A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Autel Ultra, Thoughts on this tool? Is it worth the price tag ? how is the scope

More
2 years 11 months ago #48864 by YOTA MDT
Hello, I'm about to purchase a new scanner as my solus pro is about played out, I'm a Toyota Master Diagnostic Tech so we have the Techstream O.E. stuff and Pico scope at work that I love although honestly the Pico doesn't get used very often. Thing is Toyota stuff is pretty bulletproof and being a flat rate production shop it isn't necessary very often. I do a lot of side work out of my home and me and a buddy I work with are about to rent a building to share for our side gigs and personal stuff Also is the process of getting a Used car Dealers License . Anyways the solus only goes to 2014 and really doesn't do very much as compared to the verus or the au??tel . So I am going to end up buying the Pico 4425 a at some point but would also be nice to have a 4 channel in the scan tool as well. I'm pretty confused where my dollars would be best spent. On this channel the the used Snappy looks great for about 3K less than the Ultra but I've seen other people say the Autel does a lot more, Still not sure about the China made stuff verses good old snappy. also the scope on the ultra seems a bit cheesy . Does the ultra have other features that dont come with the lower autel? any help would be appreciated

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #48879 by Tyler
I've been using the Ultra for about a month now. So far I've been happy with the purchase. Would buy again.

The scanner portion is very much like previous Autel offerings. Very similar offerings and performance. Like most other aftermarket scan tools, it has strengths and weaknesses. :lol: Autel has never worked perfectly with Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/Ram, but works very well on Honda and Nissan. Like that. The network topology feature is definitely cool, but hasn't come in all that handy yet.

The whole scope-the-DLC-without-a-breakout-box is the same. Very cool, but has yet to make me money. Oh well, I'm sure it'll have its day. The CAN decoding also works, but only on some networks. Works on my '15 Equinox, but not on the '13 Sentra. Not a deal breaker.

For me, the game changer has been the scope. Specifically the wireless feature. For example, I was scoping a Nissan Armada heater control valve:

Set up this way, I can sit behind the wheel while running the HVAC controls, WHILE watching the scope. B) No getting the capture going, then having to recapture it because you had a setting wrong. No flagging down another tech to run the HVAC controls while you're watching the scope. It's the same with other tests - relative compression, in-cylinder, head gasket checks. If you're rolling solo, or a helper is busy making money, this could be hugely valuable. It's still no Pico replacement, but it's darn close. ;)

I only wish the Ultra kit came with low and high amp probes? I know there's an add-on kit, but I'd still go with Pico or AESWave offerings instead. The included screen protector was garbage. :( Replaced it with an AESWave protector quickly.

The MaxiFlash MVCI is... huge. :lol: Just like the scanner itself. Takes up a lot of floorboard space if you're trying to take this rig on a test drive. Used it to flash two GM products with no issue.
Last edit: 2 years 11 months ago by Tyler.

More
2 years 11 months ago #48918 by YOTA MDT
Thank you Tyler for the reply, Guess I'm going to go ahead and pull the trigger and order the ultra as I really cant justify the price of a Zeus and the Verus cant be updated in the future according to my snappy dealer. My biggest concern was weather the scope on the ultra was even very decent to justify the price jump over like say a MS 908 SP since I'm planning on adding the Pico to my collection. Seems like you like it well enough that's good enough for me.Plus I do like the topology and intelligent diagnostic features at face value. Yeah bummer about no amp probes and since I'll be going with the Pico 4425a that uses scope powered probes guess I will have to purchase separate amp probes for the ultra. Pandora's box! What probes are you using? I'm trying to keep the cost of those down since I will have the Pico soon for more detailed pattern abilities.

More
2 years 11 months ago #48925 by Tyler

YOTA MDT wrote: Thank you Tyler for the reply, Guess I'm going to go ahead and pull the trigger and order the ultra as I really cant justify the price of a Zeus and the Verus cant be updated in the future according to my snappy dealer.

Let us know how it works for you! For whatever it's worth, my coworker has a Zeus and an Autel IM608. He's happy with both, given their respective strengths. The Zeus is still a very capable tool, IMO.

My biggest concern was weather the scope on the ultra was even very decent to justify the price jump over like say a MS 908 SP since I'm planning on adding the Pico to my collection. Seems like you like it well enough that's good enough for me.

It's a pretty substantial price jump. :lol: BUT I really like the convenience of the Ultra over the Pico for daily scope tasks. The Pico will always have a place in my arsenal, and will still get me answers that the Autel cannot.

Yeah bummer about no amp probes and since I'll be going with the Pico 4425a that uses scope powered probes guess I will have to purchase separate amp probes for the ultra. Pandora's box! What probes are you using? I'm trying to keep the cost of those down since I will have the Pico soon for more detailed pattern abilities.

I've been using the TA018 and TA019 that came with the Pico kit. Works perfectly. I ordered separate clamps from AESWave for the Autel, so the Pico clamps can go back in the cart.

More
2 years 11 months ago #48930 by YOTA MDT
Well I did it! Just ordered the ultra, screen protector and AES WAVE u-test kit!... I'm about as excited as the day my Dad got me my first motorcycle. That was a long time ago! So pleased that I found you guys and AES WAVE. I guess from what I've heard it's important to purchase your Autel stuff from an American source, Looks like AES will be my go-to company. Thanks again Tyler, I'll keep you all updated

More
2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #48946 by Tyler

YOTA MDT wrote: Well I did it! Just ordered the ultra, screen protector and AES WAVE u-test kit!...

Congratulations! :cheer: I love the uTest kit as well. The Ultra kit does come with breakout leads, BUT they're similar to the Snap-On set, in that the male and female terminals are integrated into one test lead. They work, but not nearly as well as the uTest kit, IMO.
Last edit: 2 years 11 months ago by Tyler.

More
2 years 4 months ago #53011 by bizz2222
Hi I see you said you purchased the USA ultra is there really a difference where it is purchased? That's what I'm trying to figure out most scan tools you can change the languages so I guess what would be the difference where it was purchased I just can't seam to get that answer.

Time to create page: 0.205 seconds