Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Where do I start?

More
2 years 7 months ago #50908 by 2siamese
Where do I start? was created by 2siamese
Greetings all. I had made an entry before about a code that I got on my vehicle, and unbeknownst to me at the time, it was solved HELLA fast. I found the ground, cleaned it off with some WD40 and last I checked I was getting no more CEL's and my MAF lb/min were damn near doubled! Thank you ScannerJohn!!

I was watching a ScannerDanner video called 'The Ugly Cobalt' because I too, have a Cobalt (hopefully not an UGLY Cobalt) and he managed to figure out a problem and somehow 'PROVED' it by disconnecting a wire and calling what would occur on the scan tool, and sure enough, it happened. That's like mathematics in automotive format! I was blown away, they made commercials in the 90's called 'MENTOS: The Freshmaker!!' and if I knew how to do what he did, everyday I'd be making Mentos Moments happen! I'm hooked, and I want more. 

I would like to become a Premium member, and purchase the book to advance my overall automotive knowledge but I'm unsure of where to begin. For starters, I know next to nothing about how to service vehicles, having only done my first ever oil change a year ago. I can follow directions, and use tools as required. I'm fearful that if I sign up, watch the classes online I'll be sort of lost and not understand the format/direction of the class. Or what's being discussed/taught. 

So as a new student, where would be some good places to visit to expand or build upon the knowledge I currently have? I'm ready and able to sign up for Premium, but I don't want to become discouraged for signing up for something that I really don't understand. Please give me some tips or pointers, thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
2 years 7 months ago #50914 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic Where do I start?
First I would suggest signing up for the 2 week free trial. You have nothing to lose if you feel like you're out of your depth.
The class room sessions are taught from the book, so you'll literally see every page of the book in the videos. If it starts clicking and you feel like it's something you want to stick with, then make the investment in book afterwards.
Most important though is getting your hands on cars. It's all just a whirlwind of information until you have the opportunity to apply it and make the tests your own.
When I found Scanner Danner I was working full time in a junk yard. That's where I got my "nuts & bolts" foundation, but I really couldn't apply any of what I was learning until I transitioned to auto repair. Even then it was a lot failure, a lot of misdiagnosis, a lot of bad calls until I was able to reflect on my mistakes with the Scanner Danner material in mind and develop a solid troubleshooting routine that worked for me.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.206 seconds