A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Re:Which cylinder is blown?

More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #43756 by Chad
Replied by Chad on topic Which cylinder is blown?

Tyler wrote: Which cylinder is blown?

I am going to go with Cylinder #5.

It's an expansion tank system, too, which (in my opinion) adds a delay between TDC on the blown cylinder and a pressure pulse at the tank.

I could be wrong, and it will be interesting to find out, but I don't think there will be a significant delay. :unsure: Liquids do not compress.

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Chad.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 6 months ago #43757 by Matt T
Replied by Matt T on topic Which cylinder is blown?

Tyler wrote: I guess the running test would also depend on if the suspect cylinder is blown badly enough that it'll leak under running compression pressures, or if it'll only leak under combustion pressures...

What I'm thinking is the combustion pressure should be significantly higher than the running compression pressure. So killing spark to the leaking cylinder might cause a noticeable reduction in the pressure spike.

More
3 years 6 months ago #43759 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Which cylinder is blown?

Chad wrote: I could be wrong, and it will be interesting to find out

Yeah, about that... The truck is gone. :blush: Before taking stuff apart, we called the customer and they pulled the plug. I'm told it went something like this:

SA: "Hey Mr. Owner! So we found that you have a blown head gasket on your Ford..."

Mr. Owner: "Stop. I ain't fixin' it."

Sorry, we'll never know. :silly: I mostly wanted to put this to the group because I've never found a blown head gasket on a V8 using this method before.

My instinct was to start looking at when the pressure started increasing from its lowest point, which would make the suspect #2. :huh: But I definitely see the sharp increase that goes along with #5.

...but I don't think there will be a significant delay. :unsure: Liquids do not compress.

Maybe not? I was thinking more about the air in the top of the expansion tank. It my head, it would act like a buffer. But I'm not a physicist. :P

More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #43761 by Chad
Replied by Chad on topic Which cylinder is blown?

Tyler wrote: My instinct was to start looking at when the pressure started increasing from its lowest point, which would make the suspect #2. :huh:

With an Absolute Pressure Transducer, this would be the case.

But I definitely see the sharp increase that goes along with #5.

Delta sensors have waning oscillations. So, in this case, the lowest point is, actually, the rebound of the pressure spike. You need to look for an...unnatural?...change in the pattern, indicating pressure change. That is how I look at them, anyway. It has served me, well, so far. ;)

More
3 years 6 months ago #43788 by Tutti57
Replied by Tutti57 on topic Re:Which cylinder is blown?
Maybe try pinching off the hose to the expansion tank to see if it makes a difference? That may tell if it is another variable to consider or not.

Nissan Technician

More
3 years 6 months ago #44070 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Re:Which cylinder is blown?
Let's play the game again! :lol: A different Ford 5.4L with another blown head gasket. '03 F-250. Have Modular engines always been known for head gaskets? :huh: 'Cause I haven't seen one before, then I see two in a month...

Zoomed out. Sync on #5. 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8:

Zoomed in:

If we look for the upswing in the pressure sensor relative to spark timing, it sure seems like #3 is our prime suspect. BUT, the monkey learned from last time. ;) I checked Mode $06, TID $53:

As usual, I've done no disassembly, so I don't know which cylinder is blown. But the PCM sure thinks #1 has a problem. :unsure:

Unlike last time, this truck is getting an engine, so I'll be able to do some inspection on the old engine when I get it out.

More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #44076 by Chad
Replied by Chad on topic Re:Which cylinder is blown?
:blink: This one is not so clear but, I'll venture a guess. The sharpest pressure change does coincided with the beginning of cylinder #1 compression stroke. This agrees with mode $06. But, the pressure increase, also, coincides with the second half of cylinder #8 compression stroke. It seems to me that if it were cylinder #1 the pressure increase would increase all the way to TDC but, it doesn't. It takes a little dive before TDC. And, then, looks like it gets another contribution from cylinder #3. :woohoo: I don't feel real confident in this guess but, :dry: I'll go with Cylinder #8 B)

Is this a cranking waveform?

What happened at the end?

More
3 years 6 months ago #44077 by Chad
It, also, seems to me that the pressure increase begins too early in the #1 compression stroke. Pressure doesn't start to build in the cylinder until the intake valve closes. As a rule of thumb, this happens around 30°-50° after BDC. This pressure rise starts at about 17° after cylinder #1 BDC.

