Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Son of a 3rd Generation Farmer

More
2 years 10 months ago #49186 by Gabestutz94
Hi all,
Name is Gabe. Born and Raised Corn Fed, as they say, on a East Central Iowa Dairy Farm. Been running Tractors and Equipment from the Age of 12. I guess somewhere around 14 I developed a curiousity in mechanical things, engine's and what not. Started with a Lawn Boy Silver Series Push mower, 2 cycle that my sis tried running on straight gas, didn't work out that great. They got needle bearings as the main the rod bearing and one of the needles drove up between the piston and cylinder wall. Anyway as a kid having zero clue what I was doing, I asked people questions and got the thing running. To this day 14 some years later it's a 1 pull starting engine. I also kept busy pulling random junk out of the scrap metal pile and getting them running. 
I guess about the time I was 15 a friend of mine (he knew what he was doing) and I overhauled a 4 cylinder detroit diesel out of a small crane. I learned tons from that experience.
Must have been about 2010, the year I turned 16. My brother has a Honda Rancher 350 atv that he ran out of oil and it ended up with a knock. So I tore it down completely overhauled every aspect of that engine. Bored the jug, oversized piston, crank, new clutch. Everything that was a wear part got done. That job turned out great and He's still running that thing on his farm to this day.  I remember how many times when I was at the parts store or different how everyone kinda was like, "yeah he's another one of them ignorant kids with high ideals, that thing's never gonna work again".  When I got it done I took it into the honda store and showed them. That was the first time I started to see a little respect.
Around summer of 2012 just out 11th grade I started asking around mechanic shops to see if anyone would hire me and got turned away disappointed every place I went, I mean who wants a kid that know basically nothing about auto's. So I started working for a guy knew that did roofing, construction and farming. about 6 weeks into that I dropped his truck of to the mechanic shop, one of the shops I had questioned, and the boss there told me he had a job opening if I wanted it. 3 weeks later I started, worked over the summer and after school during my senior year. To start with just did little stuff but a gradually worked my way.
The main thing I did to get them to start giving me harder jobs. I kept up my way digging into stuff way over my head, on my own old junk, and that way learned how to do more and more, risking my dime and not the shops. 
Bout end of '14 I moved out from my folks house and into the city(hated it). Got a job a muffler shop. Being a muffler shop, they weren't exactly the most diagnostically learnt place around so it was easy for me to step up. I really had never done driveability diag before then. He started throwing on driveabilities and I kept fixing and come out making good money almost every time, though I did make a few bad calls. Mostly stuff came in with plugged or busted up Cats, I'd diag the cat and tell the customer (I was also my own advisor here) that after I put the cat in I'd have to get to the bottom of why it burnt up. Almost always I found them running rich or misfiring after I did the cats so the shop liked me cause I upsold a ton of fuel control parts, and the customer was happy with a job well done. In that I started getting pretty good at the electrical side of things.
'15 I found a girl, got married, moved back to rural area and went back to the shop I started out at cause I just didn't like city life. Before the wedding I pickep up a '65 mustang 200cid 3 spd. in terrible shape, but it cleaned up ok. Put new synchros in the trans, 2 piece rear main, carb job, all the accessories. All in all had pry 100 hours in that thing, and used it at the wedding.
Later Bought a '04 Ram 3500 with a shelled nv5600 6 spd. Bought a junk yard trans on the cheap that had busted gears in it and some bad bearings, went completely through that trans replaced on the busted gears and bearings, put a new bell housing on. Which is no small accomplishment if you've ever seen how these things come apart. I bought it specifically to run to colorado and pick up my grandpas rust free '71 chevy c10 that he bought new in 71. I drug it home 900 miles and sold the dodge at a $3k profit.
Now I've taken a job working fleet maintenance for the county sheriff round here and of 2 guys here in the shop, I'm by far 30 years the youngest, yet I'm the go to for everyone at the sheriff's dept. From the newest deputy straight up to the top. I've made some dumb mistakes but I always come straight with em and say hey, I screwed up big time, and they trust me because of it. I get into some pretty crazy electrical gadgets on this job and Danner has been a big help for me. All this extra equipment they run is on a big spaghetti mess of wiring, and there's no diagrams for it, cause every car is setup different, every car is custom.
Anway suffice it to say I've never been one that's afraid to dig into to stuff that's way over my head, do my research, follow the book to the T and It's worked out great for me.
Now I'm working on my junk old '86 turbo toyota truck. Done Rear gears, clutch, frame repair, exhaust, brakes, recored the rad, all the accessories etc, Now working on the achilles timing chain.
I started watching Danner back around pry '16 and I'm like, of all the questionable guys on Youtube, this guy knows his stuff. So I've been watching regular, decided the premium would do me benefit so I started it up and, yeah, learn alot of things about electrical that never really clicked for me before.
I'll share one win that was a direct result of Danner's influence on me. I done some moonlightin for the old muffler shop I worked for. 
Case was a '04 Volvo, drive by wire, goin into limp mode, app codes. He replaced on the app. And still didn't fix it. Called on me. I, using my old 2nd gen modis, scoped the app and it swept nice but the whole signal had this crazy hash on it, I thought it was a bad ground. So I check all the grounds and found every ground on the car with crazy hash on it. Even on the battery post itself. So by chance, (this had day time running lights so theyre always on) I happened to turn the headlight switch to parking lamps, which shut off the headlights, and wham! hash was gone. Then I discovered, the customer installed some cheap amazon drop in led headlights. Anyway, I think I would never have found it without Danner's teaching. On the job I was thinking, this looks just that toyota echo Danner did with the Dirty Block ground.
Anyway, that's about my life story, how I got here and where I'm at. There's always more to learn and that's why I'm here.
Thanks Danner!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.235 seconds