Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Hi fellow mechanical puzzle enthusiasts

More
4 years 1 month ago #37944 by Scott594
I'm a 58yr old Industrial engineer (forcibly retired due to health issues). Back in my younger days, I drag raced a bit, most notably with a 1966 Nova. My tow vehicle - a 1988 Chevy pickup (2nd of 2 I bought new) is still here, awaiting insertion of a nice gen 1 400 with Scat rotating assembly. Built for EFI and flexfuel, it's been on a stand also waiting at least 10 years. The '88 used to tow the race car to the track, then we would run it in the street class brackets, with an occasional match race - she went high 13's with a basically stock motor and unstock throttle body injection. No gas on that one, the 1st 88 I owned had an unfortunate problem with a N2O solenoid. oops. It's naturally aspirated replacement survives still.

Electronics were my real profession, my company built industrial control panels for a lot of the auto manufacturers and subs, as well as many tech companies and smaller concerns requiring process controls and unique solutions, which I specialized in. We even wired and instrumented a few race cars.

I started out working at a TV shop (started there at 13, when I got my Ham license) thru 2 years of community college electrical where I became involved in an early government gasahol research program. After that I spent some time at a couple old style auto repair shops back in the 80's and 90's - that was mostly to support my racing habit. After that I got married and it became necessary to get my business going building custom industrial machinery. A health issue put me out of business a few years ago, and now I do what I can when I can. I still enjoy machines and learning, so what's not to love about Paul's offerings here?
been using the learning spell to upgrade my tools to the new century, as far as money will allow (no Verus for me any time soon I'm afraid, but I do have a new scope and some gadgets) My oldest son graduates Alfred State with a mechanical engineering degree this spring, and frankly I wish he had gone to Rosedale instead. 4 years becoming an 'engineer' and he still can't change an air filter without help. He knows a lot of math I wish I had understood back then, but has no practical understanding of machines.
Anyway, that's more or less who I am, probably more than anyone would care to know, sorry for the somewhat rambling format.

So far, I'm enjoying the free college course. I'll be here watching what's going on and adding a comment or 2 when I think I can help.
Thanks to Paul, his "camera family" and everyone who supports his endeavor. It's appreciated.

Scott

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
4 years 1 month ago #37949 by Noah
Good to have you here Scott, thanks for joining and introducing yourself.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
4 years 1 month ago #37962 by Dylan
Thanks for joining the community Scott! ;)

More
4 years 1 month ago #37964 by Andy.MacFadyen
Just a quick welcome --- great intro you are our kinda guy

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Time to create page: 0.216 seconds