A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

My new diagnostics back pack

More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #22808 by graywave
I decided to stay in the game and got a snap-on Verus Pro w/17.4. I still have the Genisys Touch but I can't seem to sell it for $1200 so I guess I"ll keep it. Its worth more to keep at this point since I can program modules with the VCI and I have all the adapters for older / odd vehicles. Dealing with my original internal ear damage better than before so I'm more comfortable going into noisy environments and also staying in one with proper protection.

So since i'm staying in the field, I have been trying to figure out how to get more organized. My cables always knotting up, everything stuff in a tool box, my Verus in the front seat unprotected. I kinda wanted a tool box or bag specifically for diagnosing and light wiring repair.

Maybe this will help someone else on here too. I have only been using for....2 hours haha but so far I like it.

So I came across a bag by Klein Tools - Tech Backpack 2.0 and also picked up some velcro cable ties which work great for the leads.
www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017OC43JU/ref...00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here it is, eventually I'll need to prioritize what goes in it.

Confirm what it's not, and fix what it is!
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by graywave.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 8 months ago #22809 by graywave

More
5 years 8 months ago #22810 by graywave

Attachments:

More
5 years 8 months ago #22811 by Chad
Replied by Chad on topic My new diagnostics back pack

graywave wrote: I decided to stay in the game

That's great to hear! Our field NEEDS more techs with the "Diagnostic Mindset". I was sad to read you were thinking about leaving. You have the Mindset.

Welcome back!

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)

More
5 years 8 months ago #22812 by Chad
Nice kit, BTW. B)

More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #22814 by graywave
Thanks Pole!

You are absolutely correct about the field. Unfortunately shops don't want to spend the time to do it or don't know how. The shop I work at full time didn't like when I pulled out the scope since they thought it would take me forever to diagnose something but they are catching on now.

I recently advertised on craigslist as an "Advanced Mobile Diagnostician" and I've been getting 1-3 jobs a week and every single one (Exception of the Sprinter I posted about still needing an EGR) been able to diagnose and some I repaired. Even though some jobs are too large for me to repair, they still are extremely happy to know exactly what the problem is. One guy who doubted me a bit was thrilled when I noticed I was not getting any ground through the fuel pump at the fuel pump relay under the hood on his chevy truck. Turned out to be a bad splice at the fuel pump connector, soldered and he was a happy camper and called me again today to do some more work on his weekend truck.

Also had a small dealer call me and tell me they will be keeping my information.

For now I charge a $100 minimum for the first 2 hours and $80/hr after that. I'll up the 2 hour charge eventually but for now its working and no one is complaining.

Feels good to stay in the game! I just need to build my "Phone Buddy Contacts List" lol for those questions I may need to ask. Paul? haha JK

More
5 years 8 months ago #22817 by Chad
Word will get around. Your phone will start ringing of the hook. I used to sit around and wonder if anything was going to come in, today. Now, I have anywhere from 6 to 12 cars at all times. I had to hired an additional mechanic. I have someone just to answer the phone make estimates. Business is booming and showing NO signs of slowing down. 5-6 years ago, things were pretty shaky, to say the least. The last two years, for me, the biggest problem I have had is finding room to put the car that just came in on a tow truck. People are STARVED for a Tech that can solve the problem, quickly, the first time. I charge a flat $75 for diagnostics. Rarely, I will ask for more.

And, I owe it all to the methods I have learned from SD. Thank you, Paul!

More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #22818 by graywave
Do you perform all your work in one place or do you travel a lot too? I always wonder how others do it to try and learn from them. I'll travel fairly far which is why I felt I needed to charge more. Maybe eventually I'll do a flat fee, I had thought of that. Usually the $100 is all I charge. I don't charge more than 3-4 and I need to feel that its worth the customer paying more...I do need to sleep at night. I try to be fair and honest and I'll talk to them about it.

Usually within 1 hour i'll figure out the problem on the road. In the shop is usually within 30 min. 2 hours creeps on me quick sometimes. I try not to charge any more than that but I tell ya, customers always ask "are you sure thats enough for all you did?"

