Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

New to the Forum

More
5 years 4 weeks ago #28015 by mtwoods1
New to the Forum was created by mtwoods1
Hello,

My name is Matt and I'm new to the forum.

I've been a shadetree mechanic since 1970 at the age of 7 when I fixed a VW Bug's high idle with a screwdriver. You should have seen the look on the teenage driver and passenger's faces when the idle dropped! I was hooked.

Profesionally, I maintained the F-15 Flight Simulator for 18 years (4 years enlisted) then worked as a maintenance technician in a couple of semiconductor fabs. I currently work as a Sr. Controls Technician building inspection tools and other robotic projects. I can pretty much fix anything given the time.

I have natural mechanical ability and have learned most of my electrical/electronic through Air Force training and personal experience.
My whole family have been involved in auto mechanics. My dad raced stock cars in a '65 Galaxy, He also drag raced with shirley muldowney and Big Daddy Don Garlits. My grandfather was a mechanic, too...While racing on day, he helped the Porche Mechanics figure out why thier wet clutch wouldn't disengage on the track (he had them cut some grooves in the clutch disc to relieve the hydrodynamic force of the wet clutch system. My mom was also a mechanic but when she showed up at the Marine Corp Motor Pool in 1960 they told her she couldn't be a mechanic, so they sent her to become an Air Traffic Controller.

I'm restoring a '71 Dodge Challenger and transfering a working transmission from my '88 Bronco into my '87 Bronco in my spare time. Currently, I'm trying to fix my 1993 Chevy 3.1LCorsica , replacing the heat pump and remodeling my house.

TMI...am I right?

Matt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 4 weeks ago #28021 by Andy.MacFadyen
Replied by Andy.MacFadyen on topic New to the Forum
I just love your background :-) You are very welcome among us :-)

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

The following user(s) said Thank You: mtwoods1

More
5 years 3 weeks ago #28026 by mtwoods1
Replied by mtwoods1 on topic New to the Forum
I’m still trying to figure out the forum and how to use it properly (and how not to break it) but I’ll get it.
I’d add “or a tiny O’scope” to your saying. I won’t use emoji in this reply. Last time I did, I think I broke the messaging system...
Thanks again,
Matt Woods

More
5 years 3 weeks ago #28039 by Dylan
Replied by Dylan on topic New to the Forum
Welcome Matt! Thx for introducing yourself ;)

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
5 years 3 weeks ago #28069 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic New to the Forum
Lol, I don't think you can break the forum. Impressive background, welcome to the community.

I've got a Mitsubishi mini split ductless heat pump on my house. Nice bit of hvac tech :)

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
5 years 3 weeks ago #28075 by mtwoods1
Nice! But will the mini-split system cover the entire household load?

Matt

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
5 years 3 weeks ago #28077 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic New to the Forum
One unit is in the living room and will do the whole main floor just fine. The other is in the master bedroom.
The other 2 bedrooms have to use the base board heaters (same goes for the basement which is on low only to keep pipes from freezing)

So for January, we ran only baseboard heat and the bill was $100 more than February when we relied on the mini split to heat the living area.

We just moved in, so I'm interested to see how well it cools the house in the summer

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
5 years 3 weeks ago #28095 by mtwoods1
Mine is a 1911 Craftsman house. The outside heat pumps developed a leak after 16 years of service ( I installed it myself). Last month’s electric bill was $450 on the 5KW emergency heating coil in the air handler. When I installed the heat pump I had to build the ductwork from scratch. The only existing ducts we’re feeding the 2nd floor. The basement is a 3/4 and usable as a living space so that has to be conditioned too. When I moved in there was almost no insulation on the ground floor. Now it is nearly fully insulated but at the expense of the lathe and plaster walls. All the insulated wall are now Sheetrock. The heat pump arrives tomorrow at noon. That’s what I’ll be working on for the next couple of days...

Time to create page: 0.261 seconds