Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

New Member CaseyAtTheBat

More
2 years 6 months ago #51999 by CaseyAtTheBat
HI Scanner Danner Community!
I'm a nooby determined to learn how to fix all the problems in my 2000 Honda Civic EX with the D16Y8 engine.

First up, I got an Innova 5410 scantool; I can download codes but can't see any live data. 
Innova tells me that is a limitation of the 2000 Civic. Anybody know why that is so, it is OBDII.

I've got a recurring P0505 IACV problem.  My inspection station tells me that if you can't get live data,
an oscilloscope is used to figure out how to fix it.

I sent an e-mail to the Scanner Danner support e-mail to find out if the book and classes would help me learn how to use an oscilloscope to diagnose my car.  I haven't heard back in a week.

Can anybody help me know if buying the book and becoming a premium member would help me?  I'm determined to figure this out!
Thanks,
CaseyAtTheBat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 6 months ago #52051 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic New Member CaseyAtTheBat
Hey CaseyAtTheBat! Welcome. :cheer:

I'm not sure what the limitation is with Innova and your Civic. :unsure: I can tell you I used to use an Innova on my '99 CR-V regularly without issue. Unfortunately, pre-2003 MY Hondas have always been a bit tricky with aftermarket scan tools, in my experience.

P0505 has pretty broad code set criteria, and doesn't necessarily suggest a circuit problem. I'd suggest making a new thread in the Repair section for better visibility to other members. 

The book can definitely help with your diagnostics. Not just on your Civic, but with most any car. :) Just keep in mind that the book is not written with specific years/makes/models in mind. It won't have testing tailored to your application, but general strategies that are backed up with case studies.

More
2 years 6 months ago - 2 years 6 months ago #52052 by Andy.MacFadyen
Stuck IACV are pretty common on older Honda -- I ran a mid 96 2.3 twincam DOHC Accord (Rover 623)  with the IACV on top of the manifold for a few years a cleaning the IACV was needed a couple a couple of times.
ISTR Paul made a video on a slightly latter model Honda IACV

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Last edit: 2 years 6 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.

More
2 years 6 months ago #52053 by Andy.MacFadyen
this might help SD YouTube Honda-Acura Surging Idle Speed (case study)

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

More
2 years 6 months ago #52076 by CaseyAtTheBat
Thanks for the nice welcome and the information Tyler and Andy! I also got a reply back from
Kristin about how oscilloscopes are covered in the course and book. I'm going to check out  the
e-book first but will probably get the paper book so I can take notes on it while I watch the classes
in Premium.  I'm really excited to have found ScannerDanner.com and am eager to learn everything I can.

I watched the video, Andy, and already learned about how the injectors turn off and on on a hunting idle;
one of the problems I've encountered in my repair journey.  I'm going to go to the Repair forum and post
a summary of all the stuff I've done and the recurring problem I've having.

Thanks again for the warm welcome as I begin my journey.

CaseyAtTheBat

Time to create page: 0.213 seconds