A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Pressure transducer help

More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #13460 by tloftis
I need help connecting a bnc wire or whatever I need to make one of these work on my snap on modis. any of you guys know how to wire it? they are really cheap and are on ebay. can I just hook my modis clips to the leads or do any of you know how to wire them to a bnc or what ever it needs. the snap on models look just like this and on ebay you can get any psi transducer you want cheap. one pic is of an actual snap on transducer that looks like it is a three wire. it cost $175 DOLLARS. yikes if I just knew which bnc pins to go to with what color of wire I am rolling....
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by tloftis. Reason: asdf

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 7 months ago #13461 by tloftis
Replied by tloftis on topic Pressure transducer help
the snap on is 500 psi but you can get any psi you want for under $10 shipped.

More
6 years 7 months ago #13463 by tloftis
Attachments:

More
6 years 7 months ago #13777 by phillip.zanders
You need to buy or make a voltage regulator box. They are not hard. But be careful some transducers are garbage. Just cause it's a $100 doesn't mean it's any good from my experience.

More
6 years 7 months ago #13791 by GypsyR
Replied by GypsyR on topic Pressure transducer help
I've looked into this a little. The way I see it you can buy a transducer then a cable and make your own like the $175 Ebay one. Trick is to figure out which wires/pins to use as it's three pins on one end and nine on the other. Ebay guy obviously figured it out. Since the standard cheap transducers have the same plug on them, once you figure out the wiring you can swap transducers at will.
I just went ahead and got the Snap On adapter, EEMS324PSA. It was like $60 from the tool truck. Their transducers are like $335 each so I balked at that and haven't gone any further. Yet, I've been a bit busy.

More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #13793 by Andy.MacFadyen
Nothing to figure out 3 wires Red, Black and another colour usually yellow or orange or blue.
Red is 5v +
Black is Common Ground
Remaining colour is signal

You need a clean 5v DC supply --- you can get either get a step down from 12 volts or a step-up from a 1.5v AAA battery
See this thread

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.

More
6 years 7 months ago #13795 by GypsyR
Replied by GypsyR on topic Pressure transducer help
OK, nothing much to figure out if you do a complete DIY setup and don't intend to match up with Snap On's eight pin cable to their transducer power adapter which they have arbitrarily wired up how they please. Which is what I am looking at doing.

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #13862 by jcascel1
Replied by jcascel1 on topic Pressure transducer help
I'm pretty sure I've figured out how to connect a (non SO) transducer directly to the MODIS without the SO split lead adapter or an external power source for the transducer!

The transducer pictured for sale on eBay is one that I thought of buying as well. I even went so far as to buy a SO split lead adapter thinking that it was the only option. The seller says that he has a setup for the MODIS but I never could find it.

With the round 9 pin plug shown you do indeed need the split lead adapter to connect it to your MODIS. The split lead adapter is nice since you can monitor two transducer signals and connect a rpm pickup. You can see that the seller spliced the transducers 3 wires to the wire with the round 9 pin connector. Important to remember since I don't think that this is a SO transducer (quality?) but a generic transducer that the seller provides no specs for.

However, I think I've found a way to connect an aftermarket transducer directly to the MODIS without the split lead adapter or that stupid round 9 pin adapter shown on the eBay transducer. I'm pretty sure it can be done with a standard 9 pin male connector going directly to the MODIS and without an external power source for the transducer.

I have almost everything that I need except for a transducer to play with. I'm shopping around for a better than eBay quality piece with some decent specs and a reasonable price.

I'll make a video on how to do it so you can give it a try yourself!

Thanks,

John
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by jcascel1. Reason: I forgot to check the box for reply notifications. Dang it!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alonso

Time to create page: 0.201 seconds