A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Guide to Choosing a Scope on a Budget

More
5 years 1 month ago #27804 by Orchid70
Is there a second hand SnapOn market in Europe?
I guess I wouldnt have much use for a US SnapOn??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #27853 by Andy.MacFadyen
The non-automotive Pico software is different from automotive software, I have heard of a dll hack to work on the non-automotive scopes but this breaks the terms of the software licence.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by Andy.MacFadyen.

More
5 years 1 month ago #27855 by Orchid70
I have Pico 2206 and knowing nothing of scoping I guess I dont get much out of it - this is what the best result looks like for lambda sonds from a 2012 year natural gas Passat:

I only have two of the basic probes, like the one that follows with this scope.
When I tried to put the settings as prescribed in Automotive software - the results looked grazy....
Attachments:

More
5 years 1 month ago #27877 by Andy.MacFadyen
Are the sensors and cats warm ?What are the the O2 sensors showing in OBD II live data ?

More
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #27883 by Andy.MacFadyen
Leaving out the uScope and other hand helds and any available 2nd user Snap-On or Pico equipment. Also avoiding Hantek and rebranded Hantek (for example Sealey). It goes without saying where possible buy from a reputable source ---- for example AESwave

The Owon VDS1022i is a fairly decent 2 channel scope for the non-pro on a tight budget, the general purpose software is easy to use and it has over volt protection more suitable for automotive work than the 2000 series Pico.

The great strength of the Pico 2000 series is the Picoscope software, it is outstanding even in the non-automotive version, but as regards the hardware the 2000 series has lower voltage limits than the Owon. Also note the 2204A and 2205A are relatively slow scopes and also don't have vertical position adjustment and the price difference between the slower models in the 2000 range and the faster models in the range is huge.

The next step up is the AutoDitex range made in Bulgaria they make both USB virtual scopes and pad style scopes I don't know the price point in the USA but in Europe they are competitively priced for the small shop. AutoDitex have very good automotive software and are actively developing it. The developer Petyo Petkov is on Facebook and very supportive.

Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by Andy.MacFadyen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Orchid70

More
5 years 1 month ago #28007 by Orchid70

Andy.MacFadyen wrote: Are the sensors and cats warm ?What are the the O2 sensors showing in OBD II live data ?

Yes - both warm.
I didnt even think of the OBDII data (in VCDS) - but I have VCDS data for long and short term fuel trim. The long term adaptation is very high.

I have fault code P2177 lean at idle - no vacuum leaks. This comes as I have understood now - when the car adapts from one fuel to an other. At first I thought it only came when driven on petrol - but last time it came after putting natural gas in. She told me she drives the car like a thief - perhaps the adpatation between fuels is the culprit.
Also - I dont know if this has anything to with anything - the second lambda heater resistance is missing for long periods of time, during which time the "Hetaer Condition" turns on and off all the time.
Attachments:

More
5 years 4 weeks ago #28204 by dcarey
Hi Andy,

Excellent post! How about the Pico 2000?

Dave Carey
Cape Cod

More
5 years 1 week ago #28818 by Desmond6004
I'm in the process of looking for a good handheld scope for the workshop. We have a decent laptop scope but need something for the guys to take out into the yard or on out-jobs in their van for quick and easy operation.
I imagine there have been a few updates to handheld scopes since this (very useful) post was written.
I'm busy reading a review on the DS213 but there are so many option out there.
My main requirement besides reasonably easy operation are the ability to record and scroll through patterns and ideally the ability to zoom
in to a part of the pattern.

Getting involved in discussions because I have a lot to learn still.

More
4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #36082 by Masso
Hi, you still stand behind the Rigol, Martin?
I’m thinking of getting one based on your post.
I’m mainly going to use it to diagnose high/low Canbus waveforms to see if communication between modules in a car is faulty.
Simple hall sensor pulses, stuff like that.
Also ignition coils and comparative compression tests on start motor.
Would the 1054Z be enough you think?
I’m a hobbyist, but hobbling so long, I can run with the professional pack, only I don’t have customers to recoup tool costs.
It would be great to have an oscilloscope in my toolkit.
Thanks in advance & Merry Christmas! :)
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by Masso. Reason: Grammar shmammar

More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #36710 by stioc
Great suggestions here! However, unless I missed it I didn't see the SnapOn MODIS on the list of affordable 4 channel portable scopes. It's basically the big brother of the Vantage Pro and the older model to the Verus with all the guided component tests as well as a full scanner etc.

I purchased mine about 3 yrs ago on ebay, came with the 14.4 software. Then I pieced together all the components (battery, charger, test leads, diagnostic keys, OBDII cables etc). I think I have $750 into it but I see them for sale on ebay for around $500 time to time. What I really like about it is the 4-channels. Say you need a cam/crank correlation and you want a sync with the ignition coil or injector, you need a 4 channel scope. Or you want to see data from the two banks on a 6 or 8 cyl engine with a sync, you need a 4 channel scope. I've considered selling mine to move up to the 4 channel PICO Auto for a couple of features I'd like but as a DIYer I can't bring myself to swallow the price tag on those bad boys. I may trade up to a Verus though.

Unfortunately the screen on my MODIS is just starting to go dim/dark from years of use which still isn't too bad actually but for crystal clear pic I just connect it to the my 20in LCD or copy the files over to my PC and view them in the free ShopStream software.

Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by stioc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah, Andy.MacFadyen

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
4 years 3 months ago #36712 by Noah
The Modis is a good choice at the right price point.
That was my first scope as well

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
4 years 1 month ago #38724 by Dtech494

toyota1990s wrote: I was thinking about getting the Pico 2205 non automotive oscilloscope but then I noticed the Rigol DS1054z which I really like (but would have to save up for). I noticed that these scopes use "passive probes" and not the type of probes I am used to on my little Uscope.

