A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Guide to Choosing a Scope on a Budget

More
5 years 5 months ago #24829 by Desmond6004
I've done a bit of a search and found nothing obvious yet. I've been playing around with the Hantek 1008C for a few days at work, in between jobs - and can't find out where to actually see what the voltage is when I scope something. Even something as simple as battery voltage - I see the line moving but can't tell what the voltage is anywhere?

Getting involved in discussions because I have a lot to learn still.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 4 months ago #25144 by TimC
Hi Desmond6004

I don't think there is a way for it to automatically display live voltages and there's no option to have numbers on the horizontal and vertical scales.

I have the older version of the 1008C and so the older software (v 1.08) - if you've the newer one it might be slightly different.

I read through the manual this morning on this and if you use a cursor it will provide a live measurement in the status bar at the bottom of the screen.

- Using a 'trace' cursor (a single cursor) will display the waveform voltage at the point it crossed the cursor, both when live or when looking at a paused capture.

- 'Vertical' gives you two cursors and this will display the frequency and time between the cursors

- 'Horizontal' (again two cursors) will show the voltage difference between the cursors

- 'Cross' is a combination of vertical and horizontal but not trace.

Another option is to use the measurement tool - I mostly use that to analyse a paused capture. So for voltage it'll display max, min, peak to peak etc. There are loads of other ones too, all available in the 'measure' menu.

The manual for the newer version can be downloaded here (official site, its free) - www.hantek.com/Product/Hantek1008/Hantek1008_Manual.pdf .

I don't think it matters what version of the software you have, these functions are the same.

Hope this helps

More
5 years 4 months ago #25148 by Desmond6004

TimC wrote: I don't think there is a way for it to automatically display live voltages and there's no option to have numbers on the horizontal and vertical scales.

I have the older version of the 1008C and so the older software (v 1.08) - if you've the newer one it might be slightly different.

Thanks Tim, I wonder what the "openhantek" software is like because that's written as an alternative to the software - though it doesn't
look that simple to install.
Our work oscilloscope has a live voltage display that I have become accustomed to.

More
5 years 4 months ago #25150 by TimC
I hadn't heard of openhantek, looks like a better option.

Unfortunately it doesn't support the 1008c

" Supported devices: DSO2xxx Series, DSO52xx Series, 6022BE/BL "

They might develop that though.

More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #26928 by Dtech494
I agree with you about adding the Pico 2000 series.
I just bought one after discovering how configurable the probe settings are for different ones including my home made sensors and transducers.
The non automotive ones are still fantastic for automotive use (just they don't have the preset or guided automotive tests) But you can configure and save your own settings.
The Pico is amazing for being able to freeze your pattern then being able to zoom in and look closely at the wave.
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Dtech494.

More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #26932 by Dtech494
No I don't think "Launch is Hantek" . I cannot find evidence to prove is disprove.
Don't let that deter you from considering one of the Launch scan tools though.
But from what I have found from my tech peers is that any of the add on scopes for Launch or Autel or the Hantek scopes all
seem to have the similar problems with unsatisfactory performance plus freezing issues.

To those assuming that Hantek only has software issues, it has hardware limitations as well.
The 1008 is listed as obscelete on Hantek site and do not make drivers for windows 10.
The 1008 cannot ac couple and I could not find confirmation that the newer automotive variants can either.

Not intending to be negative about it. There are obviously users who make do with them.
They might be a good first step for someone new to scopes who have budget needs.
Getting your hands on a scope, trying and learning how to set and adjust it is an essential learning step.

Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Dtech494. Reason: Was a grammar error in last sentence plus wanted to put more objective, positive spin in closing paragraph

More
5 years 2 months ago #26933 by Dtech494
Hi,
The value in the Pico automotive or the Snap on series of products is the presets or guided tests make it faster and easier to use for the professional.
Plus they both have the ability to zoom in and examine recorded or captured wave forms.
Obviously Snap on is for portability and has lots of built in wiring or vehicle information plus has connectors or test hook up information.
All for a cost though.
The Pico has more options for probe configuration. I prefer its ability to capture and zoom in on the wave.
I also find the Pico easier to set up and trigger when using my home made sensors etc. (that is my own preferences).

