A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Looking for first scanner

More
2 years 2 months ago #54616 by Oltronj
I am shopping around for my first real scanner. I have had some cheaper ones but want to step up to a professional grade one. I am a DIY guy, but do a lot of work for family and friends. I am lucky enough to have a pretty good budget for this and I am currently leaning towards the Autel Maxisys Ultra. It will do ten times what I know how to do, but that gives me room to learn. The $4500 price tag is definitely on the high end of what I want to spend, but if it's worth it then I am ok with it I guess. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 2 months ago #54619 by juergen.scholl
To assist with substantial, quality advice you may want to expand a little bit further on your specific diagnostic needs.....

Do you need/will take advantage of the oscilloscope function the AUTEL ULTRA offers, for example? Do you work on anything and everything, all makes, models and systems? If you do, then the ULTRA will be very useful, Tyler may comment on specific details as he seems to enjoy working with this tool because of its versatility.

If you primarily are interested in comprehensive scan tool diagnostics then there are more cost. effective solutions with a comparable/equivalent level to the one the ULTRA offers.

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.

More
2 years 2 months ago #54626 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Looking for first scanner
Hey Oltronj! If you want, here's a couple threads we've had related to the Autel Ultra:

www.scannerdanner.com/forum/diagnostic-t...the-scope.html#53011

www.scannerdanner.com/forum/lab-scope-di...elp-thank.html#53989

I bought mine about a year ago, and I've been very happy with it overall. :cheer: There have been some quirks to work out - getting code scans off the tool and to the printer, sharing waveforms, like that. Nothing that would deter me from buying it again, or suggesting it to others.

But, like Juergen said, it's not necessarily for everyone. Do you see yourself using the four-channel scope regularly, or do you see yourself growing into it? If not, the MS909 may be a better fit. Do you see yourself doing J2534 programming, or growing into that? If not, then maybe consider something like the 906 Pro:

www.aeswave.com/Autel-MaxiSYS-ms906-Pro-...c-Tablet-p10102.html

It offers 95% of the scan tool functionality of the MS909/919/Ultra without the J-box or scope. Honestly, if I were a serious DIY-er or up-and-coming technician, this is the tool I'd have my eye on.

Also, keep in mind (for the future) that updates for the Ultra are around $1500 per year. Please understand, I'm not trying to talk you out of an Ultra. ;) Just talking about your options.

More
2 years 2 months ago #54629 by Oltronj
Replied by Oltronj on topic Looking for first scanner
I work on about anything as far as make and models go. I want to learn how to use the scope and so far this place is the best teaching tool I have found.

Can the 4 channel scope that comes with the ultra be pur hated separately and used on the other scanners you listed?

The cost to update is something I was wondering about. That is a little steep but not completely out of line if I can use the tool to make some money on the side.

More
2 years 2 months ago #54630 by juergen.scholl
The scope that comes with the Ultra is unique to it. I have not seen it sold separately.
Nonetheless, there is another piece of equipment, the maxiscope mp 408. It sells for ~ 400USD

www.amazon.com/Autel-MaxiScope-MaxiVideo...TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

This scope has (slightly) different features, one being 100 volts maximum input limit whereas the Ultra scope allows for 200 volts without attenuation. The maxiscope will work with either a windows laptop or with a couple of other maxisys scanners, except the basic maxisys 906 version. The version Tyler links to should work with the mp 408. Make sure by asking the seller.

The link below lists a comparison of different Autel scanners and there characteristics.

www.autel.com/es/mk3/3217.jhtml

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.

More
2 years 2 months ago - 2 years 2 months ago #54698 by Andy.MacFadyen
I think you want to think hard if you really want the oscilloscope and scantool functions combined in one tool. The Ultra is an expensive very powerful tool but keeping the scantool and scope as seperate units gives more flexibility and more terms of capability for your money.
Autel and Launch do very capable pro level Scantools and you make your own choice of scope and number of channels from Pico Autootive, AutoDitex and many others

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Last edit: 2 years 2 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.

Time to create page: 0.189 seconds