More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #22819 by Chad
I am fortunate enough to have a, fairly, large shop. I do not own it. It belonged to my friend, before he passed. There is still a mortgage that needs paid. (it will be paid off in 11 months!) My friends son will, soon, will take over. He has been stepping up, and I have been stepping back. His father would be very proud.

As a rule, I don't do mobile diagnostics. I have a shop. A tow truck costs $40, in town.

In your case, work out a deal with your Current Shop-owner? Hustle your own work. Sell the shop owner the repair? If you increase the customer-flow through his shop, you will be an asset he can't afford to lose.

Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by Chad.

More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #22820 by Chad

graywave wrote: customers always ask "are you sure thats enough for all you did?"

Sometimes, I will spend 3-4 hours, or more, on a diagnosis. I still, usually, only charge $75. These are the ones that are making me better. No education is free. This lesson cost me 3-4 hours. It is because of these lessons that, 75% of the time, I can diagnose in 15-30 minutes, or less. I, still, charge $75.

Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by Chad.

More
5 years 8 months ago #22826 by Chad
Here's my kit.

More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #22827 by graywave

pole71 wrote:

graywave wrote: customers always ask "are you sure thats enough for all you did?"

Sometimes, I will spend 3-4 hours, or more, on a diagnosis. I still, usually, only charge $75. These are the ones that are making me better. No education is free. This lesson cost me 3-4 hours. It is because of these lessons that, 75% of the time, I can diagnose in 15-30 minutes, or less. I, still, charge $75.

I totally agree with you there. I tell myself, if I can't figure it out in 2 hours or less, or even 1 hour or less, its because I don't know enough about the system or circuit. Which is where the self schooling comes in. Though sometimes I do feel 3 hours is acceptable if its something you really need to search for as long as you have direction. The sprinter van I had probably 8+ hours into and only charged 3 which he was perfectly fine with. Mobility for me cost me money so I feel I need to charge more than if I was working out of a garage.

Nice KIT! I've been thinking of getting a cart like that for at the shop with a decent sized screen so I can see whats going on from inside the car or where ever im at. I think I would only want to do that with a pico though and it would have to be touch screen.. I spoil myself.

How do you like that blue ignition probe in your 3rd drawer? I have been having major issues with the 15" Wyze Probe. I ended up making my own and it works way better for 2ndary pickup. I made another one with smaller wire, more wraps and double layered. Not sure if it will be better but when I get home I'll see. Experimenting

Waveform with diy probe (2 wire coil on 17 kia forte 2.0)

15" Wyze Probe

Attachments:

More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #22836 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic My new diagnostics back pack
Very happy to hear you're staying in the game, graywave. B) Your attitude towards the job is awesome.

Doing quick struts in the driveway today, so my mobile kit looks like this. :silly: :blush:

Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by Tyler. Reason: Stupid google drive

More
5 years 8 months ago #22838 by Ben
Replied by Ben on topic Re:My new diagnostics back pack
I can't see any pics on the tapatalk app so I'm not sure what it looks like but anytime it's in the driveway it's not good.......

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

More
5 years 8 months ago #22840 by Chad

graywave wrote: Mobility for me cost me money so I feel I need to charge more than if I was working out of a garage.

I would, too. Plus, travel time/milage.

How do you like that blue ignition probe in your 3rd drawer?

It depends on the coil. Some, it works great and makes a nice wave. Others, not so much. I, really, don't use it that much. That might change, now that I have a Pico. I haven't played, yet.

I've been thinking of getting a cart like that for at the shop with a decent sized screen so I can see whats going on from inside the car or where ever im at. I think I would only want to do that with a pico though and it would have to be touch screen.. I spoil myself.

I leave my Verus hanging on the wall and connect to it with the cart's laptop via Remote Desktop Connection. I can window the PicoScope, AllData/ShopKey, and the Verus all on one screen, simultaneously. A touchscreen is on the list. B)

Tyler wrote: Doing quick struts in the driveway today, so my mobile kit looks like this. :silly: :blush:

:ohmy: :woohoo: I feel kinda bad about getting as much enjoyment, as I did, out of this...You ROCK, Tyler! ;)

Ben wrote: I can't see any pics on the tapatalk app so I'm not sure what it looks like but anytime it's in the driveway it's not good.......

