A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Snap-On Verus Edge (Is it still worth purchasing?)

More
5 months 5 days ago - 5 months 5 days ago #63647 by Timmy the Toolman
Howdy,

I'd like to purchase a good vehicle scanner.  I'm wondering if the Snap-on Verus Edge would be a smart purchase knowing that Snap-on will soon not be supporting this platform anymore.  

I run a YouTube channel called Timmy the Toolman where me and my buddies work on Toyota / Lexus SUVs and Trucks.  We do basic maintenance, repairs and modifications.  i want to get better at vehicle diagnostics and so I joined the Scanner Danner Premium so I can learn and up my game.  I am guilty of being a "Parts Changer" in the past.

I'm willing to spend a decent amount of money on a good scanner.  I've seen Snap-on Verus Edge scanners for sale on Ebay, and I'm considering going that route, but I'd like some input on whether this would be a smart purchase.

Thanks,
Tim
Last edit: 5 months 5 days ago by Timmy the Toolman.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 months 5 days ago #63650 by Tyler
Hey Timmy! IMO, unless you're working on the newest vehicles available (let's say five years old or newer), then I wouldn't let the lack of Snappy support change your decision. The Verus Edge is still a very capable tool without it. And don't forget that SD himself prefers the Snap-On platform for filming due to the ease of using the screen recorder.

Would you be able to put a dollar amount to your budget? Asking because the aftermarket scan tool market is wide open these days. There's any number of scan tools you could buy (or separate scan tools and scopes) for a given price point. Speaking of, is having a scope an important feature for you?

More
5 months 5 days ago #63653 by Timmy the Toolman
Thanks for the reply. I want a scanner that will allow me to do most everything needed to diagnose vehicle problems. I know I don't want to spend $10k on a Snap-on Zeus. I'd say I'm willing to go as high as $5k for a scanner. I think a scope would be ideal to have. I'm new to doing more in-depth vehicle diagnostics, so I'm not 100% on what I really need. I'm more a buy once cry once, rather than cheaping out and regretting I didn't buy a more powerful machine.

I do like that SD has a full class on the Versus Edge and that's why I was heavily considering it. But, I'm open to other brands like Autel, Topdon, Xtool, etc. The cost of updates is a consideration. I'm a DIYer that helps people through my YouTube channel and I never know what Toyota/Lexus model I can end up working on. I work on mostly older models, but I could easily see myself working on newer ones too. It just depends on who hits me up for help.

So, I'm open to your recommendations.

Thank you for your time!

More
5 months 4 days ago #63658 by Chad
The Verus Edge will remain to be a viable tool for many more years. Even though new vehicle support will not be added, the tool will not lose any functionality, with the exception of online subscription services.

Another tool to consider, on that budget, would be the Autel Ultra. It, like the Verus, has a scope module. Unlike the Verus, the Ultra scope module doubles as a J2534 device, bringing module flashing/programming capabilities. The scope/J2534 is a separate component from the scantool. You can access the scope, from the scantool, wirelessly.

I happen to have a Verus Edge, with the latest update, that I would like to sell, if you are interested. 

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)

More
5 months 3 days ago #63667 by Timmy the Toolman
I was looking at the Autel Maxisys Ultra as an option but was wondering about the subscription updates. They are very expensive and probably not very necessary for me as a DIY mechanic running a YouTube channel. If you don't purchase the updates, do you know what you lose in functionality with the scanner? Basically, I can see myself buying the scanner and then maybe updating it 5 years down the road when I find a real need to update.

What would be your price for the Verus Edge?

Thanks.

More
5 months 3 days ago - 5 months 3 days ago #63668 by Tyler
Second the Ultra suggestion. Or the MS919. Either are very capable tools with tons of features. The included J2534 interface will allow for programming, like Chad said, including Toyota Techstream. I've also come to like the convenience of the BT506 battery tester (included as part of the package deal when I bought the Ultra). Plus, the Ultra/MS919/909 have come down significantly in price since they first came out.

I talk more about the strengths and weaknesses of the Ultra here:

www.scannerdanner.com/forum/diagnostic-t...ars-later.html#60352

EDIT: Updates are pricey. Figure about $1,000 per year. If you buy from the right places. During a sale.

The only functionality you lose with a lapsed subscription would be the Remote Expert (you pay someone else to remote in and do programming/magic button pressing) and AutoAuth (for connecting to secure gateway vehicles). If neither of those is a critical feature for you, let it lapse and don't worry about it.
Last edit: 5 months 3 days ago by Tyler.

More
5 months 3 days ago - 5 months 3 days ago #63670 by Timmy the Toolman
So, would you say you like the Autel Maxisys Ultra over the Snap-on Verus Edge or is it more of a situation of keeping both because no machine is perfect and what one does poorly, the other does pretty well?

I'm just wondering for my needs, would the Snap-on Verus Edge be more than sufficient. I'm going to use it for mostly working on Toyota and Lexus SUVs and Trucks.

