A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Looking for some multimeter suggestions

More
7 years 6 months ago #3173 by Tyler
I've gotten by pretty well with the Modis and a digital test light , but there have been some times that I wanted a resistance measurement, but didn't want to break the Modis out to get it.

I've had cheap Innova meters before, and always had trouble trusting their readings (especially when compared to better meters). Fluke is king, obviously, but I'm not ready to drop $300+ on a Fluke 87/88. Looking for some good mid-range recommendations.

Had my eye on a few different ones. Anyone with experience, please chime in, or let me know what your go-to meter is!

www.aeswave.com/582-Deluxe-DMM-w-Amp-Shutters-p9340.html
Seems a bit like training wheels, but I've still popped meter fuses this way :blush:

www.aeswave.com/CAT-IV-Digital-Multimete...wer-Probe-p9318.html
Mostly for the backlit display B)

www.aeswave.com/Fluke-115-Field-Service-...ultimeter-p8831.html
Fluke yellow, reasonable price tag.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
7 years 6 months ago #3177 by Noah
Love my old Vantage for a go to multimeter.
I've got one for parts too. I know my dealer has a couple in his garage if you want me to pick one up for you.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #3181 by Andy.MacFadyen
I have been using an Owon B35T for about a year it has some nice features -- 20 amp easy change fuse, big screen with backlight, it uses only 2 x 1.5 volt batteries, K-Type thermocouple, also the added feature of linking by BlueTooth to mobile devices.

www.amazon.com/Digital-Multimeter-Temper...-2&keywords=owon+b35

www.jdhlabstech.com/jdhshop/en/instruments/104-bt35.html

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.

• Noah
More
7 years 6 months ago #3183 by Noah

Andy.MacFadyen wrote: I have been using an Owon B35T for about a year it has some nice features -- 20 amp easy change fuse, big screen with backlight, it uses only 2 x 1.5 volt batteries, K-Type thermocouple, also the added feature of linking by BlueTooth to mobile devices.

That's cool! Can you graph voltage over the blue tooth connection?

More
7 years 6 months ago #3186 by Andy.MacFadyen
Yes but the BT it is quite slow but is handy for check what is happening at say a fuel pump or rear light from the driving seat.
I tested it against my other meters and my precision voltage refrence and it seems pretty accurate there are a few reviews of it out on the web all agree it is pretty accurate on all scales although they have reservations about the high voltage protection but that is of no concern for car work.

More
7 years 6 months ago #3188 by Tyler

Noah wrote: Love my old Vantage for a go to multimeter.
I've got one for parts too. I know my dealer has a couple in his garage if you want me to pick one up for you.

Crap, I keep forgetting that the shop has a Vantage! Spends its life sitting on a shelf next to the oil filters... I'll get it out Monday and see if the battery is still good.

I have been using an Owon B35T for about a year it has some nice features -- 20 amp easy change fuse, big screen with backlight, it uses only 2 x 1.5 volt batteries, K-Type thermocouple, also the added feature of linking by BlueTooth to mobile devices.

Ooooooh, now there's an idea B) I really like the idea of the Bluetooth connection for remote viewing, but not having to pay for something like the Fluke 233 . This is the kind of money I don't mind spending on tools, either :lol:

• Noah
More
7 years 6 months ago #3189 by Noah
Yeah, that Own seems like a great value

More
7 years 6 months ago #3193 by Tyler
Ordered one! If it sucks, I'm blaming Andy :evil:

More
7 years 6 months ago #3195 by Andy.MacFadyen
The Owon site has two different Android apps for the B35T --- the app has to match the serial number printed on the back of the meter.

• Chriscoy
  • Heavy duty truck technician / foreman/ parts guy/
More
7 years 6 months ago #3206 by Chriscoy
I just received a fluke 233 as a gift and I'm in freaking love with it. Working on semi trucks can be a challenge when a single wire can stretch 40+ feet.

This thing lets me set up and grab the display and go hunting.