Your imagination is, probably, pretty accurate. I get a chuckle every time I look at it. :blink:

• Noah
  • Away
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
5 years 8 months ago #22858 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic My new diagnostics back pack
I the worst part of working at home is trying to sleep at night with all the tools in the back of the car!

I'm glad you're sticking with it GrayWave. I was disappointed to hear you were hanging it up. Looks like a good set up ;)

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"
The following user(s) said Thank You: graywave

More
5 years 8 months ago #22869 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic My new diagnostics back pack

Noah wrote: I the worst part of working at home is trying to sleep at night with all the tools in the back of the car!

Truth. :ohmy: I couldn't do it, so I pulled everything inside. I don't trust the savages in this town further than I can spit. :angry:

I also like the test light selection, graywave. B) I've been putting a few together in my slow time.

More
5 years 8 months ago #22871 by graywave

I'm glad you're sticking with it GrayWave. I was disappointed to hear you were hanging it up. Looks like a good set up

Thanks Noah. Feels right. Just got done diagnosing some electrical problems on a 1968 Bradley GT2. Owner called me specifically. Pretty cool car. Found a bad in-line fuse hidden behind the instrument panel, a bad splice pack and a bad tail lamp converter box (Basically a trailer tail light converter box). The problem was that the rear directional and brakes (using the same bulb filament) were very dim. Module was creating a large voltage drop. Bypassing the module allowed them to be nice a bright.

I also like the test light selection, graywave. B) I've been putting a few together in my slow time.

Thanks Tyler! I got the idea from Ivan (Pine Hollow Auto Diagnostics) and want to add the banana terminals on the ends like he did. There are 3 3157 Bulbs/Sockets and Its a complete harness from a late 90s chevy suburban. Tail lamp was smashed so I grabbed the harness :) I haven't tested the current it pulls yet but I do believe with all the filaments active in each bulb, its close to 6 amps.

I had actually thought about using that setup to test for a good ground or good wiring to a fuel pump from the relay under the hood of a vehicle, knowing other variables to consider. Not sure how the resistance through the pump winding would interfere with that test though. I've tested with my standard test light on these circuits and a bad circuit usually holds up well to .3 amps from the standard test light. I wonder if the pump would turn on using the 3157 test light haha.

I decided that I won't be a "mobile mechanic" only a "mobile diagnostician" that does lighter repairs so my hat goes off to your Tyler!

It depends on the coil. Some, it works great and makes a nice wave. Others, not so much. I, really, don't use it that much. That might change, now that I have a Pico. I haven't played, yet.

Well when you get a chance Pole let me or us know. Trying to find a probe that is consistent is probably going to be the battle. I know some coils are to heavily shielded and we can hope that most coils will work just fine with certain probes.

I leave my Verus hanging on the wall and connect to it with the cart's laptop via Remote Desktop Connection. I can window the PicoScope, AllData/ShopKey, and the Verus all on one screen, simultaneously. A touchscreen is on the list. B)

Not a bad idea! I have seen some people install windows 7 and windows 10 on the verus. After I find a more suitable disk image software I'll give it a shot and try loading Win10. It would be nice to have Google Drive on the verus so when I save waveforms or PID Data, it all automatically syncs to my computers when it has Internet. Thats how I have my Genisys setup.

More
5 years 8 months ago #22872 by Ben
Replied by Ben on topic Re:My new diagnostics back pack
Those Bradley gt2 are cool cars I had 1 through the shop last year I was surprised how the body is styled like a supercar 20+ years ahead of its time!

More
5 years 8 months ago #22873 by graywave

Ben wrote: Those Bradley gt2 are cool cars I had 1 through the shop last year I was surprised how the body is styled like a supercar 20+ years ahead of its time!

I was thinking the same thing. The engine doesn't match the "super car body style" though. haha. Maybe 20 years ago it was a powerful engine. I forget how much power it makes but it has a tiny carburetor on it.

Time to create page: 0.270 seconds