Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

More
5 years 4 months ago #25472 by haze5736
New member was created by haze5736
Hello all. I'm a new member on the Scanner Danner site. I've been watching his videos on youtube for a few months. I've also been watching many other auto diagnostic youtube channels. I can't stop watching them. I find it to be fascinating how they can systematically track down a fault and fix it with 100% certainty that they found the problem. I would love to find a mechanic in my area that does this type of diagnostic work.

I've been working on my own cars ever since I got my first one at age 18. I'm now 45. Over the years I've moved up in the complexity of repairs I am willing to perform. Everything else goes to a shop. However, I never learned how to do a proper diagnosis. I've always relied on forums and the known issues to point me in the right direction. Now I want to learn to do proper diagnosis. Especially now that I am maintaining 5 vehicles.

I do plan to buy the book at some point. I'm hoping shortly after Christmas after things settle down.

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself as I'm sure I'll be asking questions at some point.

Thanks,
Bill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #25479 by Andy.MacFadyen
Replied by Andy.MacFadyen on topic New member
Welcome:-) learn and enjoy don't be scared to ask questions as everyone learns from questions and answers. :-)

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Last edit: 5 years 4 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: haze5736

More
5 years 4 months ago #25500 by Dylan
Replied by Dylan on topic New member
Welcome aboard Bill. Thx for introducing yourself ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: haze5736

More
5 years 4 months ago #25505 by haze5736
Replied by haze5736 on topic New member
Thank you both for the welcome.

Can anyone suggest some good, and free or inexpensive, online resources for learning the basic theory of automotive systems? I have no idea what a waste spark system is or what primary and secondary ignition is. I know I can google those terms, and have, to get some information. But what I'm really looking for is a one stop shop for credible, concise and easy to understand information. I don't want to spend many hundreds or thousands of dollars on college or tech school classes at this point, but am willing to spend some money if it gets me at least close to what I'm looking for. And I'm not just interested in ignition, I want to learn about most or all of the systems. Thanks.

More
5 years 4 months ago #25533 by Oventech1126
Replied by Oventech1126 on topic New member
Hello everyone my name is Tim West , Im here to meet great people and be a part of this great educational program in the automotive field again,
Ive been following scannerdanner for quite sometime and lost him when youtube stabbed him in the back , but being the great person he is he landed on his feet just like the professionals do , Im sure if your here everyone is great people as well and I only surround myself with great people , so hello everyone and at this point and time merry christmas to everyone of you and hope you will help me along the way as I would you if I could ,

thank you for accepting me and I know I will learn tremendous things here from all the great people and professionals alike .

Thank You
Tim

More
5 years 4 months ago #25542 by Andy.MacFadyen

haze5736 wrote: Thank you both for the welcome.

Can anyone suggest some good, and free or inexpensive, online resources for learning the basic theory of automotive systems? I have no idea what a waste spark system is or what primary and secondary ignition is. I know I can google those terms, and have, to get some information. But what I'm really looking for is a one stop shop for credible, concise and easy to understand information. I don't want to spend many hundreds or thousands of dollars on college or tech school classes at this point, but am willing to spend some money if it gets me at least close to what I'm looking for. And I'm not just interested in ignition, I want to learn about most or all of the systems. Thanks.

Okay I see where you are coming from explaining the basic terms we use is a good idea. Over the next few days I will start work on running up a basic list and simple explanation of the terms we use when discussing ignition system. A lot is already in the book and eBook and premium channel but for a lot nubeeies to cars just getting to grips with terms is a major step.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

More
5 years 4 months ago #25543 by Andy.MacFadyen

Oventech1126 wrote: Hello everyone my name is Tim West , Im here to meet great people and be a part of this great educational program in the automotive field again,
Ive been following scannerdanner for quite sometime and lost him when youtube stabbed him in the back , but being the great person he is he landed on his feet just like the professionals do , Im sure if your here everyone is great people as well and I only surround myself with great people , so hello everyone and at this point and time merry christmas to everyone of you and hope you will help me along the way as I would you if I could ,

thank you for accepting me and I know I will learn tremendous things here from all the great people and professionals alike .

Thank You
Tim

Just having new like-minded members like yourself is what we are here for welcome aboard :-)

More
5 years 4 months ago #25547 by haze5736
Replied by haze5736 on topic New member

Andy.MacFadyen wrote:

haze5736 wrote: Thank you both for the welcome.

Okay I see where you are coming from explaining the basic terms we use is a good idea. Over the next few days I will start work on running up a basic list and simple explanation of the terms we use when discussing ignition system. A lot is already in the book and eBook and premium channel but for a lot nubeeies to cars just getting to grips with terms is a major step.

So, does the book actually explain the theory behind the various systems? My first instinct was to buy the book but after reading the description on the aeswave website I wasn't sure. I'd certainly be willing to invest the $100 to get started if it will teach me the theory behind the systems.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #25608 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic New member
I would suggest taking the 14 day free trial of Scanner Danner Premium to get a feel for whats in the book. He teaches his class right out of the book, so if it seems like the kind of material your looking for you can decide if you want to pull the trigger on the book. $100 is a lot of money, but it's a sound investment in your education if you're serious about working on cars.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"
Last edit: 5 years 4 months ago by Noah.

Time to create page: 0.216 seconds