Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Thanks Scannerdanner!!!!

More
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #20882 by nathan.carpenter
My first post here, I'm still on my trial period for scannerdanner premium, I just wanted to say thank u to Mr Danner for completely changing my perspective and my approach to diagnostics. I am a professional technician and have been in the industry for about nine years total, and I have never worked with a true diagnostic tech, let alone one that even knows how to operate a labscope. Since subscribing to your YouTube channel and now joining your premium site I have surpassed my coworkers in diagnostic knowledge and it's all because of you!! I still have a lot to learn and am excited everytime a new video gets posted, so u r my teacher for sure!! Keep up the great work
On a side note I have attached a Pic of my "new to me" Verus pro and my homemade obd breakout box I just completed minutes ago :)
Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by nathan.carpenter.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 11 months ago #20901 by ScannerDanner
Thank you so much Nathan! Welcome to our community. You will not find a more friendly place to post. Have a blessed day

Don't be a parts changer!

More
5 years 11 months ago #20914 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Thanks Scannerdanner!!!!
Nathan, we're gonna need you to post details about your homemade BOB. ;)

Also welcome to the forums!

More
5 years 11 months ago #20916 by Dylan
Replied by Dylan on topic Thanks Scannerdanner!!!!
Welcome to the forum Nathan ;)

More
5 years 11 months ago #20918 by nathan.carpenter
Absolutely!!! Just finished an 11 hour work day and feeling a bit exhausted but as soon as I wind down I'll try to give a short writeup on the breakout box, only spent about 25 dollars or so on it, far from perfect but it does what I wanted it to :)

More
5 years 11 months ago #20940 by nathan.carpenter
Okay so I started off by stopping at a local electronics hobby store and purchased a "project box" which is just a plastic box with a lid held on with four screws $6.99
Second I hopped on Amazon and found a 9.8 foot long obd2 extension cable, I avoided the ribbon style cables but that is just personal preference $14.99 I also ordered 16 banana plug style connectors with nuts on the bottom side to secure to the project box lid, ~$15
Drill a hole in one side of the project box big enough to run the obd cable through
Cut off the female end of the cable and cut the shielding back about six inches leaving all 16 individual wires exposed and strip a little bit of each wire insulation back just enough to connect to each banana plug
Take a meter and go over each wire measuring resistance while touching on the male pins at other end of cable in order to identify which pin goes to which wire color and record the findings on a sheet of paper
Drill 16 holes in the lid of the box just large enough to accomodate mounting the banana plugs and secure each plug to each hole so that all 16 banana plugs are mounted on the lid, if u have OCD make sure to evenly space them out :)
I used red plugs for top row and black for bottom, again just preference/laziness
Connect each wire to each plug being sure to do it in a way that reflects the layout of the actual obd2 connector
Secure lid to box and decorate as u see fit :) done!
Cheapo obd breakout box!!

More
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #20941 by nathan.carpenter
I may go back and connect a second cable to the other end of the box in order to connect a scan tool to it for convenience
Also the Pic in my first post shows the CAN line data as measured through this homemade box in my fiancees 09 camry 2.4, so it does work quite well although that is the only test I have done with it thus far
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by nathan.carpenter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

Time to create page: 0.265 seconds