If you are looking for a budget 4 channel($200us) Owon offers usb scope and I have the 60mhz one.
It has a good resolution and I find it easy enough to get a signal running on the screen.
It is however a virtual version of a bench scope. So it has sliders instead of knobs to adjust the settings and allows the probes
to be set in a manner like the bench scope.
It did a decent job of displaying a COP ignition probe and injector signals for me on a problem vehicle I was testing.
It allows to invert the signal as required for the COP ignition probe.
The software needs a specific work around to make the drivers work in Windows 10 though.

I also added the Pico 2004 series 2 channel scope to my arsenal.
I installed the software (to demo) and when I got the scope and connected it all worked instantly.
Considering it is a non automotive scope it is fantastic still.
I can make presets for my probes and save them.
Like I have mentioned the ability to save and zoom in on the wave is fantastic.
Plus the configurability and ability to save the probe settings is great because I can simply open it next time and
have the desired settings and measurements display for convenience.

More
5 years 2 months ago #26935 by Andy.MacFadyen

Dtech494 wrote: No I don't think "Launch is Hantek" . I cannot find evidence to prove is disprove.
Don't let that deter you from considering one of the Launch scan tools though.
But from what I have found from my tech peers is that any of the add on scopes for Launch or Autel or the Hantek scopes all
seem to have the similar problems with unsatisfactory performance plus freezing issues.

To those assuming that Hantek only has software issues, it has hardware limitations as well.
The 1008 is listed as obscelete on Hantek site and do not make drivers for windows 10.
The 1008 cannot ac couple and I could not find confirmation that the newer automotive variants can either.
I would merely suggest anyone considering one is that it might be a first step for someone to learn the potential of can bee seen.

I am really no fan of Hantek but a couple of points
The Hantek 1008 has no driver issues under Windows 10 -- Microsoft specify that Windows 10 and Windows 8 use a common standard for drivers.

Hantek stil list the 1008B and 1008C on their website and with in the last few months introduced an improved case design on these models.
Hantek quite recently introduced long over due up dated software for the 1008 with a new IU --- still not great but a improvement over the original the main improvement apart from getting rid of the awkward mouse operated knobs appears to be the introduction of an invert option.

There is still no AC option as I am pretty sure tthis would require major revisions to the hardware. This isn't a problem because iIt is easy enough and only costs pennies for the user to make an AC blocking attenuator to convert the signal to AC only.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

The following user(s) said Thank You: Dtech494

More
5 years 1 month ago #27747 by Reeder
Dtech494. Hello. I have been wondering about using the PICO 2 channel for automotive as well. PICO is pretty specific in saying "No", but I don't see why it couldn't be used with the proper attenuators, etc. What has been your experience? (I have a Hantek 1008 I've had for years, but would love to be able to use Pico's software.)

Thanks!

More
5 years 1 month ago #27804 by Orchid70
Is there a second hand SnapOn market in Europe?
I guess I wouldnt have much use for a US SnapOn??

More
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #27853 by Andy.MacFadyen
The non-automotive Pico software is different from automotive software, I have heard of a dll hack to work on the non-automotive scopes but this breaks the terms of the software licence.

Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by Andy.MacFadyen.

More
5 years 1 month ago #27855 by Orchid70
I have Pico 2206 and knowing nothing of scoping I guess I dont get much out of it - this is what the best result looks like for lambda sonds from a 2012 year natural gas Passat:

I only have two of the basic probes, like the one that follows with this scope.
When I tried to put the settings as prescribed in Automotive software - the results looked grazy....
Attachments:

More
5 years 1 month ago #27877 by Andy.MacFadyen
Are the sensors and cats warm ?What are the the O2 sensors showing in OBD II live data ?

More
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #27883 by Andy.MacFadyen
Leaving out the uScope and other hand helds and any available 2nd user Snap-On or Pico equipment. Also avoiding Hantek and rebranded Hantek (for example Sealey). It goes without saying where possible buy from a reputable source ---- for example AESwave

The Owon VDS1022i is a fairly decent 2 channel scope for the non-pro on a tight budget, the general purpose software is easy to use and it has over volt protection more suitable for automotive work than the 2000 series Pico.