Last edit: 5 months 3 days ago by Timmy the Toolman.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
5 months 3 days ago #63681 by Noah
I would buy the Edge, that's my daily driver

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Timmy the Toolman

More
5 months 3 days ago - 5 months 3 days ago #63686 by Chad

What would be your price for the Verus Edge?

Thanks.

Looking on Ebay, the going rate seems to be around $3000 for scanners with older software, and Never-been-used test leads.
My scanner has the latest software update 23.4 ($1250). However, the test leads have been used...A LOT.
I would like to get $2500.

Last edit: 5 months 3 days ago by Chad.

More
5 months 3 days ago - 5 months 3 days ago #63691 by Timmy the Toolman
Would your Verus Edge come with the carrying case and all the other cables and accessories?

Could you provide a pic of the whole kit that you would be selling?  I don't want to assume anything.

Thanks.
Last edit: 5 months 3 days ago by Timmy the Toolman. Reason: Wanted to make a correction.

More
5 months 3 days ago #63697 by Chad
I do not have the original Verus case, but I will give you the case that came with the Zeus.

I, also, have a brand-new Tempered glass screen protector. I removed the old protector, to take the pictures, as it had a small crack. I removed it to show that the scanner screen is not cracked, or scratched. The new one is, still, in the package and will need to be installed.

I will include a set of test-leads and an AC adapter, for charging. (The battery is, only, about a year old...maybe, two.)

More
5 months 2 days ago #63702 by Timmy the Toolman
Hey Chad,

Thanks for the pic of everything. Would the test leads also come with the alligator clip ends? I saw that those came with the original kit.

As for the price, it sounds fair because you have the most recent update. It's still a lot of money for a used scanner and I struggle with this level of investment in a tool I might not be using too much because I'm not a paid technician working in a shop. I'm just trying to up my game and learn more about automobile diagnostics and share what I have learned via videos on my YouTube channel like Paul Danner does. It's all in the name of helping people. I make very little for my time investment into these videos. I'm motivated by the fact what I do helps people. If I were doing it for the money, I would have quit this gig a long time ago.

If you're curious what my channel is all about, check out my channel. Here's a link: www.youtube.com/channel/UC9EMiD9KPy61kJ6hdXcbjxA

If your price was lower, like $2000, I'd feel compelled to jump at the chance to own a quality scanner. At $2500, I'm going to have to give it some more thought.

I really appreciate yours and Tyler's time. You both seem like really good guys.

More
5 months 2 days ago #63705 by Chad
That looks like a pretty impressive Youtube channel!

It's no problem to throw in 4 alligator clips. It might be a problem coming up with one of each color, though.

I'm afraid I have to hold firm at $2500. Scanners with much older software are selling for more...

More
5 months 2 days ago #63706 by Timmy the Toolman
Ok Chad, I'll give it some thought and get back to you. Thanks for your time.

More
4 months 3 weeks ago #63785 by Timmy the Toolman
I just bought a used Snap On Verus Edge via Ebay for $2k. It doesn't have the latest update. It's been updated to the 22.4 software. Did I make the right decision, not going for the deal Chad offered me? I don't know. Having the most up to date software would have been nice, but I figured updated software up to 2022 was good enough.

More
4 months 3 weeks ago #63788 by Chad

I just bought a used Snap On Verus Edge via Ebay for $2k. ... It's been updated to the 22.4 software.

That's a good deal. If you are anything like me, it will be a few years before you will need 2023 coverage, anyway. 2022 is close enough.

More
4 months 3 weeks ago #63790 by Timmy the Toolman
Hey Chad,

How valuable is the "Fix it" (Sure Track) feature? I was watching some training videos on the Verus via the Snap On website and it said you need the current software to access that. Now I'm wondering if I should have gotten the newest software.

More
4 months 3 weeks ago - 4 months 3 weeks ago #63791 by Chad
The "Fix It" is kind of nice. If you are dealing with a code that you are unfamiliar with, it will give a some brief info that will help you get an idea of what you are dealing with. The information given may, or may not, pertain to your particular situation.

It will, also, present you with any TSB's pertaining to that DTC, which is nice.

However, the Verus Edge is on its "sundown" update. There will be no more. In a few more months, none of them (not even mine) will have the "current" software. All online features, such as the Suretrack Community and the "Fix it" will no longer be available on the Verus platform.

You made a good purchase decision. 

Last edit: 4 months 3 weeks ago by Chad.

More
4 months 3 weeks ago #63792 by Timmy the Toolman
I almost pulled the plug and bought the Autel Maxisys Ultra, but I figured I'd give the Snap On Verus Edge a try first. There's just a lot more information on how to properly use Snap On Scanners. I learned recently there's free training courses online for it. For the Autel, information isn't as readily available. Autel sells training for it, for a high price, like $1400 for 2 days of training. Autel might be surpassing Snap On in functionality and price, but their customer service is no where close to being on par with Snap On.

More
3 weeks 1 day ago #65287 by DDR223
Why is it good it’s near sundown ? And losing some fairly helpful functions?

Time to create page: 0.261 seconds