Are passive probes ok to use for automotive testing? I'm assuming that the additional lead coming out of the passive probe is the ground wire which would take the place of the Uscope conventional black lead to ground?

Yes the passive probes do work. The main issue is that they are often too short.
For convenience you will likely find that you pick up a lead or even two with banana plugs some backprobe pins and some slip on aligator clips.
I suggest getting at least one 20:1 attenuator.

Yes the little small lead is a ground which I just use another jumper wire and attach to it.

More
4 years 1 month ago #38738 by Andy.MacFadyen
Passive probes are the standard probes you get with any Oscope with BNC sockets fine if you are working on high frequency equipment on the bench but they aren't required or much use for automotive work to the extent I would suggest they are a menace.

As already suggested by Noah if you have a BNC Oscope buy a couple of BNC to Bannana plug adpters or buy a couple BNC to crocodile test leads these are as cheap as chips. BNC extension leads are available or using BNC Female to Female Adapters you can use CVC TV cables as extension cables.

More
3 years 10 months ago #40650 by chisel
How about the adapters, probes etc specific to automotive use?
Simple to add them to the DS1054Z?

More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #40651 by Andy.MacFadyen
Any standard BNC accessory will work with any scope with a standard BNC connector or you can use a BNC to banana adaptor ---- nb not PicoBNC+ accessoroies which are powered from the PicoBNC+ port.
However most Labscopes do not have an x20 scale setting for 20:1 voltage attenuators often used for primary ignitions. This can be worked around by using either 100:1 attenuator or using the 20:1 attenuator and multuplying the voltage readings by 2.

BUT keep in mind bench labscopes (with the notable exception of Owon which have a battery pack option) are tied to a mains electricty supply and this can be very restrictive for automotive work. Rigol are a very respected brand for bench labscopes, if this is the route you want to go down what I would recommend trying to find out how good the PC software associated with the scope is as this is often a weak area on Chinese brands.

Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.

More
3 years 7 months ago #43374 by chuckw
I have been working a truck I picked up for a couple of months now. It is was a non-running 2000 Dodge Dakota Sport 4x4 with the 3.9L and automatic transmission. After many hours of work and diagnostics with my multimeter I have everything fix and it is running, not well, but running. It will “sometimes” sputter and backfire (exhaust) and stall, then other times it will start right up and run well. I think I hear a slight miss every now again, but once it is started it stays running and is drivable with no issues. The last code I have to track down is the infamous P1391. I have replaced the crank sensor with Mopar part and the cam sensor with aftermarket, Mopar no longer available. Yes I tested the sensors with my multimeter and determined the sensors were bad. Once I got the new sensors in I was able to see the 0 to 5 volt change on the crank sensor. Anyhow, I’m at the point where I need a scan tool to figure this out. Now I’m just a DIY’er and don’t want to spend $5000 or $1000 on a scan tool. I’m looking for a recommendation for say under $500. There are so many out there and you can find reviews, good and bad on all of them. I was looking at the Autel MX808 and wanted to get a professional opinion on this one or what you would recommend.

More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #43597 by wiseleo
Look for a steal on Snapon gear. Just got both non-Euro Solus Pro and Euro-unlocked Modis running 16.4 for $900 with multiple sets of personality keys. The Solus Pro will sell for most of that price, so my Modis is likely to be near-free :)

Anyway, Snapon gear is valued by its software. Units without Euro cars unlocked cost less. Units older than 15.2 cost a lot less. There is a specific problem that was patched related to Toyota on 17.4 and 18.2, but that will not affect this platform. You will not be able to update them though. 17.2 was the last software released for Vantage Pro/Solus Pro/Modis family. I don't remember if that is accurate. If you just want a scope, any version of Vantage Pro/Modis will do. They are great scopes and will only get cheaper. The beauty of them being Snapon is they are easy to resell when you are done troubleshooting whatever ails your car, if you have no further need for them.
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by wiseleo.

More
3 years 3 months ago #45798 by stevieturbo
Does anyone have any thoughts on this ?

Seems to have close links to the Ukranian USB Autoscope, but this seems a good bit cheaper, LAN based, and with 500v tolerant inputs.

Doesnt seem so easy to buy though....wish these places would do Paypal. On a price point though, it'd be a good starter ? and it seems to allow the use of the same diagnostic "scripts" the USB Autoscope offers.

rotkee.com/en/category/automotive-diagnostics

I have an 4ch Hantek and it is crap. Although the Autoditex Carscope Pro seems decent.

The LAN aspect appeals to me, as it's then make for easy WiFi, although perhaps it may have some limitations ?

More
3 years 3 months ago - 3 years 3 months ago #46038 by markhenry9069
Thanks for the your informative guide to choose a scope on my budget. I recommend RIGOL DS1102E oscilloscope for scientific work.
Last edit: 3 years 3 months ago by markhenry9069. Reason: word missing

More
3 years 2 months ago #46525 by stevieturbo

eric_generic wrote: I found two DSO from the East that anyone here might look into. Haven't tried them but they look solid and nice. Their forums has a lot of information but you have to use google translate. If only language is not a barrier.

USB Autoscope

USB Autoscope forum

Diamag

Diamag forum

Interesting on the Diamag, didn't notice that one before.

Looks very similar to the USB Autoscope and the Rotkee, both from same region. Pricing seems very good too. And they all run Andrey Shulgin's scripts for easy diagnosis and interpretation of testing.

Time to create page: 0.323 seconds