Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Make the switch to aftermarket repair?

More
4 years 7 months ago #33821 by JeepLife
Hi everyone,
I have worked as a technician for 9 years, at a Lexus dealer for the past 5 years, master ASE, and have learned a lot. Heres the thing though, dealership politics, waiters, and in general "pattern" type repairs has me wanting to learn more. I just recently had an interview at a reputable after market repair shop in town. The place was nice, well kept, good group of young techs (like myself), and a very sharp shop foreman/head tech. Now, I have not been offered a position with this shop just yet, but if I am offered a spot, would it be smart to take this job? Working at the dealer is predictable and comfortable, but Im not able to use the information taught here on a daily basis. I am wanting to learn and get better, but I would be nervous about making the switch and getting outside my comfort zone. Any advice?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah, Andy.MacFadyen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
4 years 7 months ago #33826 by Noah
It's always hard to step out of your comfort zone. Sounds like you got a good vibe from the place, so that's a plus.
If you have a spouse, consider their input first. Mine is always right somehow (don't tell her I said that though :) )
I had a chance to jump ship in a big way to a manufacturing facility. Good pay, benefits my current employer just can't match(cause we have none), stocks, 401k etc.
I was in. Interviewed, applied and accepted, gave my two weeks notice.
Good bye cars, hello Pepsi cans, lol.
It made perfect sense on paper, but it never sat right in my heart. My wife could see how uncomfortable I was as the day came closer. She talked sense into me in the end and I'm still at the same shop, happy with the freedom it allows me.
And you want to know the kicker? The Pepsi can plant disappeared over night 2 or 3 years ago! Huge place, thousands of employees just closed.
My rinkidink little shop is still puffing along.
I'm not a red tape guy. I would have been a square peg in a round hole there and everyone they depends on me would have suffered for it.

You likely know what the right move is. Just gotta live in where you fit in.
Something is making you look outside your current situation though.
Always a tough call, best of fortune to you in whatever you choose.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"
The following user(s) said Thank You: JeepLife

More
4 years 6 months ago #33866 by Andy.MacFadyen
Well if you are here you are smarter than the average bear so have confidence in your own judgement ....... :-)

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Time to create page: 0.213 seconds