Changing parts is easy, Troubleshooting is an art

More
7 years 6 months ago #3214 by Tyler

Chriscoy wrote: I just received a fluke 233 as a gift and I'm in freaking love with it. Working on semi trucks can be a challenge when a single wire can stretch 40+ feet.

This thing lets me set up and grab the display and go hunting.

Jealous! What kind of range does it have? Maybe I'll put one of those on my Christmas wish list...

I'm hoping this Owon meter will let me park something outside the shop and let me watch the readings while doing other stuff :cheer:

More
7 years 6 months ago #3225 by matt.white
Like facebook or SD forum?!

More
7 years 6 months ago #3226 by ecwurban
I got a Fluke 117 a few years back and couldn't ask for a better meter. It's the same as a Fluke 115 except it has a non contact volt alert function. Think one of those pens you stick near an electrical socket or other mains circuit to see if it's live. While that function isn't a huge deal it's kinda cool. The one that can be useful is their Auto-V LoZ function that the 117 has. Firstly it automatically detects whether it's AC or DC voltage and sets up the right scale. But more importantly it's a low impedance function to prevent ghost voltage readings. While the main DC function is 10mega ohms the LoZ is 3 kilo ohms. Low enough to not be affected by any ghost voltages but high enough to not damage anything on a car. About the only circuit that it would affect would be a bias voltage circuit.

I usually forget about this setting on my meter but it has come in handy before. One time I was testing a relay that wasn't activating. I tested the control side and the meter said I had a power on one side and ground on the other. I even hooked up jumper leads to the relay and with it in place still showed a power and a ground. My coworker then shoved his PowerProbe in there and it said both as one as ground and nothing for the power. It was a power side switched relay. So I was trying to figure out why my meter said there was 12volts there. I then remembered that setting and the 12v dropped away when i set to the low impedance setting. The best I can figure as to why that happened is some other circuit must have been back feeding a really weak open circuit 12volts into it..?

Either way, I love the fluke. It has everything you need and not much you don't. Buy it once and have for life. I just don't let anyone use it directly for current. The fuses are kinda expensive so amp clamps only for current measurements!

More
7 years 6 months ago #3247 by Dylan
Noah wrote:

I know my dealer has a couple in his garage if you want me to pick one up for you.

I would LOVE to have an old Vantage! Can't find that over here :(

More
7 years 6 months ago #3256 by Tyler

ecwurban wrote: But more importantly it's a low impedance function to prevent ghost voltage readings. While the main DC function is 10mega ohms the LoZ is 3 kilo ohms. Low enough to not be affected by any ghost voltages but high enough to not damage anything on a car. About the only circuit that it would affect would be a bias voltage circuit.

Oh dude, I didn't even know it had that feature! I was looking at a 117 at the same time as the 115, but I totally missed the low impedance function. See, this is why I started this thread B) I knew you guys would enlighten me.

More
7 years 5 months ago #3492 by Tyler
Update, it arrived!

Bluetooth works as advertised so far, gonna do some experiments at work tomorrow B)
Attachments:

• Noah
More
7 years 5 months ago #3511 by Noah
I like the big backlit display

More
7 years 5 months ago #3520 by Tyler

Noah wrote: I like the big backlit display

Same B) I didn't know I needed a backlit display 'till I saw it :lol:

Thanks again to everyone that responded, much appreciated! You guys are the best.

More
7 years 5 months ago #3543 by Andy.MacFadyen
I did a test on mine against a precision voltage source the calibration is pretty good.
Source is calibrated at 5.00109 volts a meter reading of 4.993 volts is close enough for me.

Attachments:

• Noah
More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #5369 by Noah
So...
How's that meter holding up ;)

I was checking for a parasitic drain on a BMW the other day, and realized that I need a second meter.
I entertained the idea of hunting down another Vantage, but i'd like something a bit more modern and not so huge.
The Bluetooth function would have been nice at the time as well.
Have you used the app? It looks like you can plot voltage on a graph using the app?

Thanks in advance!

Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by Noah.

Time to create page: 0.249 seconds