More
3 years 6 months ago #44078 by Tyler

Chad wrote: Is this a cranking waveform?

What happened at the end?

NONEYA BUSINESS, THAT'S WHAT HAPPENED.

Kidding! :silly: It was indeed a cranking capture. Here's another shot of the end of the capture:

I hadn't really noticed the extra tall pressure pulse until you pointed it out... :huh: Any theories?

More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #44079 by Chad

Tyler wrote: Any theories?

Final stroke stopped TDC? Instead of traveling back down and decompressing?

More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #44080 by Tyler

Chad wrote: Final stroke stopped TDC? Instead of traveling back down and decompressing?

That's what I was thinking about. Plus, the water pump stopped turning, which I'm guessing has some kind of impact on the waveform.

When I get the blown engine out, I'll pull plugs. B)
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Tyler.

More
3 years 6 months ago #44083 by Matt T
Replied by Matt T on topic Re:Which cylinder is blown?

Tyler wrote: I hadn't really noticed the extra tall pressure pulse until you pointed it out... :huh: Any theories?

That pulse portion of the trace appears to show two ignition events after the last #5 sync. It looks like you did stop the engine around TDC #8 which is the cylinder Chad thinks is bad.

Tip for telling whether you're looking at a cranking or running trace. 600 rpm is 100mS per rev or 200mS between 720* syncs. So anything 200mS or less is running. This trace is 600mS between syncs which is a healthy 200 rpm crank ;)

The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah, Chad

More
3 years 6 months ago #44093 by Tyler

Matt T wrote: This trace is 600mS between syncs which is a healthy 200 rpm crank ;)

That's about the only thing this engine did very well. :silly:

More
3 years 5 months ago #44339 by Tyler
Update! The F-250 engine came out this week. For reference, this is the waveform I started out with. Firing order 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8, sync on #5:

So which cylinder was actually blown? That'd be... #4. :huh: I had to check all cylinders several times to be sure. #4 had coolant pooled up on the piston. All other cylinders appeared normal.

If I was a betting man, I'd have lost on this one. :silly: #4 was not on my radar. But maybe it should have been? This is the overlay Chad was kind enough to provide:

Marked up this way, it kinda makes sense! #4 goes all the way to TDC compression, then there's a slight delay until the pressure rises in the cooling system. Not a long delay, 17 crank degrees, but it's there. I'm sure the severity of the leak and the cooling system size has something to do with that.

Definitely learned something here. :cheer: Stay tuned - the first 5.4L waveform I posted (from an '02 F-150) bought an engine, too. I'll be following up with that one when it gets pulled.

More
3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago #44341 by Chad

Tyler wrote: If I was a betting man, I'd have lost on this one. :silly: #4 was not on my radar. But maybe it should have been?

I lost, too. :( But, we all learned from this one. :)

#4 goes all the way to TDC compression, then there's a slight delay until the pressure rises in the cooling system. Not a long delay, 17 crank degrees, but it's there. I'm sure the severity of the leak and the cooling system size has something to do with that.

Something else to consider is that the sync is an Ignition event, which happens X­° before TDC. The piston chart overlay is positioned by an assumed TDC. It may by off by Y°.

Definitely learned something here. :cheer: Stay tuned - the first 5.4L waveform I posted (from an '02 F-150) bought an engine, too. I'll be following up with that one when it gets pulled.

Awesome! I'm eager to see the outcome. B)

Last edit: 3 years 5 months ago by Chad.

More
3 years 5 months ago #44402 by Tyler
The engine came out of the '02 today. For anyone following along, these were the initial captures. 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8, sync on #5.

And the leaking cylinder on this 5.4L is....

#5!

Which means, Chad won! :cheer: Called it from a mile away:

I guess the takeaway from these blown V8's is that you CAN call the blown cylinder, it just takes a keen eye. ;) For whatever it's worth to those following along, replacing cylinder heads or gaskets was not an option on either engine, IMO. Both had close to 200K miles, and both had been overheated repeatedly. It didn't really matter which cylinder was blown in either case - engine replacement was the answer.

More
3 years 5 months ago #44405 by Chad

Tyler wrote: Which means, Chad won! :cheer: Called it from a mile away:

B)

More
3 years 5 months ago #44460 by juergen.scholl
Thanks for the update!

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.

Time to create page: 0.290 seconds