Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Hi from Rolla, Missouri USA

More
7 years 5 months ago #3766 by JeffBirt
Hi everyone,

I was a member on the old forum and just recently signed up here. I am not a professional auto mechanic but have always done 99% of my own repairs. Since I tend to keep a vehicle for 10-15 years I'm just now getting into needing to learn more about diagnostic methods involving a scan tool (newest vehicle is a 2011 Ford Ranger.) I'm no stranger to computer controlled equipment as I spent most of my life building and repairing that type of stuff.

I have all of your basic hand tools, and some nifty power tools in my 'huge' single car garage (so huge no cars will fit in there with all the tools :) . I have a cheap USB interface scan tool with some generic OBD-II software I also found a free program, FORScan (forscan.org), that will do a lot of the Ford OEM scan tool functions. I was glad to find it as it let me program in new keys into my truck (I bought $20 Strattic key blanks and cut them on my Taig CNC mill).

I really appreciate how Paul teaches the step involved in troubleshooting a problem. This is so rarely taught in any field, most repairmen I have found in any field tend to check things randomly and throw parts at it until it starts working again. Teaching techs the thought process involved in diagnosing a problem is vital and I'm glad to see that it is being done.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
7 years 5 months ago #3770 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic Hi from Rolla, Missouri USA
Hey JeffBrit. Welcome back to the forum.
Pretty cool you were able to duplicate your own key, you must have an awful lot of stuff in that garage!

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
7 years 5 months ago #3771 by JeffBirt
Yeah it only took 10 hours of figuring out how to do it, creating a 3D key model, machining a key fixture, and cutting the keys (and a $2,500 little CNC mill) to avoid paying a dealer $75 for a key :) But hey, I learned a lot in the process.

More
7 years 5 months ago #3780 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Hi from Rolla, Missouri USA
Welcome, Jeff! Glad to see another member from the old forums.

Did you have a thread going about a timing problem on a Ford 2.0L? Or was that someone else :unsure:

More
7 years 5 months ago #3781 by JeffBirt
No, I did have an open thread about a Ford 2.0 on the old forum. Coincidently, I do have a timing belt kit for a Ford Focus (DOHC) gathering dust. Bought for daughter's car but an uninsured driver ran her off the road before it was installed. She was OK but the car was a total loss.

More
7 years 5 months ago #3787 by Dylan
Replied by Dylan on topic Hi from Rolla, Missouri USA
Great to have you back sir! Really like your mentality ;)

JeffBirt wrote:

I really appreciate how Paul teaches the step involved in troubleshooting a problem. This is so rarely taught in any field, most repairmen I have found in any field tend to check things randomly and throw parts at it until it starts working again. Teaching techs the thought process involved in diagnosing a problem is vital and I'm glad to see that it is being done.

Couldn't agree more.

Time to create page: 0.281 seconds