The great strength of the Pico 2000 series is the Picoscope software, it is outstanding even in the non-automotive version, but as regards the hardware the 2000 series has lower voltage limits than the Owon. Also note the 2204A and 2205A are relatively slow scopes and also don't have vertical position adjustment and the price difference between the slower models in the 2000 range and the faster models in the range is huge.

The next step up is the AutoDitex range made in Bulgaria they make both USB virtual scopes and pad style scopes I don't know the price point in the USA but in Europe they are competitively priced for the small shop. AutoDitex have very good automotive software and are actively developing it. The developer Petyo Petkov is on Facebook and very supportive.

Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by Andy.MacFadyen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Orchid70

More
5 years 1 month ago #28007 by Orchid70

Andy.MacFadyen wrote: Are the sensors and cats warm ?What are the the O2 sensors showing in OBD II live data ?

Yes - both warm.
I didnt even think of the OBDII data (in VCDS) - but I have VCDS data for long and short term fuel trim. The long term adaptation is very high.

I have fault code P2177 lean at idle - no vacuum leaks. This comes as I have understood now - when the car adapts from one fuel to an other. At first I thought it only came when driven on petrol - but last time it came after putting natural gas in. She told me she drives the car like a thief - perhaps the adpatation between fuels is the culprit.
Also - I dont know if this has anything to with anything - the second lambda heater resistance is missing for long periods of time, during which time the "Hetaer Condition" turns on and off all the time.
Attachments:

More
5 years 3 weeks ago #28204 by dcarey
Hi Andy,

Excellent post! How about the Pico 2000?

Dave Carey
Cape Cod

More
5 years 6 days ago #28818 by Desmond6004
I'm in the process of looking for a good handheld scope for the workshop. We have a decent laptop scope but need something for the guys to take out into the yard or on out-jobs in their van for quick and easy operation.
I imagine there have been a few updates to handheld scopes since this (very useful) post was written.
I'm busy reading a review on the DS213 but there are so many option out there.
My main requirement besides reasonably easy operation are the ability to record and scroll through patterns and ideally the ability to zoom
in to a part of the pattern.

More
4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #36082 by Masso
Hi, you still stand behind the Rigol, Martin?
I’m thinking of getting one based on your post.
I’m mainly going to use it to diagnose high/low Canbus waveforms to see if communication between modules in a car is faulty.
Simple hall sensor pulses, stuff like that.
Also ignition coils and comparative compression tests on start motor.
Would the 1054Z be enough you think?
I’m a hobbyist, but hobbling so long, I can run with the professional pack, only I don’t have customers to recoup tool costs.
It would be great to have an oscilloscope in my toolkit.
Thanks in advance & Merry Christmas! :)
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by Masso. Reason: Grammar shmammar

More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #36710 by stioc
Great suggestions here! However, unless I missed it I didn't see the SnapOn MODIS on the list of affordable 4 channel portable scopes. It's basically the big brother of the Vantage Pro and the older model to the Verus with all the guided component tests as well as a full scanner etc.

I purchased mine about 3 yrs ago on ebay, came with the 14.4 software. Then I pieced together all the components (battery, charger, test leads, diagnostic keys, OBDII cables etc). I think I have $750 into it but I see them for sale on ebay for around $500 time to time. What I really like about it is the 4-channels. Say you need a cam/crank correlation and you want a sync with the ignition coil or injector, you need a 4 channel scope. Or you want to see data from the two banks on a 6 or 8 cyl engine with a sync, you need a 4 channel scope. I've considered selling mine to move up to the 4 channel PICO Auto for a couple of features I'd like but as a DIYer I can't bring myself to swallow the price tag on those bad boys. I may trade up to a Verus though.

Unfortunately the screen on my MODIS is just starting to go dim/dark from years of use which still isn't too bad actually but for crystal clear pic I just connect it to the my 20in LCD or copy the files over to my PC and view them in the free ShopStream software.

Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by stioc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah, Andy.MacFadyen

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
4 years 3 months ago #36712 by Noah
The Modis is a good choice at the right price point.
That was my first scope as well

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

Time to create page: 0.289 seconds