes for my HT-25 and both Hantek amp clamps. That was a problem until I found this video:
The following user(s) said Thank You: SailorBob, abdo111

More
6 years 1 month ago #18687 by SailorBob

graywave wrote: Can you reduce the sample rate of the scope? Almost looks like its over sampling the signal. The sample rate should be different than the bandwidth mhz settings.

The only thing it lets you control is the buffer length, between 4k and 64k for a single channel. If you look at the bottom right hand of the display you can see what I think is the sampling rate. It is automatically set based on the time base chosen; for example at 20ms/div it's 12.50KSa, at 1ms/div 250.00KSa, 500us/div 500.00KSa.

I tried setting the bandwidth limiting which is supposed to ignore anything above 20Mhz, and that helped a little, but not much. On the trigger selection it lists, "The user can turn on “HF Rejection” to eliminate trigger higher-frequency (20M above)", so I'll try that when I have a chance, but I doubt it'll make any difference.

This things is either damaged in shipping, defective or just junk, I'm not sure.

More
6 years 1 month ago #18703 by graywave
That sucks. How can they create a lab scope and software package without a way for manually adjusting the sample rate? Stupid. Maybe in "settings" if there is such an option somewhere for an option that "auto selects" sample rate or other variables? I have just been using the Modis and Verus Pro which also doesn't allow for manually selecting sample rate though it does have the peak detect to up the sample rate to a preset figure. I am not sure how much sampling is too much for a given time base.

SailorBob wrote:

graywave wrote: Can you reduce the sample rate of the scope? Almost looks like its over sampling the signal. The sample rate should be different than the bandwidth mhz settings.

The only thing it lets you control is the buffer length, between 4k and 64k for a single channel. If you look at the bottom right hand of the display you can see what I think is the sampling rate. It is automatically set based on the time base chosen; for example at 20ms/div it's 12.50KSa, at 1ms/div 250.00KSa, 500us/div 500.00KSa.

I tried setting the bandwidth limiting which is supposed to ignore anything above 20Mhz, and that helped a little, but not much. On the trigger selection it lists, "The user can turn on “HF Rejection” to eliminate trigger higher-frequency (20M above)", so I'll try that when I have a chance, but I doubt it'll make any difference.

This things is either damaged in shipping, defective or just junk, I'm not sure.

More
5 years 11 months ago #20903 by graywave
Ordered a 6074BE scope off ebay. I'm in a position where I needed one quick and can't get the pico yet. $215 plus I order a 20:1 attenuator and Fluke BNC to Banana adapters for my test leads / probes and amp clamp I currently have. I have a 1 channel scope that does not have a buffer so makes it hard to analyze after the fact. Move to a new job paying lots more money so i'm hoping in the near future took pick up a pico

I know there will be issues, maybe I can find some work around for some of the faults it has and help others with it too. I'll give you guys my little review after I use it this weekend on my fathers car.

More
5 years 11 months ago #20936 by SailorBob
Honestly, I didn't find the 6074BE from a day to day practical point of view to be any better than the 1008c, that's why I returned it. Hope you have good luck with it though.

More
5 years 10 months ago #21030 by graywave
Its not looking good for this scope.

I just tried getting secondary ignition waveforms 3 different ways and only 1 way was effective. Using the included secondary capacitive pickup the waveform shark fins some times and other times its a super noisy secondary waveform. I also tried an alligator clamp attached to the outside of the spark wire which works great on the Verus and the Modis, though not safe at all...this doesn't work on this hantek scope either. I get the same shark fin type of waveform. Grabbing primary voltage from the 2 wire coils on my car, I was able to get a nice clean secondary waveform.

I am not disappointed as much as I should be cause I know these scopes absolutely suck so my hopes were not high at all. I'll use it through the weekend, see if I can do any more with it.

More
5 years 10 months ago #21034 by SailorBob
Which one are you talking about, the 1008c or the 6974be? One issue is that they are susceptible to EMI so you need to position them away from the dizzy / coil and other wires as much as possible.

More
5 years 10 months ago #21495 by graywave
Hey Sailor,

Im curious about the 1008c. Have you scoped CAN signals with it? Also how many channels have you used at one time? I'm just curious if the 8ch scope bogs down when capturing multiple signals

More
5 years 10 months ago #21497 by SailorBob
I have not tried it with a CAN bus. I think I've used up to 4 channels at once. The thing is, that the way this scope works is that it streams all the captured data over USB, and the triggering is done in software on the computer side. The scopes internal buffer is 4k samples, and that is divided up between the active channels, and sample rate is determined by time / division. So what does that mean practically? In my experience, if I want to look at a crank and cam signal on a 200ms screen, no problem. If I turn on a third channel at that point the crank signal will go all wonky due to aliasing, since there isn't enough samples to go around. But drop the time base to say a 50ms screen, and the signals become clear again since you've got more samples per unit time at 50ms. So for example, on a 5ms screen I have no problem having primary, secondary and current ramp for an ignition signal on the screen at the same time.

Basically, it has it's limitations, but you can work around them. It could actually be a pretty great scope if it had decent software.

More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #26369 by Petey
I also just ordered the 6074BE. It is for home/personal use, with maybe the occasional helping a friend. I am also not expecting very much, but at the same time it is more than I've ever had. At 50+ I am trying to acquire some of the tools/equipment I always wanted, even if just to try. I will follow this (and other) threads closely. Also, watching Eric, Ivan and Danner's videos has been eye opening to say the least. Almost information overload!

Thanks all!
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by Petey.

More
5 years 3 months ago #26430 by SailorBob
Honestly, the software on the 6074BE is atrocious. I'd recommend sending it back and getting a Pico 2204A which is only $140.

More
5 years 2 months ago #26775 by abdo111
thank you for your comment on hantek 6074 and the video you uploaded.
please inquiries
1- does the software show the voltage and time scales ? i mean for example 10,20,40,...... like seen on picosope software.
2- i haven't used any oscilloscope yet, do you advice me to offer hantek 6074 , what about picosope 2000 series ?

i appreciate your help

More
5 years 2 months ago #26776 by abdo111
a Pico 2204A ؟ is it good? i think it is old version and i heard that it is not for automotive diagnosis but i don't why it is not .

Time to create page: 0.258 seconds