Bad Compression waveform

• Chad
  • Chad's Avatar Topic Author
  • I am not a parts changer.
More
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #15440 by Chad
2001 Saturn SL 1.9L Vin 8

I'm not posting this in the repair section because, I believe, I know the problem. I'm waiting for the "Go ahead", but I believe I am looking at a failed head gasket? I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Cylinders 1 and 2 look normal. Cylinders 3 and 4, both, look like this. This car runs, albeit a bit rough. Noticeable misfire. Short term fuel trim starts counting into the negatives. -1, -2, -3....all the way to...-35, -36, -37. When it reaches -37, it resets to zero. And begins counting, again. When it resets to zero, the misfires go away. The more negative the fuel trim goes, the misfires return and the rougher it runs.

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by Chad.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 5 months ago #15443 by Ben
Replied by Ben on topic Re:Bad Compression waveform
What are we looking at an in cylinder?

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

• Chad
More
6 years 5 months ago #15444 by Chad
Replied by Chad on topic Re:Bad Compression waveform
Yes. Engine running. In cylinder pressure.

More
6 years 5 months ago #15447 by EricGoodrich
Could I ask you to perform a cooling system pressure waveform inspection with a cylinder synch? I believe a blown headgasket will show itself as pressure pulses in the cooling system.

• Chad
More
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #15449 by Chad
Replied by Chad on topic Bad Compression waveform

EricGoodrich wrote: Could I ask you to perform a cooling system pressure waveform inspection with a cylinder synch? I believe a blown headgasket will show itself as pressure pulses in the cooling system.

I like the idea. I'll have to see if I can connect the pressure transducer to the cooling system pressurizer, somehow.

I will, also, do a combustion leak test using the color-changing fluid. I didn't bother to do the combustion leak test because of the pressure pulses in the intake stroke of the compression waveform. Seeing that makes me pretty sure the head needs to come off. I haven't ruled out valve problems, but with both, and only, cylinders 3 and 4 being affected, it makes me think there's a head gasket blow out between the two cylinders?

Also, during the leak-down test, I had 25% loss. Which, according to the gauge, is considered low. I can hear it leaking through the intake.

More
6 years 5 months ago #15456 by Ro-longo
Replied by Ro-longo on topic Bad Compression waveform

pole71 wrote:

EricGoodrich wrote: Could I ask you to perform a cooling system pressure waveform inspection with a cylinder synch? I believe a blown headgasket will show itself as pressure pulses in the cooling system.

I like the idea. I'll have to see if I can connect the pressure transducer to the cooling system pressurizer, somehow.

www.scannerdanner.com/forum/diagnostic-t...-detection.html#4040

I did the pressure test with a know bad head gasket failure and with a known good engine, it can be done, but you would have to keep the water pump from spinning and you will see the same type of signal with a known good engine with no blown head gasket. So I wouldn't think it a valid test. I only did it on one vehicle. I would like to do the test on more vehicles but it seems that I never the time.

"Silver bullets are for killing Werewolves, not fixing Cars." -Rob Longoria-

More
6 years 5 months ago #15461 by Andy.MacFadyen
It has been tried and found there are fairly big pressure pulses in the coolant on a known good, the cylinder liners flex on every stroke so the leak would have to be so bad it was throwing water out the header tank anyway. In any even not all head gasket leaks are between the cylinder and the coolant, many of the HGF I see on modern engines with open deck cylinder blocks are between the coolant and the oil system.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

The following user(s) said Thank You: Chad

More
6 years 5 months ago #15503 by EricGoodrich
Good to know.

What about a leakdown tester in each cylinder one at a time and a pressure transducer in the cooling system? I'd imagine it wouldn't take much of a leak to increase the pressure in the cooling system, especially if the cooling system were full of coolant.

• Chad
More
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #15509 by Chad

Andy.MacFadyen wrote: In any even not all head gasket leaks are between the cylinder and the coolant, many of the HGF I see on modern engines with open deck cylinder blocks are between the coolant and the oil system.

I am suspecting that it is NOT to coolant OR oil.

I think I am only leaking compression from/to adjacent cylinders? But, as I stated earlier, I have not ruled out a valve problem.

• Chad
More
6 years 5 months ago #15510 by Chad

Ro-longo wrote: I only did it on one vehicle. I would like to do the test on more vehicles but it seems that I never the time.

Do you have an "AFTER" to compare?

I am inclined to agree with Andy.

It has been tried and found there are fairly big pressure pulses in the coolant on a known good, the cylinder liners flex on every stroke

That makes a lot of sense. I believe, that is what we are seeing in this wave. It is nice and uniform. I would expect to see some irregularity.

Attachments:

More
6 years 5 months ago #15664 by Ro-longo
Replied by Ro-longo on topic Bad Compression waveform

pole71 wrote:

Ro-longo wrote: I only did it on one vehicle. I would like to do the test on more vehicles but it seems that I never the time.

Do you have an "AFTER" to compare?

I am inclined to agree with Andy.

It has been tried and found there are fairly big pressure pulses in the coolant on a known good, the cylinder liners flex on every stroke

That makes a lot of sense. I believe, that is what we are seeing in this wave. It is nice and uniform. I would expect to see some irregularity.

I did, but I forgot to save the waveform, I did see a similar pattern. If I was smart enough I would have tried to look at amplitude but I was in a rush and totally missed the opportunity.

"Silver bullets are for killing Werewolves, not fixing Cars." -Rob Longoria-

Time to create page: 0.222 seconds